Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A greenhorn entering the wild west (Update April 3 '24)  (Read 4034 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
A greenhorn entering the wild west (Update April 3 '24)
« on: December 11, 2023, 08:57:43 AM »
Hey! I’m on LAF for ages now, but I am just starting with the wild west setting. I found the ‘Dead Man’s Hand’ kickstarter and was blown away, loved what I saw and knew I had to dive in. So I bought some resin cacti, 3D printed rock formations and 3D printed cacti, a box of HIPS females and a metal guy.
So much fun to paint, those HIPS models are so easy to do. The cacti and rock formations were also very easy to do.

And then I was stuck with another idea: a big hill with a mine entrance. Ever since playing Read Dead Online I loved the idea of mines in the wild west setting. I started out with a foamed pvc base and covered this with foam blocks, some cardboard, balsa wood to get basic shape.

Then I glued cork bark to the shape to get the rocky formations and I used more foam to cover it all and used duct tape to cover some pieces.

From there I covered it all with Modelling Compound from Geek Gaming. Such a fantastic product and it makes shaping scenery very easy. I then used a ready-made filler to smooth it well afterwards.

After the modelling compound I used fine sand and tile grout to cover the sandy parts and then soaked it well wih water. The tile grout is so cool to lock everything in place and make for a strong and sturdy sandy layer.

Then it was time to paint it all, that was the easiest step. I covered it with an acrylic brown spray and then applied oil washes to the rocky bits. Then it was mostly a matter of applying some contrast paints and drybrushing.
And then I wanted to add some plants. At first I went with some tufts and though I was finished. But after googling the wild west I saw it wasn’t as dusty and sandy as I thought! So I went to town with a lot more plants, gravel, turf, etc. to add more colour and greenery. And as a final touch I added two small bottles by the barrel and called it done!

Next up will be more painted ladies! So far I’m having a blast with this project!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:28:57 AM by Malebolgia »
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
Re: A greenhorn entering the wild west
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
Great looking stuff - an excellent start!

I love the "you can never have too many guns" bandit lady and the mine is spectacular.

Looking forward to further posts.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 11:23:41 AM »
Looking good mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:07:11 PM »
The mine looks sweet!!!

I recently got a 3D printer, Elegoo Neptune 4 Pro, but the only western stuff I've printed is some track for a train I have.  The engine is actually 1/64 scale and more like a WW2 era so now I'm looking for a more 1800s type locomotive boiler to 3D print so I can swap it out on the chassis.

I'd like to see some figures based on the movie "Goin South".  I need more females in the mix, those you show look fine.
The crow flies at midnight

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 03:26:29 PM »
Nice work on the terrain - which clearly looks like you have an Arizona setting based on so many saguaro - though could sneak into a bit of California or New Mexico, or a lot of Mexico, see Sonoran desert maps.

The part of the west where stuff really happened does not look like Monument Valley where almost nothing actually happened.  A lot happened in Arizona.  So, no, not so sandy but lots and lots of cacti and plenty of mountains with places for mines.

Not sure about all these Women of the Old West with guns but to each their own.  Mostly would be women defending homesteads using guns.  But cool figures.  If you are doing a 'fantastic' Old West, you are good.  But if you want a little more 'historical' Old West, you need more men.  Seems the 'fantastic' is pretty popular of late, not fantasy, just flights of fancy sort of games.

Have fun with it.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 07:47:17 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I love the "you can never have too many guns" bandit lady and the mine is spectacular.

Looking forward to further posts.

Thanks man! And yeah, the third pistol was a spontaneous idea, but I really liked how it looked. And more to come the following months!

I'd like to see some figures based on the movie "Goin South".  I need more females in the mix, those you show look fine.

The females by Great Escape Games are great. Best thing is they are HIPS, so very durable and a lot of options for poses and weapons.

Nice work on the terrain - which clearly looks like you have an Arizona setting based on so many saguaro - though could sneak into a bit of California or New Mexico, or a lot of Mexico, see Sonoran desert maps.

The part of the west where stuff really happened does not look like Monument Valley where almost nothing actually happened.  A lot happened in Arizona.  So, no, not so sandy but lots and lots of cacti and plenty of mountains with places for mines.

Not sure about all these Women of the Old West with guns but to each their own.  Mostly would be women defending homesteads using guns.  But cool figures.  If you are doing a 'fantastic' Old West, you are good.  But if you want a little more 'historical' Old West, you need more men.  Seems the 'fantastic' is pretty popular of late, not fantasy, just flights of fancy sort of games.

Have fun with it.

Ah cool, Arizona sounds great. I've been in Arizona once in 1998 and I remember some old frontier towns we went too. Wish I could go back now!
And for the ladies and realism...I'm not one for historical or realistic games, I'm all for the fantastical and cinematic stuff. So it'll be spaghetti westerns, game westerns (Red Dead) or weird west for me. And there the ladies sure have a place :)

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 08:18:44 AM »
Wow, lovely looking figures and terrain.

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
Love the mine!

T.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 07:49:29 PM »
That mine looks fantastic.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 06:40:44 PM »
Yes, that mine entrance does indeed look great!  So do the womenfolk...

"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 12:20:40 PM »

Everything looks great the minis, the cacti and especially the mine.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 12:57:08 PM »
And for the ladies and realism...I'm not one for historical or realistic games, I'm all for the fantastical and cinematic stuff. So it'll be spaghetti westerns, game westerns (Red Dead) or weird west for me. And there the ladies sure have a place :)

Heck this is war-GAMING. Do what you want.
It all looks great by the way.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 04:24:10 AM »
An excellent start - and thanks for sharing!

-Michael

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2023, 05:42:47 PM »
Lovely stuff! Always enjoy looking at what wild west things people come up with.

Yes indeed, it's a game, and about 99% of all the wild west games I've ever watched/ played have been the MYTHIC wild west. Where things are the way people THINK it was.

Who want's to play a game beset with cholera and typhus? Till your land for 16 turns through drought and floods? Fear every turn the bank will repossess your homestead? That was, as I understand it, more of the real wild west for a lot of people  ;).

As such, I welcome all sorts, females, migrants. The wild west is a BIG place and there's a place for everybody  lol
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2023, 08:12:53 PM »
Ooh that mine looks fantastic, do like a cork bark rock face  :-*

I'd rather the 3:10 to yuma and red dead redemption vibe over a "you just failed your cholera check roll on turn 3" too Legionnaire. ;)

Keen for the next painted minis  :)
Cheers
Matt