Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Great War British Infantry from Wargames Atlantic  (Read 1302 times)

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
28mm Great War British Infantry from Wargames Atlantic
« on: October 24, 2023, 03:07:22 AM »

Another top-notch product from Wargames Atlantic. Well cast, nicely detailed, convincingly animated and affordable is a rare combination and this set ticks ALL the boxes!  More here   https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2023/10/wargames-atlantic-28mm-great-war.html

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: 28mm Great War British Infantry from Wargames Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
They do look very nice. Still buggered as to why WA seemed to think that the cross straps to the '08 webbing form an 'H' shape rather than an 'X'. It means that you have to use the packs unless you fancy carving off the straps and replacing them with green stuff. A small point but baffling and reduces their utility somewhat. That and the absence of an officer figure. Damned if you do, damned if you don't with that one though, unless you made a separate command frame thus increasing tooling costs.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 10:04:53 AM »
And Wolseleys are included, cool!

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 12:52:49 AM »
With a bit of pressure we could likely get them to produce an officer(s) in their 3-d print line.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 10:18:13 AM »
Also no entrenching tool head and cover - not such a bugbear if you're making them early war, as it was hidden under other kit, but an essential part of the "look" for 1916 onwards.  And why, when they've supplied 8 rifles for every five figures, could they not have made just ONE of them with a grenade launcher cup?

Still waiting for mine, as it was part of a multiple order and when the supplier finally got the British in, some of the other elements had become "out of stock"!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 10:21:03 AM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 09:44:57 AM »
As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, they have matching left arm and rifles but no indication of the required right arm, plus balancing the body, the left and right arms plus the rifle during assembly is a nightmare.

This is especially galling as the German set does have integrated right arms.

This makes no sense as the British only have rifles (see comment about rifle grenades) so there is no obvious reason for separate rifles.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »
I much prefer the integrated arms and rifle that you see in Warlord and Perry sets; there are only so many rifle/arm alignments but you can still mix things up (eg running and working the bolt). Gluing up two arms and a rifle really drives me mad - and the sheer number of non rifle arms in the Atlantic German box was a real pain.

Lack of a bespoke officer figure is a bit silly; that said by 17/18 you don’t need the officers hat and unless you are going pristine, I’d not be too bothered about piping etc. as long as there is a pistol you’re fine and even then, I suspect ( I won’t pretend to know) that a lot of officers carried rifles so as to make a snipers life more difficult…

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 07:56:09 AM »
From at least mid-1916 onwards*, junior officers were wearing the same tunics as privates (known, rather unkindly, as "funk jackets") and carrying rifles for exactly that purpose.

I just find it odd that WA managed to make so many mistakes with these figures, especially after all the feedback they received from the German and French sets.

[* There's a painting of a unit advancing on Day 1 of the Somme with an officer doing exactly that - he survived the war and was one of the veterans that the artist consulted. ]