Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 07:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1703214
  • Total Topics: 119263
  • Online Today: 615
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleon - the movie  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Napoleon - the Sequel. Actor? Director?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2023, 10:35:05 AM »
Well if helps..... Jimmy Nail as Ney (Why Neye mon) and Cheryl Tweedy as the Empress Marie Louise. Ridley's muted palette ain't going to work with that one. Break out the Technicolour.

only if jimmy gets to sing the theme song.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Napoleon - the movie
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »
He could just reuse Ain't No Doubt. Seems to work and think at the residuals he would get through the streaming services  for no effort at all.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2023, 11:21:56 AM »
Were you?  I believe you were threatening to carry out research for LAF and go and see it.

Research carried out, yes I was very entertained thanks. It's not like we get three flims a month that cater toward our interests.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
actually jimmy nail as ... napoleon .... hmmm, good match physically. Brooding intensity. Likes Country and Western.

missed opportunity.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2023, 04:04:52 PM »
...Question, does the movie show Blücher’s loyalty towards his promise to support Wellington at Waterloo … against the advice of his Chief of staff (Gneisenau) and that without that pivotal decision, Napoleon may have defeated the Wellington’s Anglo-Allied army and a major rewrite of history might have followed?

Nope. Prussians show up at the end as usual. However, instead of showing up to chase the beaten French, this time they fall on Napoleon's flank while the battle still rages. That's an improvement over previous film Waterloos that I've seen. There was one where Wellington (was it Olivier?) said "If Blucher doesn't show up soon I'll attack Napoleon myself". Must say, while I really didn't like Steiger's Napoleon in 1970, Christopher Plummer was fine as the Duke, way better than the current one.

Oh yeah, Boney is aware of Blucher's march before the shooting starts. Still, the uniforms were right, lots of troops and horses on screen, the cannons recoiled.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »
I liked the line in the movie Waterloo when Wellington says "Give me night or give me Blucher."

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2023, 07:03:32 PM »
They missed the chance (among others) where Uxbridge says near the end, "By God sir, I've lost my leg" and Wellington replies, "By God sir, so you have".

You think the Duke was still miffed Uxbridge ran off with his brother's wife?

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2023, 07:09:25 PM »
So... from this rather more measured thread amidst the anguished howling on the FB groups, my general take on this is that I'll probably still see it (after all, someone bothered to make this, rather than more Adventures of Marvel's Captain Catpiss Part 7 or Star Wars Episode XXXVI: A Shameless Cashgrab), but not by paying £20+ for the privilege of seeing it in the cinema. I'll wait for it to turn up for a fiver in Asda watch it for a bit of painting background noise....

Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »
Yeah, I will sometimes want to see a film anyway, despite reviews (or maybe because of) but given the very useful critiques, good and bad, I reckon it's not going to be for me. My interest would be largely historical - historical military at that - and if that's just going to disappoint then, no. For me, suspense of disbelief only works so far, and if you're filming a historical subject, the disbelief is likely to be constrained by historical fact (or at least, informed conjecture). '300' I liked, because it looked like a comic book, since it was based on a comic book, and that's all I expected.

Maybe sometimes ignorance really is bliss? If I didn't know about the wild inaccuracy perhaps I'd be able to enjoy it. Sadly, I'd then be tempted to believe the fiction as fact, which is one of Hollywood's beguiling poisons.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2023, 10:57:36 PM »
So... from this rather more measured thread amidst the anguished howling on the FB groups, my general take on this is that I'll probably still see it (after all, someone bothered to make this, rather than more Adventures of Marvel's Captain Catpiss Part 7 or Star Wars Episode XXXVI: A Shameless Cashgrab), but not by paying £20+ for the privilege of seeing it in the cinema. I'll wait for it to turn up for a fiver in Asda watch it for a bit of painting background noise....

Your whole post was rather hilarious and sadly sums up the film industry currently. I like the Asda plan, I do that too....but you have to be quick to catch them, I notice films go through a weird stage where after appearing at the introductory £10-£15 price  (depending on its box office success) in the top 10 they then disappear for sometimes a year and can only be found on Amazon at a ridiculous price before coming back at the £5 gig, or sometimes not at all.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2023, 01:01:56 AM »
It will stream before too long. Some of the streamers do a free trial period.  Just sayin' ;)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2023, 06:15:49 PM »
You think the Duke was still miffed Uxbridge ran off with his brother's wife?

Probably consoled himself with the thought that Uxbridge wasn't going to do much running after that.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2023, 07:08:29 PM »
Probably consoled himself with the thought that Uxbridge wasn't going to do much running after that.

He could still catch him on the hop.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2023, 11:05:43 PM »
Yeah but he won't be able to get a leg over. lol lol lol lol

He could still catch him on the hop.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain