Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Titles and changes  (Read 1730 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Titles and changes
« on: November 09, 2023, 05:57:43 PM »
Oh, the difficulties of keeping track of title changes when one is a provincial, unused to aristocratic titles.

A number of years passed before I realized that Lord Sackville, the butt of Minden rancor, was later upgraded to Lord Germain, the colonial secretary who inadvertently greatly aided the Patriot/Whig cause during the American Revolution.

Just now I discovered that Lord Paget was later morphed to Lord Uxbridge. After nearly sixty years of Napoleonic gaming. Harumph.

Some years back an email system at my job had a field for title. I entered Duke of Earl. Some years later one guy noticed. He was old enough to recall the song.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
Re: Titles and changes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 10:15:07 PM »
Sir,

You do Paget / Uxbridge a grave disservice in neglecting his later title of Marquess of Anglesey.

Armand Louis de Gontaut is also worthy of your attention as Duc de Lauzun in one revolution and Duc de Biron in another, the latter resulting in his head being parted from his body by the monstrous device known as a guillotine.

By a curious symmetry we conclude by bringing to your attention the first Viscount Combermere, a title adopted in 1818 by Stapleton Cotton, who, as you are doubtless cognisant, was Wellington’s preferred choice as commander of cavalry for the campaign of 1815 but, being unavailable,  was supplanted in that role by Lord Uxbridge.

Yr. servant,

Cholmondely Percival Esq.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:31:20 PM by Cholmondely Percival IV »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 10:32:38 PM »
I entered Duke of Earl. Some years later one guy noticed. He was old enough to recall the song.

I’m old enough to remember the song and I remember when it appeared finding the title unintentionally (presumably) funny, like calling someone the President of Congressman.

🎵 Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl
Duke, Duke, Duke of Earl🎵

They don’t write ‘em like that anymore  :D :D :D

Doug

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 10:48:11 PM »
Gene Chandler will always be known for Duke of Earl. But his cover of 'There was a Time' kicks the James Brown original into touch. It is fantastic and it is what I'll remember him for.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 11:19:35 PM »
A number of years passed before I realized that Lord Sackville, the butt of Minden rancor, was later upgraded to Lord Germain, the colonial secretary who inadvertently greatly aided the Patriot/Whig cause during the American Revolution.

Sackville/Germain was a renowned - and somewhat aggressive - homosexual, and this is thought to have been the root cause of the poor reputation he has gained, both as a soldier and as an administrator.  Both are undeserved, but especially the latter - he was solely responsible for assembling the fleet of merchant ships that transported 30,000 British and German troops and all the necessary supplies to support them, to America for the 1776 campaign - one that we should remember came within an ace of winning the war.  At that time, a maritime transportation of such magnitude was unheard of, certainly outside of the Far East.  Possibly the only major error of his ministerial career was allowing Burgoyne to sweet-talk him into giving Gentleman Johnny command of the invasion of upper New York the following year, rather than Carleton or Cornwallis, who were both being touted as the best options.

One of his companions was reputedly Benjamin Thompson, later Count von Rumford, the Bavarian War Minister; the evidence is not cut-and-dried and it is quite possible that he also suffered from the jealousy of others.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 04:31:18 PM »
Sir,

You do Paget / Uxbridge a grave disservice in neglecting his later title of Marquess of Anglesey.

Armand Louis de Gontaut is also worthy of your attention as Duc de Lauzun in one revolution and Duc de Biron in another, the latter resulting in his head being parted from his body by the monstrous device known as a guillotine.

By a curious symmetry we conclude by bringing to your attention the first Viscount Combermere, a title adopted in 1818 by Stapleton Cotton, who, as you are doubtless cognisant, was Wellington’s preferred choice as commander of cavalry for the campaign of 1815 but, being unavailable,  was supplanted in that role by Lord Uxbridge.

Yr. servant,

Cholmondely Percival Esq.

Sir, most appreciate the timely information. I imagine Wellington was less than pleased to have the man who cuckolded his brother in charge of the cavalry. I was recently on tour in the UK and the mention of Anglesey jogged my memory (rusty thing that it is).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 04:35:06 PM by vtsaogames »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 04:39:06 PM »
Sackville/Germain was a renowned - and somewhat aggressive - homosexual, and this is thought to have been the root cause of the poor reputation he has gained, both as a soldier and as an administrator.  Both are undeserved, but especially the latter - he was solely responsible for assembling the fleet of merchant ships that transported 30,000 British and German troops and all the necessary supplies to support them, to America for the 1776 campaign - one that we should remember came within an ace of winning the war.  At that time, a maritime transportation of such magnitude was unheard of, certainly outside of the Far East.  Possibly the only major error of his ministerial career was allowing Burgoyne to sweet-talk him into giving Gentleman Johnny command of the invasion of upper New York the following year, rather than Carleton or Cornwallis, who were both being touted as the best options.

One of his companions was reputedly Benjamin Thompson, later Count von Rumford, the Bavarian War Minister; the evidence is not cut-and-dried and it is quite possible that he also suffered from the jealousy of others.

As for Germain, I was mainly thinking of the foul-up when he neglected to send a post informing Howe of Burgoyne's itinerary down the Hudson. Yes, putting together the armada was a feat. The Saratoga-Philadelphia campaign was something else.

In any case, I have kept my moniker the same for over 70 years and don't intend to change it now.

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 06:15:39 PM »
You are welcome for the information. I trust that during your visit you did not follow the quite recent example of one of your compatriots by blindly following the directions of an automated aide (apparently known as a ‘Sat Nav’) and drive directly into the sea? As chance would have it, he was headed for Anglesey, apparently unaware that it is an island. Fellow should have been horsewhipped.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 06:28:39 PM »
It happens in other periods too.  ::)

I had to research who John of Gaunt, as mentioned in English, was in the HYW.
Found he was the “Duc de Lancastre“ as French old books and historians always call him – and they were never trying to make any difference with other Dukes bearing the same title. So we have the Duke de Lancastre doing many different things at different times in different places and he is never the same one.  :D

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 06:43:28 PM »
As for Germain, I was mainly thinking of the foul-up when he neglected to send a post informing Howe of Burgoyne's itinerary down the Hudson. Yes, putting together the armada was a feat. The Saratoga-Philadelphia campaign was something else.

I rather suspect that Howe knew damned well what was happening, but decided that he had more important (and financially rewarding) fish to fry.  There's no "Howe" in "team".....

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 03:31:36 PM »
I rather suspect that Howe knew damned well what was happening, but decided that he had more important (and financially rewarding) fish to fry.  There's no "Howe" in "team".....

And the charms of Mrs. Loring...

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
And the charms of Mrs. Loring...

Some year ago, on the old Yahoo! Revlist website, there was a poll to discover the 10 Americans who had contributed most to the fight for independence. 

Mrs Loring came in at a very creditable 7th.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 03:26:25 AM »
Some year ago, on the old Yahoo! Revlist website, there was a poll to discover the 10 Americans who had contributed most to the fight for independence. 

Mrs Loring came in at a very creditable 7th.

Wallis Simpson might do well in a similar WWII poll.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 02:25:56 PM »
Around the time of the late Queen's death, 14 months ago, I did point out that we owed America one for sending us Wallis Simpson.  Without her, we would have had Eddy VIII until 1972, so no George VI (a pretty decent King despite the speech impediment) and 20 years less of Liz II.  Thanks!!!

Of course, you then sent us Megan Markle..... o_o

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2023, 05:20:40 PM »
Around the time of the late Queen's death, 14 months ago, I did point out that we owed America one for sending us Wallis Simpson.  Without her, we would have had Eddy VIII until 1972, so no George VI (a pretty decent King despite the speech impediment) and 20 years less of Liz II.  Thanks!!!

Of course, you then sent us Megan Markle..... o_o

Who knows how her legacy will look in 20+ years? (ducks and covers)

On another tangent, I used to work at the NYU library back in the 70s. When a crate of books would arrive from the UK, all the guys would rush over to help unpack them, since they were wrapped in UK tabloids, including the extremely sparsely clad page 2 girls.