Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mirliton miniatures, anyone in UK used them?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Mirliton miniatures, anyone in UK used them?
« on: January 23, 2024, 03:58:50 PM »
Hello All
Just a question to see if anyone has ever ordered from Mirliton in italy from the UK.
My only reservation is whats it like since Brexit?
I haven't ordered anything since we left, how much of a nightmare is it.

Offline Just a few orcs

• Assistant
Re: Mirliton miniatures, anyone in UK used them?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 04:04:36 PM »
I ordered from them many years ago, and they were fine.  I ordered a hobbit Army in 28mm. Lovely figures, but they have got quite expensive

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 04:15:58 PM »
I ordered some stuff from them in 2021; they were very nice to deal with. There was some minor post-Brexit hiccup to do with new Italian Post Office software, but Mirliton communicated very clearly, and I got the order in decent time. I imagine that the software problem has been cleared up by now.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 08:26:16 PM »
Yes, I back their kickstarters regularly and they are always efficient. Good at resolving problems too. Postage is, as one might expect, on the high side.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 08:48:07 PM »
Yes, I back their kickstarters regularly and they are always efficient. Good at resolving problems too. Postage is, as one might expect, on the high side.

Are you perhaps mixing up Mirliton with Midlam Miniatures? Midlam do KS pretty much continuously, but I can't find any for Mirliton.

I ordered from Mirliton just before Brexit (like the middle of November before). They are the home of the old Grenadier figs, so I was buying a few things I needed before it became much more complicated ::) I have to admit that I haven't risked it since, but the stuff I ordered on 14 November turned up on 5 December, so it was pretty quick.

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 09:01:43 PM »
Are you perhaps mixing up Mirliton with Midlam Miniatures? Midlam do KS pretty much continuously, but I can't find any for Mirliton.

Most definitely not 🙂 I back almost all the Midlam Kickstarters. Mirliton don't do them often, but I have not imagined them  lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mirliton/xiv-century-european-wars/creator_bio

Edit: read 'frequently' instead of 'regularly' in my original reply perhaps  :D

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 09:07:07 PM »
Good to know, thanks for that. I did find his name on Kickstarter, but no projects, so I thought it was just KS search being weird.

I'll keep an eye out for any new ones, although, as you mentioned, the p&p may be a deal breaker :(

Online Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 09:47:12 PM »
Another option might be to buy them from Campaign Game Miniatures in Spain. The advantage of doing so is that, unless the situation has changed in the last two years, tax will be deducted from the prices shown on the website, and apparently not collected at customs. This, at any rate, is what I was told by the store owner a couple of years ago. The downside of ordering from CGM is that listings of miniatures on the web store are divided  into historical and fantasy, with no option to search by manufacturer, so it would probably help if you know exactly what you’re looking for.

Searching for ‘Mirliton’ will bring up a lot of pictures of cavalrymen wearing the eponymous conical headgear, though it’s possible there is a way around this. I would recommend sending an email for clarification to info@campaign-game-miniatures.com or using the contact form on the site.

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 11:40:56 PM »
Well, I did just that and have received a reply. CGM has an abundant stock of Mirliton fantasy and historical figures in 15 mm and 28 mm. As for searching, I will quote Dermot:

“To navigate try clicking on Historical Miniatures and waiting till on the right a menu appears with historical miniatures at the top. Click the + sign and a menu will open with the historical makes but also below that the Fantasy.
Each click on a > sign will open another subcategory menu.
You can use this link to get the Historical menu direct. Then follow the instructions above to navigate
https://www.campaign-game-miniatures.com/historical-figures-12

He confirmed he does not charge VAT to UK customers but I assume that applies to Mirliton too (it would be illegal). Obviously he has no control over what goes on at UK customs but, while I have not placed an order myself as yet, I had the impression the shipments were not being troubled.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:52:45 PM by Cholmondely Percival IV »

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 11:47:01 AM »
Wow!
Thanks chaps, that's incredibly helpful
I luckily know exactly what im after
Its the old grenadier Barbarian war rhino
I painted the mammoth I've had since the 80s over the christmas holidays and I've always regretted not picking the rhino up

Thanks again, I'll have a look at both of them, never heard of the chaps in Spain

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2024, 11:51:24 AM »
Glad to have been of help. CGM is best known for its own range of 15 mm Napoleonic figures but sells a wide selection from other manufacturers, both historical and fantasy. 

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2024, 11:52:47 AM »
Well, I did just that and have received a reply. CGM has an abundant stock of Mirliton fantasy and historical figures in 15 mm and 28 mm. As for searching, I will quote Dermot:

“To navigate try clicking on Historical Miniatures and waiting till on the right a menu appears with historical miniatures at the top. Click the + sign and a menu will open with the historical makes but also below that the Fantasy.
Each click on a > sign will open another subcategory menu.
You can use this link to get the Historical menu direct. Then follow the instructions above to navigate
https://www.campaign-game-miniatures.com/historical-figures-12

He confirmed he does not charge VAT to UK customers but I assume that applies to Mirliton too (it would be illegal). Obviously he has no control over what goes on at UK customs but, while I have not placed an order myself as yet, I had the impression the shipments were not being troubled.

Thats great to know, I might email him just to check his stock levels. I must admit I'm wary of the Italian postal service, I had a nightmare several years ago with an ebay purchase. I don't know what spain will be like but can always give it a go.

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2024, 12:35:29 PM »
The well-attested unreliability of the Italian postal service is one reason I thought of suggesting CGM. As I said I’ve not yet placed an order with them but I’ve contacted them a few times and Dermot has always been prompt and helpful in his replies. Even this morning I’ve had a further email with a clarification and some details on a new edition of his Napoleonic rules that he’s working on. I doubt you’ll have any complaints about customer service, though I can’t vouch for the Spanish postal service.