Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:13:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GRANDVILLE by Bryan Talbot  (Read 3140 times)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
GRANDVILLE by Bryan Talbot
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:10:26 AM »
I borrowed this from the library a week or two back:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandville-Bryan-Talbot/dp/0224084887/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258110188&sr=1-1

A very VSF tale of mystery, spies, derring-do, groovy contraptions and dastardly Frenchmen where all the characters are fluffy animals.

I couldn't remember seeing it on the boards before, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

Well worth a read, typical Talbot inventiveness when it comes to baroque looking technology, and a pretty good story too. Thought some of you might be interested. Well, those two blokes in Shropshire, anyway.   ;)

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
Re: GRANDVILLE by Bryan Talbot
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »
cheers for that so its worth a look then? its been poping up on my Amazon recomends for a while because a bought The Adventures of Luther Wainwright.
gan canny kidder!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:57:43 PM »
I enjoyed it, yeah. Its not a densely plotted as some of his other stuff, but there are some nice in jokes and the artwork is as ever glorious (especially in full colour). Nice alternate history backstory too.

The animal characters look a bit jarring at first, but you get used to it after a couple of pages. Thinking of getting a copy of my own now.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
I borrowed this from the library a week or two back:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grandville-Bryan-Talbot/dp/0224084887/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258110188&sr=1-1

A very VSF tale of mystery, spies, derring-do, groovy contraptions and dastardly Frenchmen where all the characters are fluffy animals.

I couldn't remember seeing it on the boards before, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

Well worth a read, typical Talbot inventiveness when it comes to baroque looking technology, and a pretty good story too. Thought some of you might be interested. Well, those two blokes in Shropshire, anyway.   ;)

Never seen that before. It looks very intriguing and just the sort of odd story I like  :D

cheers for that so its worth a look then? its been poping up on my Amazon recomends for a while because a bought The Adventures of Luther Wainwright.

Nevrer seen that one either  :o

Looks like I will have some good reads coming up.

Thanks for the info, chaps!

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
Nevrer seen that one either  :o

Possibly because its actually Luther Arkwright. Luther Wainright would just be some spectacular walks around the Yorkshire dales.  ;)

Arkwright, of course, owns a grocers...  lol

Extremely good though, whatever the name. The second volume Heart of Empire isn't quite as good as the original, but still a lot better than most other writer/artists could turn out.

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »
GM your smart ar ;)thats what I get one finger typing and luch with a sarnie in the other hand, yeah if it had Arkwright it wouldn't have much dialogue or take up twice as much space :D. and feature errand boys on bikes along with large buxom district nurses ;)
Baron von J i have Leviathan the illustation's by Keith Thompson are wonderful and it worth checking out Scott Westerfeld's web site great stuff.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 12:37:42 PM »
Possibly because its actually Luther Arkwright. Luther Wainright would just be some spectacular walks around the Yorkshire dales.  ;)

Arkwright, of course, owns a grocers...  lol

Extremely good though, whatever the name. The second volume Heart of Empire isn't quite as good as the original, but still a lot better than most other writer/artists could turn out.

lol lol

Whether they're about old codgers wandering around hillsides or fat shopkeepers with a stammer,  I'll still look out for these books. And, isn't it a lovely coincidence how Grandville is almost the same as G-G-G-G-Granville?

I found my copy of Scarlet Traces recently, read it and realised I'd forgotten how good it was. This made me re-read the first two LOEG books, so I'm on a bit of a graphic novel kick at the mo  ;)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »
Scarlet Traces! That's what the damn thing's called, I was doing so many google searches the other day trying to find that book!
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
Scarlet Traces! That's what the damn thing's called, I was doing so many google searches the other day trying to find that book!

Ahh yes, an excellent book. I am in two minds whether to buy the sequel as it looks more Future wars than VSF.. :?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing