Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:52:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Hand sculpted or computer designed - what's better?

Hand sculpted
64 (91.4%)
Computer designed
6 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Hand sculpted or computer designed - what's better?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Raffles

• Lurker
Hand sculpted or computer designed - what's better?
« on: December 03, 2023, 05:27:21 PM »
Hi all,

First post here so go easy  ;D

What do you think makes the better mini? The old hand-sculpted designs from when the artist only had a tooth pick and a chunk of wax or green stuff to create a mini, or the new computer-aided design where the artist can create wonders with the click of a button?

For me, I think computer design has revolutionised mini sculpting, now artists can create minis that would be nigh on impossible to create with a tooth pick and sculpting tools due to the thin and delicate parts.

However, I find that most modern sculpts lack a "soul", for want of a better word, especially the latest Warhammer stuff. The models from the 80s/90s are far more appealing to me, though that might just be nostalgia. Those old models seem to ooze character whereas many modern ones seem more... commercial? Mass produced? Corporate? I'm not sure what it is, but a lot of them lack a "soul".

The mining dwarves created by the late, great, Colin Dixon are a good example:

From this blog: https://medium.com/@eric.seri/colin-dixon-in-memory-of-a-great-sculptor-artist-de7f85f0ffc8
They all have their individual expressions and look at though they're going to spring to life.

I'm not sure what this is from AoS.

For me there's too much going on which distracts from any "character" the model may have.

Naturally, this is all just my personal taste and there's probably many models that don't fit this criteria, but on the whole, I think I prefer the old ones.

What do you think?
~Raffles
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 05:33:17 PM by Raffles »

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: Hand sculpted or computer designed - what's better?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 05:52:32 PM »
While I have both types in my collection, I would have to agree that the hand sculpted miniatures have more character, and I like that you can recognize individual artists by their styles. Also, I find a lot of the computer designed figures to be overly fussy with details and actually less fun to paint.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 06:21:58 PM »
As someone who has done both professionally, I think there is a universal trend to oversimplify the skill in sculpting digitally, oh if it only was just the click of a button...

I don't think the medium is really the big factor here, so much as the security and repeatability of 3d. With a physical model, you reach a point where you think you would better leave well enough alone and ship it as is. With digital you can always just save and experiment, see how far you can go. This does indeed mean that flawed but characterful models are more common with physical and overwrought overly detailed is more common with digital work.

I do also think though that the current market is to blame for it. There are plenty of "flawed but characterful" figures out there in the 3d space, but they don't sell as well as the slick and generic-looking stuff. And sculptors, forever in the starving artist mindset, are bound to make more of what actually sells.

I do think a interesting side point to this conversation is looking at big-name sculptors who both did hand sculpting and later switched to digital, bob Naismith is a good example of this. And I will agree, his digital work looks very refined, but does not have a drop of the charm of his hand sculpted work.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 06:29:03 PM »
When sculpting, I prefer doing it by hand, I did not choose modeling as a hobby to spend even more time staring at a computer screen.

I do not like 3d printed stuff for the brittle nature of the material often used, I do not have any problem with the style itself- it is a question of the sculptor, not the material used. A lot of 3d sculptors come from computer game and/or anime design background, that can be seen on their stlye, which is different from the ones of wargame background. But then again, it is not about the material.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 07:19:04 PM »
The answer is depends on the sculptor.
There are some figures (no names but defensive canid) that just look poorly designed, others that have not been assembly tested.

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »
Hand sculpted for me, the computer stuff is amazing, but can be far too busy.

Sometimes more is just more :-[
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 09:00:27 PM »
If I like the figure a honestly do not care how it is made. I've seen great / good / OK / poor / bad / revolting examples of both kinds...

The folk that create figures blow me away with their skill - I have difficulty filling in the little gaps with green stuff TBH.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 12:04:51 AM »
To the original poster, that AoS thing is pretty big so not sure it is a fair comparison with a unit of dwarves. If anything suits "busy", a massive magic monster probably does, doesn't it? (But then I don't mind "busy" as much as some seem to, the old GW confrontation gangers from '88 are covered in doodads and I love them more than anything).

