Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Raglan and Rob's 1385 Campaign (The latest instalment has been added)  (Read 4269 times)

Offline historian in harness

• Assistant
t's 1385. A young Richard II, led by his uncle John of Gaunt, raises an army to make war on the Scots.

The French dispatch Jean de Vienne with a force by sea to support their allies.

The scene is set for a Hundred Years War campaign, to be fought between me (playing Richard II and the English) and Raglan (playing the Franco-Scottish forces). We're planning a mixture of skirmish and big battle games, using my rules - 'Écorcheurs' for the skirmishes, and 'Blood and Horse Droppings ' for the big battles.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 08:40:32 AM by historian in harness »

• Assistant
Re: Raglan and Rob's 1385 Campaign
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 11:40:04 AM »
The First Engagement

Richard II forms an army & marches north. The French, honouring their treaty with the Scots, send a force under Jean de Vienne, Admiral of France, who sail northward. The French fleet, meets with a storm & are scattered.

Two ships, carrying the men of Jean de Levis & Louis de Vuitton, are driven onto the English shore. As they head up the coast to join the rest of the fleet, they're tracked by English hobelars.

In need of fresh water, the force lands at a coastal spring. The hobelars are in hot pursuit, and local forces cannot be far behind.

Whilst de Levis' troops collected the tuns of water, de Vuitton guards the ships, lining the stream. In response, the hobelars close, threatening the French & stalling for the arrival of the English forces.

But where were they? As the barrels are filled the hobelars get desperate, seeing the chance of defeating the French, & a lucrative ransom, slip away. Their captain, Thomas of Hilfinger, launches a charge. which is disrupted by the stream & the accurate shot of Louis' crossbows.

As the combat flows back and forth over the brook, there is still no sign of the English relief. It would appear that their captain, Ralph de Lauren, was having difficulty fitting his armour, possibly as a result of over-celebrating at Easter.

By the time he squeezes into his pair of plates and gets his troops to the field, the hobelars were broken and Thomas, surrounded and killed.

Nevertheless, Ralph shakes his archers into line, and they loose volleys of ariows at the French, who become pinned behind their pavises. Braving the rain of arrows,

Braving the rain of arrows Louis leads his spearmen against the English. His men drive off the English, & beat Ralph to submission, taking him captive. Despite an attempt to rescue him, the English flee the field, leaving the French to regain their ships, & rejoin their cousins.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »
Fantastic looking game! I'm stealing your ideas! ;)
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »
Great table and miniatures!

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 06:46:29 PM »
Now that seems and sounds a fun game. :-* :-* :-*

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 10:45:31 PM »
This is excellent. I love the ships!

Interested in the rules as well, can you tell us more about them?

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 04:08:52 PM »
This is excellent. I love the ships!

Interested in the rules as well, can you tell us more about them?

Thanks for your interest. The big battle rules (which we have used for today's game - watch this space for a report) can be found as a free download here - www.historianinharness.co.uk/medieval-wargaming/bahd

The skirmish rules have a similar feel and flavour, and I am hopeful that they will soon be in print, but for the moment you'll need to watch this space.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 05:41:56 PM »
Thank you. I was reading your Big Battle rules just last night. They look very interesting and I'm planning on digging my WotR forces out to give them a go. Thanks for giving them out for free!

• Assistant
Re: Raglan and Rob's 1385 Campaign (Updated with Second Engagement)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 05:58:02 PM »
The Second Engagement

Having gathered his scattered fleet Jean de Vienne, the Admiral of France, landed on the coast north of Durham, with the intent of crossing the border and joining his waiting Scottish allies.

There was just time to make a short detour and assault one of the smaller English border castles...

The English garrison, captained by Jasper a younger nephew in the great Percy clan, sallies out with the intent of breaking the French before they establish their siege.

The French quickly forms a defensive line of men-at-arms and crossbows.

The English advance, closing the range to bring their deadly bows to bear, but young Percy lacks experience and the initiative falls to the French, who are quick to close range and engage.

The English captain takes a step back blunting de Vienne's charge, but it's not enough and, after a brief exchange the first of the English 'herce'* flees.

(*In BaHD English forces can field mixed companies of men-at-arms and bows. Such companies are called herce after Froissart's description of the English formations).

The news is not much better on the other flank, and the English archers struggle to find their mark.

Jasper Percy charges the French crossbows but can gain no purchase against them. His men's resolve fails and they break, fleeing for the castle gates.

So, another loss for the English.

A fun game, even if I lost once more, played using my 'Blood and Horse Droppings' rules, and Gareth Lane's lovely figures & terrain.

The next game will be a skirmish again, as young Percy tries to reach the gates with the French close on his heels.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 10:37:53 AM »
Cracking looking table as usual from Gareth.

Thanks for posting the rules for free, look forward to giving them a try out

Cheers

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 03:36:57 AM »
Nice table and miniatures.  Looks like a great game.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 10:12:32 AM »
Brilliant write-up Sir Robert, really looking forward to the 3rd encounter mate👌

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 06:56:32 AM »
Brilliant write-up Sir Robert, really looking forward to the 3rd encounter mate👌

Most definitely a "I want to play too" game!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 02:40:31 PM »
A wonderful setup, miniatures, and terrain.  Thank for sharing. 

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 02:03:47 AM »
Gentlemen, awesome effort here! Gareth painting, building.
Robert, rules writing.
Love the names of the Lords.
I got here from the Twitter link, thanks Robert.