Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:13:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1858 Texas Ranger Patrol for What A Cowboy (UPDATE 26.10 Rain Stops Play)  (Read 2626 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Working on a patrol of Texas Rangers to take on Comanches, Mexican Banditos and Comancheros on  the Texas frontier in 1858.

Meet Ranger Private Woodrow Hall. Bored by the prospect of backbreaking toil on a Texas frontier farm at risk of attack by Comanches and Mexican bandit gangs, young Woodrow joined Captain Ford's Ranger company, impressing the Captain with his single-minded determination and coolness under fire. Bandits and Indian braves alike have felt the sting of lead from Hall's Walker Colt revolvers: his marksmanship is impressive for one so young.

Woodrow has been painted using mid-tone base coats over a white undercoat followed by a brushed on coat of Army Painter Strongtone dip. After 72 hours curing, I matte it down with brushed on Testors Dullcote before adding 1-3 highlights to each area depending on how much I want each to 'pop'. Foundry and GW paints exclusively. The extreme close-ups do emphasise the shortcomings of the technique as opposed to the classic 'Dallimore' technique I used before my eyes went doolally, but he still looks pretty good to me and at 'tabletop distance' he looks extremely fine!

Captain Ford will be next...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 12:40:18 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
Re: 1858 Texas Ranger Patrol for What A Cowboy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 09:27:44 PM »
Great job! Those Foundry Old West figures are full of character, and I think the painting method has been very effective. He looks suitably rugged, just right for an outdoorsman.

I hope Hall will be joined by other McMurtry inspired colleagues?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 11:15:21 PM »
Great job! Those Foundry Old West figures are full of character, and I think the painting method has been very effective. He looks suitably rugged, just right for an outdoorsman.

I hope Hall will be joined by other McMurtry inspired colleagues?

Thank you! I do have a Gus McQuade on the painting table in the queue behind Captain Josiah C Ford (who is now done all bar the basing after this evening's work!)

Offline Clearco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • Clearco Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 09:06:05 AM »
Very nice!!  :-*

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »
That is one huge pistol.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 01:30:27 PM »
Itll do the job, if you can find a fence post to, rest it on.
And him no bigger than a corn nubbin.
😃

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 03:49:46 PM »
Great looking figure. Love the Foundry range, ideal that you get foot and mounted versions.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 05:43:00 PM »
That is one huge pistol.

Walker Colt. Not a subtle weapon. Hall clearly has the deluxe version!!  lol lol

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 10:33:31 PM »
Captain Josiah C Ford, Texas Rangers.

Captain Josiah C Ford served with the US Dragoons, fighting with distinction against Seminole and Sauk Fox Indians before resigning his commission to join the Texas Rangers in time for their service in the Texan War of Independence. Since then, he has led his company against Comanche Indians, Mexican Bandits and even Mexican regulars  and guerrillos in the Mexican American War. Now, at age 55, many believe his days leading the Rangers are almost over, but most men only voice this in range of Ford's hearing once! Courageous, demanding of his men and utterly merciless to the enemies of Texas, Ford is a man to be respected and feared

I gave Josiah C Ford an army background because the model's clothing suggested such and it also meant that I could use some rich and vibrant colours to help him to stand out amongst the rest of the posse. I do like to make leaders stand out, hence the white horse, pale blue Cavalry overcoat, Dragoon shell-jacket and red undershirt. Look at the pics of him with Private Hall to see how the colours on the two models differ. The rest of the gang will be more subdued like Hall, leaving Ford as the standout. I enjoyed painting him!

Offline Nightpaw

• Librarian
Re: 1858 Texas Ranger Patrol for What A Cowboy (UPDATE 14.10 Capt. Ford)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 11:30:00 AM »
Another cool model, I really like the way you bring those good old Foundry models to life!

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 12:14:30 PM »

Amazing work on his overcoat.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
Thank you for the positive comments, folks. Glad y'all are loving these old Foundry models!

Here is the next one - Sergeant Ezekiel Hays.

As a 20 yr old Ranger, Hays was on patrol with five other men when they were jumped by over 100 Comanches. Forting up behind their horses in an old buffalo wallow, they beat off the first charge with volleys of revolver fire whereupon the Indians resorted to circling, probing and sniping for the best part of five hours. As water and ammo ran out, Hays spotted a warrior in a magnificent war bonnet on a hillock a good 300yds away. Despite the extreme range of the shot, he aimed his Plains Rifle and fired. The warrior dropped! Clearly the white men had powerful medicine that day and the rest of the Indians scooped up their wounded leader and withdrew. Hays’ has always dismissed the event, stating that "a whole lotta luck and a hefty prayer to the Almighty" caused the successful shot, but none can deny that his reputation soared as a result!

I love this model - so evocative of that 1850-1861 period on the Frontier.

The eagle-eyed among you who are following this thread may have noticed a little trick I've applied to the posse: every model has at least one shade of blue on them somewhere. I often do this with irregular or non-uniformed units/forces, just to have something to tie them all in together. On this posse it's variant shades of blue. I'm also loving the dark blue I achieved on Ezekiel's under jacket. I'm thinking my Hollywood US Cavalry might benefit from that rather than the traditional blue everyone uses, as it's a bit more 'Hollywood Dirty-Shirt Blue'. I also like the Yellow Ochre neckerchief and may use that rather than bright yellow on the Hollywood cavalry too. Anyway, that's for the future. I have two more chaps in this posse to do first! But for now, please enjoy Ezekiel 'Long Rifle' Hays...

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Re: 1858 Texas Ranger Patrol for What A Cowboy (UPDATE 17.10 Sgt Ezekiel Hays)
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 09:46:05 AM »
Very nice, the one on the left looks like Mick Jagger to me.  :)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 12:33:49 PM »
Very nice, the one on the left looks like Mick Jagger to me.  :)

Funny, I thought he looked like Michael Landon!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 01:11:14 PM »
Walker Colt, proper handful of shooting iron!!!
 :o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"