Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 07:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars Escape Pod  (Read 4509 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Star Wars Escape Pod
« on: November 20, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »

I regularly check the "Star Wars Official Starships and Vehicles Collection" when I am in the newsagent.  Up until now it has always been  Republic Cruisers or X-Wings or something else in a funny scale that I wouldnt find useful for gaming.

Today however, I found this:

L to R: Repainted Heroclix, Warzone, Hasslefree and Megaminis.

The scale is, as far as I am concerned perfect or nearly so.  As it is to my mind a pretty iconic piece of hardware I dont think that I will repaint it or anything like that.  Its fine as it is and I already own plenty of unpainted things that my time would be better spent with.  A few scorchmarks to give the impression of surviving re-entry might be worth while, but that might limit its usefulness for scenery in a game in a spaceship hangar bay or something.  So once I unscrew it from the from its plinth, I think that I will leave it at that.  I am looking forward to using it as an objective in games of Mutants and Death Ray Guns or Fantastic Worlds.

Faberstien-Lago 37s Escape Pod: 93 x 43 x 43mm approx

I live in Ireland and we usually have similar newsagents stock here as there is in UK, so UK LAFers should be able to pick it up easily if they want it.  I dont know if it is available concurrently throughout the rest of Europe or in the US.  May the Force be with you and all that jazz.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Star Wars Escape Pod
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »
Thanks, I'll go and have a look in WH Smiths at the weekend.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 04:36:10 PM »
One to look out for, cheers.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
I'm actually quite embarrassed because I didn't even know there was a Star Wars Official Starships and Vehicles Collection partwork being sold. Definitely looking for this in town tomorrow.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
Pretty snazzy! What was the cost, may one ask...?

While it doesn't need painting, it might benefit from a darker wash to help bring out the detail...
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:40:12 PM »
Quote from: Heldrak
Pretty snazzy! What was the cost, may one ask...?

It cost me €13 in a small town newsagents.  That price may be slightly reduced in a more urban area in my experience. Also, it is rare that publications like this reflect recent currency trends so I suspect that the cost in £UK would be cheaper in real terms.

Its not cheap enough that I would buy every issue of that magazine regardless, but a piece like that in approx 28mm scale was a no brain purchase for me.

Quote from: Heldrak
While it doesn't need painting, it might benefit from a darker wash to help bring out the detail...

There is definitely a case for that and probably a coat of varnish too, just to be in the safe side.  The grey and beige look to it feels very "Star Wars"-y to me, so I am reluctant to potentially dull it down too much with a wash.  I could be convinced however.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:13:41 PM »
None to be seen where I am. :-[

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 06:30:33 PM »
I was on a tight schedule and didn't get a chance to look.  :(

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:06 PM »

i seem to recall this mag started a long time ago ( in a galaxy far away  lol ) with a die cast x wing for a few quid  and the second issue with a TIE fighter for about £7
These magazines are usually on firm sales only after issue two. so newsagents don't carry them
 They come out regularly issue one is 99p ,issue  two is say £5 and issue three the normal price which is often  £!0 plus . There was a recent one with die cast WW2 vehicles
Hence newsagents dont carry them except when they start or when an occasional issue reappears on sale or return or a customer has failed to pick up the ones they ordered, according to my newsagent the latter happens too often.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:16:12 PM »
I used to get the Marvel statue part work, £5.99 an issue, WH Smiths stopped selling them at issue 11, same with this.
 Your best bet is a dedicated sci-fi store like Forbidden Planet.

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
I have a few of these

I can't find them at the moment to take pics, but the figures stand about 3 3/4" high
You can find out more here.
http://thetoymuseum.blogspot.com/2007/09/mega-bloks-plasma-tech-trickstirs.html
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.