Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:36:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Hunters Wanderings  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
A Hunters Wanderings
« on: January 17, 2024, 03:29:20 PM »
Rangers of The Shadow Deep is one of my favourite games, and I have wanted to do some VSF stuff for a while now. So I decided to combine the two into something akin to the Silver Bayonet.

So without further ado, here are the intrepid adventurers who are all that stand between the Earth and eternal darkness.

Captain Alexander Gray, the dashing veteran of many wars, he prefers fighting face-to-face, and blade-to-talon the way real men used to do.

Frederick Green: explorer, trader, and big game hunter, he hasn't yet met the man or beast that his trusty elephant-gun can't stop. But will his rifle be a match for the powers of Darkness?

Inspector Richard Barnett, second only to the great Holmes, he and his loyal dog, Billy, have solved many dark and dreadful cases in the foggy streets of London.

(From left to right) Edward Barry: gallant infantryman. Doctor Fergus McDougall: he first saw combat in the Sudan, where he saved many lives. Stephen Somers, the brave but impetuous companion of Captain Gray, through many grueling campaigns.

Will their noble sacrifice be enough? or will they be obliterated and forgotten in the tides of Darkness.

Next up: Rumors of an abandoned village, deep in the Congo. What could have caused the pygmies to vanish into rather thick humid air?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 02:52:54 PM by Aethelwulf »
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Hunters Wanderings
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 03:51:51 PM »
Sounds very promising! 

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 09:33:09 PM »
Always delighted to hear of more stalwarts 'bumping back!'

Doug

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 09:43:05 AM »
Sounds like a great idea. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 01:07:48 PM »
Three weeks ago, an officer by the name of Angus went out to investigate reports of attacks on jungle villages. He has not returned. Determined to find his fellow officer, Captain Gray gathered his men and set off for the closest village. It’s an 8-day march through some of the densest jungle in Africa.

As soon as they came within sight of the village, Frederick knew that something wasn’t right. There was no sound of man or animal, no movement except for the gentle swaying of the trees in the breeze. Closer in, he could see bodies lying in the dirt and smell the stench of death. Undaunted, he beckoned to the rest of the party and carried on. Whatever happened here, it was their duty to try to discover the truth, and, if possible, determine the fate of Captain Angus. They had just reached the centre of the village, and were about to split up to search, when Billy started to growl, and a horrible moaning sound came from all around.

Turning in the direction of the moans, Green, saw a figure lurch through the trees.

Somers swore as a second undead corpse lurched towards him, he fired, the heavy bullet smashed the ribcage, it lurched closer.

Suddenly, Billy raced off through the trees, Inspector Richard close behind. He stopped dead, when he saw the tracks Billy was following, he had only seen these tracks once before, in a book. They where the tracks of a J'ba FoFi, a species of giant spider.

Meanwile, Alexander Gray, was charging towards the closest zombie, which he dispatched contemptuously.

Hunter Green, cautiously poked his head into one of the low huts, withdrawing hurriedly when a spear announced that the hut was occupied.

The owner of the spear soon appeared, and Frederick was able to convince him that they where friends.

By the time the captain had slain another two zombies, Edward had only just reached his first, the stench of living death almost overpowered him, but not before he managed to smash its rotting skull with the butt of his rifle.

When the last of the living corpses had thudded to the ground, and Doctor Mcdougall had tended to their various wounds, Captain Gray asked the pygmy (who turned out to be the village headman) what had happened to the rest of the villagers. Kaneke, for that was his name, said that (Frederick translating) the J'ba Fofi had attacked in the middle of the night, breaking into the huts and dragging all but Kaneke and 5 other warriors, into the jungle, the surviving warriors where then beset by a shambling horde of zombies that had appeared out of the forest, only Kaneke escaped by climbing up a tree.

They where going to have to follow the tracks to the vile nest, rescue any surviving pygmies, and wipe out the loathsome J'ba FoFi.

(please excuse the quality of the photos, the humid air of the jungle is not the best place for photography)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 03:00:48 PM by Aethelwulf »

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 02:15:16 PM »
I like this introduction.

Unfortunately I only see "The Tolkein Forum" instead of pictures.  Is this a fault in my browser (Chrome)?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 02:28:52 PM »

Unfortunately I only see "The Tolkein Forum" instead of pictures.  Is this a fault in my browser (Chrome)?
I guess I'll have to re-do the pics. 

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 02:48:08 PM »
Yes, sadly can't see the photos.

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 03:01:52 PM »
Yes, sadly can't see the photos.
I've re-done the pics, can you see them now?

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 04:16:37 PM »
I can see them now. They look great!

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 05:12:42 PM »
I can see them now. They look great!
Jolly good! I'm rather new to the whole picture side of things, so I'm learning as I go.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 05:55:17 PM »

Yes I can see them now, thanks