Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696245
  • Total Topics: 118752
  • Online Today: 459
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming the Great War with Chain of Command  (Read 1607 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Gaming the Great War with Chain of Command
« on: January 15, 2024, 08:33:41 PM »
A couple of chance events in December made me get my 28mm WW1 miniatures out again, this time for a game of 'CoCking up the Mud and Blood' down at the club - basically a WW1 version of Chain of Command.  Much mayhem ensued as the British led a prisoner raid into a German position of dug outs.  More pictures and a full report can be read here if you're interested: https://mogsymakes.net/2024/01/15/gaming-the-great-war-with-chain-of-command/

Offline scotty

• Scientist
Re: Gaming the Great War with Chain of Command
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 07:11:19 PM »
Great looking game

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 07:11:25 AM »
Hi, good looking table, are the WW I mods for CoC in one of the Lardies Magazines or have you put it together? Cheers
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 04:43:43 AM »
Hello again, searching the Lardies Forum I found the below, are either what you are using, if not what?

1. WW1 variant in the Christmas 2014 Special - got this special talks a lot about ‘Through the Mud and Blood’ which I don’t have

2. Gor Blimey variant - gets one mention no details

Cheers!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 06:20:37 AM »
The write up on the blog mentions that they used the rules from the 2014 article.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 08:56:00 AM »
Cheers PM sorted!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 03:50:11 PM »
Interesting write-up and quite enjoyed seeing your pictures.  Question regarding the British "trench brooms."  What would those have been?   I'm unaware the British had any (short of the odd grouse-shooting subaltern who may have brought his double-barrel to France).  Germans had the Luger with snail magazine, and of course the MP 18 SMG when that finally became available.  Americans had some pump-action shotguns.  Italian Arditi had some Beretta 1918 SMGs (the Villar Perosa was used really more like a Chauchat equivalent, vice as the SMG it really was).  The Austrians produced (in small prototype numbers) the Hellriegel SMG.   But I know of no British equivalent weapon (or French, for that matter).   

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 11:00:06 AM »
Americans had some pump-action shotguns. 

Which the Germans - the inventors of poison gas and flame throwers - had the cheek to complain about as "inhumane".  lol
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 08:57:44 PM »
Interesting write-up and quite enjoyed seeing your pictures.  Question regarding the British "trench brooms."  What would those have been?   I'm unaware the British had any (short of the odd grouse-shooting subaltern who may have brought his double-barrel to France).  Germans had the Luger with snail magazine, and of course the MP 18 SMG when that finally became available.  Americans had some pump-action shotguns.  Italian Arditi had some Beretta 1918 SMGs (the Villar Perosa was used really more like a Chauchat equivalent, vice as the SMG it really was).  The Austrians produced (in small prototype numbers) the Hellriegel SMG.   But I know of no British equivalent weapon (or French, for that matter).

I'm not aware of any equivalent British weapon either - I suspect when Rich Clarke put 'trench brooms' in the lists, this is probably shorthand for 'Big Dave from the market that used to do some bare knuckle boxing before he got called up' and 'that spiked club that my batman knocked up for me.'  :)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2024, 08:59:56 PM »
Which the Germans - the inventors of poison gas and flame throwers - had the cheek to complain about as "inhumane".  lol

Yes indeed.  I seem to recall that a complaint was put in to the French embassy by the Germans about the use of the 'coupe-coupe' by Senegalese as well.  The irony.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 09:01:27 PM »
Hello again, searching the Lardies Forum I found the below, are either what you are using, if not what?

1. WW1 variant in the Christmas 2014 Special - got this special talks a lot about ‘Through the Mud and Blood’ which I don’t have

2. Gor Blimey variant - gets one mention no details

Cheers!

Apologies for the very tardy reply.  As Pattus Maximus says, it's from the 2014 Christmas Special.  Although it's called 'CoCing up the Mud & Blood', you don't need to have a copy of M&B to use it.