Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Last War Campaign Begins  (Read 1929 times)

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
The Last War Campaign Begins
« on: October 23, 2023, 03:06:54 AM »
Kurt and I kicked off our first campaign game for "Forbidden Psalm: The Last War" and WOW! Was it a doozy! The details can be found at https://punkrabbittsgamesandhobbies.blogspot.com/2023/10/the-last-war-campaign-begins.html

Please let me know what you think!
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: The Last War Campaign Begins
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 07:50:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing - seems Weird WWI is on a bit ‘thing’ now!

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 02:05:01 PM »
Nice battle report.

I'm intrigued by this game but I really have enough projects already.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 06:15:18 PM »
Nice idea for the trenches. Makes a change from the unfeasibly steep slopes.

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 03:14:41 AM »
I'm intrigued by this game but I really have enough projects already.

That's where I was with it. I also can't afford to get into anything new. But Kurt bought plastic boxes from Wargames Atlantic for his French and Germans while spending a lot of time and effort working on the trench scenery. So he kicked a sprue of the opposing forces my way, and I knocked them out in no time. I've always wanted to do something WWI-ish and this has finally given me the chance. I think when I was 7 or 8 I had the Airfix WWI German figures, and I've always been fascinated by the Great War.

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 03:16:24 AM »
Nice idea for the trenches. Makes a change from the unfeasibly steep slopes.

That is all Kurt's work. The only thing I supplied for the scenery in this game is the bottom board, because we were at my home and I had the board ready to go. He is much more motivated about getting a project completed than I am.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 05:58:32 AM »
Good stuff!

I'd been contemplating getting into The Last War for a year now (roughly) and this this thread has revitalised my interest in it!

I've been having a look at all the options for miniatures and it really seems that Wargames Atlantic's sprue is the only sane choice in terms of WYSIWYG-equipped models. There's some great alternatives out there, but they just don't offer the same flexibility.

What are you doing for anti-tank rifles, flame throwers and sniper rifles? I don't think I saw any of those in the WA kits?
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 02:01:24 AM »
Good stuff!

Thank you!

I'd been contemplating getting into The Last War for a year now (roughly) and this this thread has revitalised my interest in it!

I hadn't heard of it until Kurt started working on it... the game has some good solo opportunities and that was his original intent, but I wanted to jump in and here we are. I think it is really, really good. We play a lot of random crap and this is definitely in my top three.

I've been having a look at all the options for miniatures and it really seems that Wargames Atlantic's sprue is the only sane choice in terms of WYSIWYG-equipped models. There's some great alternatives out there, but they just don't offer the same flexibility.

WYSIWYG is not a rule for this game, but I too enjoy that aspect of modeling. During the course of the campaign, the Crew members will improve their equipment, often from one game to the next. I built a guy shooting a rifle with bayonet attached; in that first game, he was only equipped with a bayonet. During the course of the game, he managed to obtain a rifle by looting corpses. it was a lucky break, otherwise I was going to spend some of my hard-earned Resources to equip him with one to match the model. Wargames Atlantic stuff is great, by the way. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

What are you doing for anti-tank rifles, flame throwers and sniper rifles? I don't think I saw any of those in the WA kits?

I am a bit of a conversion nut with a keen eye for fun over realism. So I am going to kitbash, convert, or construct what I need. My Crew has acquired an Anti-Tank Rifle and some Metal Plate armor. So, I am ordering a medieval foot knight and equipping him with some 1/35 scale pieces, a K98 and a bipod from an MG-34 to represent the gun. It's not a perfect match for the Tankgewehr M1918 but it will get the idea across well enough.

I appreciate the thoughts and questions :)

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 02:41:07 PM »
My Crew has acquired an Anti-Tank Rifle and some Metal Plate armor. So, I am ordering a medieval foot knight and equipping him with some 1/35 scale pieces, a K98 and a bipod from an MG-34 to represent the gun. It's not a perfect match for the Tankgewehr M1918 but it will get the idea across well enough.

What a good idea: upscaling a regular size rifle to represent the anti-tank gun. I had a similar thought myself!

If you're interested, Wargames Atlantic teamed up with Only Games to print a small pack of "Weird War One" components for the Wargames Atlantic WW1 kits:

https://only-games.co/products/weird-war-one-conversion-parts

It's mostly odd headwear, but there's a flame-thrower if you need one!

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 06:49:24 PM »
I have managed to acquire a 1:35 scale Tankgewehr M1918!

I've PM'd you in case you're interested in taking it off me...  ;)