Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 09:02:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1703216
  • Total Topics: 119264
  • Online Today: 615
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm table,disaster strikes P.5  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Re: Putting it all together, 6mm near-future table
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2024, 02:17:13 AM »
Inspirational stuff to be sure.  I love the elevated roadways and your approach to making some valleys.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2024, 09:28:37 AM »
Yeah, I completely agree. I try to keep my terrain and scenics as flexible as I can, too. One possibility that I have pondered but not executed yet is to build in a flat spot on the ridge. Maybe about 25mm x 30mm or similar. The flat spot could accommodate a Shinto shrine, a sci-fi air defense installation, a radio tower, or whatever, depending on the game. Could also make a forest piece to fit, for games where the ridge is in wilderness.

Thats probably the best intermediary modular approach, should try that on the next hill. In fact, I have a tiny shrine ready and painted, because I made one for the urban tiles and I always print doubles.

Meanwhile, making these trees is taking ages and I'm considering switching over to just bushes on any further ridges I make. Added problem, I'm making these with DIY clump foliage (aka sponge and foam in a blender with paint)  but my crafting blender has stopped working so I cant make any more matching foliage, and if I use a different colour/texture, might as well make that shrubbs instead of trees on the next ridge... right?... right? this is taking so long per tree to do.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2024, 03:27:22 PM »
Switching to shrubs seems like it would probably look quite good. From the air (similar to the viewpoint of a gamer standing by a terrain layout), the difference between scrubs and trees isn’t always obvious. You see the leaf canopy of the vegetation but can’t necessarily tell how far that is from the ground. In your case, the ridge itself is primarily blocking line of sight anyway, and usually won’t have figures placed there, so a layer of shrubs should do work well.

If you need a justification for shrubs growing on the ridges rather than trees, sometimes that happens when a slope has been logged. The trees held the soil in place and when they’re removed the slope eroded. Vegetation grows in, but is stunted and for a long time is shrubs rather than the forest…

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2024, 04:12:16 PM »
A thicker layer of foliage would look like trees anyway so a compromise would be individual trees around the edge then just foliage in the middle.  I wouldn't even bother with that personally, just clump foliage would do the job just fine.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2024, 07:59:47 PM »
I got in a game of Hypersteel nightmare (currently in playtest) on this scenery and my opponent clearly has the better camera on his phone, so enjoy the pictures he took.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 6mm near-future table, game pics p.3
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2024, 01:04:35 AM »
That looks brilliant! I love how the terrain elements work together and tanks and robots look great.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2024, 01:28:05 AM »
For trees

1. Buy cotton buds designed for cleaning dogs ears (yes that's a thing) with wooden shafts.

2. Trim shaft to required size.

3. Paint shaft whatever tree trunk colour you want.

4. Allow to dry.

5. Dip the cotton bits in green ink of your preferred colour.

6. Allow to dry.

7. Twirl cotton part in PVA glue.

8. Twirl cotton part in preferred flock.

9. Allow to dry.

10. A coat or two of spray varnish will help keep the flock in place.

I don't have an image of the 6mm version but here's the 3mm equivalent - a Roman orchard, using standard cotton buds.

There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2024, 08:17:33 AM »
Wow; that table (and the battle on it) is a thing of beauty!  8)
Love the use of the old 40K translucent objective markers; I still use them as well.

And another test game eh? You do seem to beta a lot  :D

@ Ithoriel; sounds like a pretty solid idea; the execution looks really good too :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 08:26:16 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2024, 01:10:57 PM »
Wow; that table (and the battle on it) is a thing of beauty!  8)
Love the use of the old 40K translucent objective markers; I still use them as well.

And another test game eh? You do seem to beta a lot  :D

Thanks! Yeah those objective markers jump out so strongly which is nice for objectives.

Yeah that's the magpie in me, always looking for the new shiny. But in this case I'm also sculpting miniatures to go with it, not shown here.

For trees

I like the effect you have here but it sounds slower than my current process tbh. I just paint a skewer, snip to size, stick clump foliage on it and done. its placing them on the hill one by one that is taking the most time.

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2024, 06:48:41 PM »

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2024, 08:37:02 PM »
This is a great looking table, clustering a diverse bunch of smaller houses really works here as you do not need their streets to be playable.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2024, 05:30:35 AM »
Great table with some classic Dirtside miniatures. 

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2024, 08:24:26 AM »
Maybe bath mat trees? https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=141828.0;topicseen

I'll be darned... need to keep an eye open for one of those mats.

This is a great looking table, clustering a diverse bunch of smaller houses really works here as you do not need their streets to be playable.

Thanks! Yes I've spend way to much time thinking how I wanted to base my buildings. I dislike the too openly spaced looks of most wargaming tables, and wanted some dense sprawl. In general we play this as impassible for most things except infantry which fits urban combat just fine to me. The square base with 2 corners cut also allows for non grid layouts with interesting 45 degree corners everywhere so you cant look trough the entire town one end to another.
We did set up the streets too narrow here, I had planned to keep about 3cm between each element and should have stuck with that for playability.

Great table with some classic Dirtside miniatures. 
Thanks! yeah I am quickly realizing that era of sci-fi (hovercrafts!) is where I want to play in, just removed from reality enough for comfort.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2024, 08:26:44 AM »
Awesome man, love those beauty shots! Also very cool to see my old 6mm scenery on your table, I'm so glad they see action in your house!!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2024, 09:03:46 AM »
Awesome man, love those beauty shots! Also very cool to see my old 6mm scenery on your table, I'm so glad they see action in your house!!

Yes, and vehicles as well!
Not my house though, I just put it all in a folding crate and take it with me, one of the advantages of 6mm.