As to the question, I guess I just don't think in those terms. Good sculpting is good sculpting - if you want an example, have a look at Stephen May's current kickstarter for Dead Earth Miniatures. Digital sculpts that fit perfectly, aesthetically speaking, with the old Rogue Trader era Marine Scouts.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 02:48:24 AM »
I don't think the method of sculpting matters - the sculpts matter.  Using GW is a poor idea as well, because their current model styling is "turn it to 11!".

However, a cursory glance at 3D prints on Etsy, etc. show plenty of superb sculpts that are less spastic.  I love Knuckleduster miniatures for Old West, and no offense to Forrest but his digital sculpts are far superior to his previous manual sculpts.  I enjoy a lot of excellent Reaper miniatures which are absolutely digitally sculpted.

I know there is some "charm" in hand sculpted miniatures, and some (few) are really really good at it.  There are some superb hand-sculpted minis...but there is also a lot of trash out there, just like digital sculpts.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 07:58:14 AM »
We just tend to remember the good stuff. There have been good and bad designs in both media.
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 08:05:08 AM »
There are some thing that simply do not render very well in 3D printing. Ring/chain mail for example.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 08:21:12 AM »
I'm way too clumsy to sculpt by myself, but I did quite a few conversions with the help of Green Stuff and Milliput. Therefore I admire everybody who dares to sculpt with his hands. This is pure art to me. Actually I'm only the one who covers those masterpieces with a lick of paint.
I painted both and once painted, both are pleasing. I would second that a hand sculpted miniature is more charming, but that is more in my mind than anywhere else. Both are visions that were born in an artist's head and simply brought into the real world in different ways. Their value is equal from an artistic point of view. What makes the difference is the crafting skill needed to make a manifestation of the vision in this world beyond the limiting skull's sphere of the artist.
I don't want to offend any digital sculptor, but after all it is in fact pressing the right button. As a painter, I think I can dare to compare the process of sculpting by hand with painting on canvas or a miniature. It's making your vision come to reality and doesn't allow any mistake, other than you have to accept the flaws or go back to the start.
After years in the hobby - more attracted by painting than gaming - I admit that I really enjoy to recognize a certain sculptor's signature from his works. I don't think that I will grow old enough to tell the same about digitally sculpted miniatures after the next three decades.

My conclusion is, that I will continue to buy and paint what I find looking good - without any limitations in sculpting, material or production process.  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 08:23:20 AM by Michi »

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2023, 09:14:17 AM »
I do not like 3d printed stuff for the brittle nature of the material often used...
A number of manufacturers use 3D prints as the "greens", conventional white metal mouldings as the production items.

I have only prints from Anvil and Pandyman (the latter having improved their prints).
https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2021/12/pandyman-entertainment-police-office.html
For an interesting comparison, scroll down to the Firemen figures (old on the left, new on the right).
https://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2023/11/warfare-2023.html

There was an interesting article on some Renedra moulds - CAD and 3D printed figures being converted to plastic moulds via manual pantograph cutting rather than CAD-CAM.

Digital sculpts can be over complicated, just because they can does not mean they should.

Oh, and a characterful figure suitable for a Merlin type.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2023, 10:18:56 AM »
There are some thing that simply do not render very well in 3D printing. Ring/chain mail for example.
I cannot agree with that. Resin printers can produce very crisp chainmail. However a lot of 3D files are a bit shallow on surface texturing.

I don't want to offend any digital sculptor, but after all it is in fact pressing the right button.
As someone who dabbled with both and feeling a bit smartass right now let me add this: Traditional scculpting boils down to just pushing the right spots in putty as well.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 10:25:04 AM by Glitzer »

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2023, 10:27:57 AM »
The correct answer is definitely "it depends on the sculptor, and the purchaser's taste". There is absolutely no objectively correct answer to this question  lol

Digital sculpting and plastic injection allows for far, far more technically advanced models.

It's interesting that the OP used Drycha as the GW example in their post. I have and love that model, I think it's excellent. The painter's skill makes a difference - good painting will still draw the eye to a focal point. I do otherwise agree some of their current models are over-done; but many are far more clever and well thought out than a lot of uh... old school people... give credit for.

But I digress! Regardless of all the above I prefer hand-sculpted, still. This includes even some not particularly great sculpts - because I enjoy the charm and the cottage industry feel.
Much like vinyl, physical books, print magazines... there remains a space and a market for all sorts.