Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:17:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Indian Mutiny/ Indian Rebellion Thoughts  (Read 1949 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Indian Mutiny/ Indian Rebellion Thoughts
« on: January 08, 2024, 04:40:41 PM »

I have begun to think about my stalled India 1857 project again.  It was triggered by seeing the print below.  There are some interesting details in it.

The Indian Mutiny/ Indian Rebellion or whatever you favour calling it is a complex period to game.  Reliable information is hard to pin down.

Anyhow, there are some thoughts on the subject on my blog if it is of interest.

There are also some pics of toys and of my Indian city.

http://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Indian Mutiny/ Indian Rebellion Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 11:22:28 PM »
Keep at it.  Indian Mutiny is among the more colorful conflicts regularly put onto the gaming table, especially during the 19th century colonial wars. 

I have a crazy amount of figures for it but am trying to settle on a 'basic' force for both sides and just get that painted so I can run games - and then decide whether or not to expand and, if so, just how far.  Like you, I have it in 15 mm - a lot of Dixon and more from the much newer Bluemoon range.  (Not fond of how Bluemoon did their cavalry so we'll see if I rely on my Dixon cavalry.)

Your city looks good - maybe a bit too white for my tastes, I'd go with a more red/brown but white works, too.

Offline Mudyinsquall

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 09:48:14 AM »
The Mutiny's always great to dip back into, so much variety in units!

That is also one of my favorite artworks of the period.

Cheers

Andy

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 11:22:39 AM »

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 01:25:21 AM »
Might get a bit one-sided. Brits get the Enfield. Sepoys get an old percussion musket.

Mutineers are unpredictable and disorganized. I would give them dramatic morale rolls - i.e. they can be heroes or cowards depending on the roll of the dice. Or perhaps depending on whether they get a "charismatic leader" or not.

Mutineers have no cohesion above a regimental / battalion level. The battalion on the left might do something totally different from the battalion on the right.

Possibly stack the numbers heavily in favour of the mutineers. And that way, if they get good morale rolls they can give the British a surprise and a scare.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 11:02:42 AM »
Keep at it.  Indian Mutiny is among the more colorful conflicts regularly put onto the gaming table, especially during the 19th century colonial wars. 

I have a crazy amount of figures for it but am trying to settle on a 'basic' force for both sides and just get that painted so I can run games - and then decide whether or not to expand and, if so, just how far.  Like you, I have it in 15 mm - a lot of Dixon and more from the much newer Bluemoon range.  (Not fond of how Bluemoon did their cavalry so we'll see if I rely on my Dixon cavalry.)

Your city looks good - maybe a bit too white for my tastes, I'd go with a more red/brown but white works, too.

I will.

How do your Blue Moon size with Dixon?  I had thought of buying a few.

Yes, I took the timid option on the city.  Nearly went for red/brown but chose a generic white instead.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 11:04:46 AM »
The Mutiny's always great to dip back into, so much variety in units!

That is also one of my favorite artworks of the period.

Cheers

Andy

Yes, it is a painters dream allsorts involved at one time or another.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »
The Mutiny did give us an entertaining Xmas game:
https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2023/12/spectacular-indian-mutiny-xmas-special.html

That's the sort of thing I'm aiming for Chris.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 11:11:37 AM »
Might get a bit one-sided. Brits get the Enfield. Sepoys get an old percussion musket.

Mutineers are unpredictable and disorganized. I would give them dramatic morale rolls - i.e. they can be heroes or cowards depending on the roll of the dice. Or perhaps depending on whether they get a "charismatic leader" or not.

Mutineers have no cohesion above a regimental / battalion level. The battalion on the left might do something totally different from the battalion on the right.

Possibly stack the numbers heavily in favour of the mutineers. And that way, if they get good morale rolls they can give the British a surprise and a scare.

Yeah, Russell reckoned the Enfield was the decider. 

Mostly what you note seems to be pretty much how it was.  Not always though.  Tantia Tobe handily defeated General Rose in open battle one time.  I'm trying to track down what exactly happened.  No luck so far.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 12:06:52 PM »
Many years ago I had an Indian Mutiny project and did quite a bit of research:

See it here:  http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Indian%20Mutiny/Indian_mutiny_index.htm
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 04:20:58 AM »
Yeah, Russell reckoned the Enfield was the decider.

Mostly what you note seems to be pretty much how it was.  Not always though.  Tantia Tobe handily defeated General Rose in open battle one time.  I'm trying to track down what exactly happened.  No luck so far.
That’s interesting. Please post if you find anything useful.

The Paper Cartridges crew on YouTube do a lot of great stuff on the 1850 - 1865 period, including comparing infantry weapons.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 12:23:45 PM by huevans »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 03:57:57 PM »
Indian Mutiny was until recently the only Colonial era I played ( in the meantime I've fallen for those magnificent Cape War figures as well "thanks" to Paul Hicks; Mike Snook and my bestie Axel)
There's nothing more colourful than the Mutiny.

Hoping we"ll soon see the release of a few more "key" units like Gurkhas and 60th Rifles that are sadly still missing (in 28mm)

Anyway it is by far the most balanced colonial war you could ever hope for.
Yes, the Enfield  was a game changer but not as much as you might think. Several of the battles were fought at short range where the superior accuracy of the Enfield mattered less. In fact during the early months of the Mutiny most British troops still had P1842 muskets, except for units like the 60th Rifles and Madras Fusiliers and some skirmishers in other foot regiments.

The British  at first definitely lacked cavalry to exploit any breakthroughs and make  a pursuit of a retreating enemy. As a result they often had to fight the same enemy forces several times.
The Indian artillery was often better handled - and definitely more plentiful- than the British.

IMHO the real decider was the lack of decent - higher- command on the Indian side.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2024, 04:59:07 PM »
I should post a link to Iron Duke's information pages. Still the best I've seen on the conflict.

https://www.irondukeminiatures.co.uk/1857-uniforms-and-orgs-etc-2

https://www.irondukeminiatures.co.uk/archived-notes-1857

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 01:48:13 AM »
Many years ago I had an Indian Mutiny project and did quite a bit of research:

See it here:  http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Indian%20Mutiny/Indian_mutiny_index.htm
Oh yes!  An excellent resource. I have had it bookmarked for a long time. Thank You Sir!
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 07:32:56 AM »
Nice site, OB, thanks for sharing !
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!