Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Écorcheurs - Yet another set of medieval skirmish rules?!  (Read 1869 times)

Offline historian in harness

• Assistant
Écorcheurs - Yet another set of medieval skirmish rules?!
« on: January 17, 2024, 02:21:09 PM »
Excited to announce that I will be showcasing Écorcheurs - my Hundred Years War skirmish rules - with demo games at major shows in the UK - starting with Vapnartak - ahead of their release by Gripping Beast this summer!

I'll be adding more content to the website in due course, but if you liked my 'Blood and Horse Droppings' big battle rules, and the skirmihs game reports on the 'Raglan and Rob's 1385 Campaign' thread here, then these offer more of the same.

Give them a follow and spread the word!- https://www.ecorcheurs.co.uk
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 04:00:00 PM by historian in harness »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Écorcheurs - Yet another set of medieval skirmish rules?!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 03:39:12 PM »
I'll be there and look forward to a chin wag about the rules but especially about Blood and horse Droppings (I generally prefer massed battle games)  8)

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 03:41:27 PM »
That's cool. I'm as happy to talk about Blood and Horse Droppings as I am about scouring... when you're in York it's hard to tell whether it's a wargame or an episode of 'All Creatures Great and Small'!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 05:28:27 PM »
That's cool. I'm as happy to talk about Blood and Horse Droppings as I am about scouring... when you're in York it's hard to tell whether it's a wargame or an episode of 'All Creatures Great and Small'!

lol

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 07:49:07 PM »
Looking forward for these rules. :)

And using your campaign in 1385 you have english troops and french troops fighting in Portugal.
England sided with Portugal and France sided with Spain.
Atoleiros in 1384 and Trancoso plus Aljubarrota in 1385 are battles that can be played in the same context of the HYW. Plus lots of skirmishes both in Portugal and Spain.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 07:54:33 PM by rumacara »

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 08:36:23 AM »
Looking forward for these rules. :)

And using your campaign in 1385 you have english troops and french troops fighting in Portugal.
England sided with Portugal and France sided with Spain.
Atoleiros in 1384 and Trancoso plus Aljubarrota in 1385 are battles that can be played in the same context of the HYW. Plus lots of skirmishes both in Portugal and Spain.

Again, thanks for the interest.

Yes, there are plenty of engagements in the Peninsula, as well as in Italy and the Low Countries (I have a scenario planned for release for the battle of Cassel, for example). Add in campaigns in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and you have plenty to be getting on with.

And, of course, there is nothing stopping players from doing their own research into theatres that are of personal interst to them, and coming up with games based around those.

BUT IT DOESN'T STOP THERE!

I already have ideas for expansions - sceanrios, campaigns, and period specific amendments and additions - for the Wars of the Roses, the crusades and elsewhere.

However, those will depend on how much interst and enthusiasm there is for the base set of rules!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 02:57:01 PM »
Very interested in these rules. I usually treat Hammerhead as a bit of a shopping trip and neglect the tables (bad, I know), but I'll definitely seek this one out!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 10:58:31 PM »
Pic in the first post does not show (Facebook reporting the URL has expired).

One minor question - how the heck do you pronounce the name (and is that a drawback)?

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 04:03:16 PM »
Thanks for that. I've updated the image, so hoepfully that one is more stable.

How do you pronounce the name? Anyway you like (there's no oral exam before you buy  ;))

If it helps, it goes something like: AY-CORE-SURE, but I have got into the habit of saying AY-CORE-SHAY.

When they come out, if you ask for Dr Bob's Medieval Skirmish Rules, I'm sure the chaps at The Beast will be able to help you out!

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 04:04:36 PM »
Very interested in these rules. I usually treat Hammerhead as a bit of a shopping trip and neglect the tables (bad, I know), but I'll definitely seek this one out!

Superb! Don't let me get in the way of the shopping, but I'll be close to Gripping Beast's stand, so you can roll a dice or two whilst you queue!

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 04:08:52 PM »
I've added some more information on the rationale behind the rules, the make up of the Retinues, and a bit about the Captains and chivalry in the game.

Pop across to ecorcheurs.co.uk and have a look.

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2024, 02:05:10 PM »
A great day at Vapnartak last weekend, showing off the rules.

Thanks to everyone who dropped by, especially the vikings, who appeared qwuite perplexed tht they weren't looking at Saga, and the amount of armour some of the figures were wearing!

Hammerhead next.