Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 09:49:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696771
  • Total Topics: 118789
  • Online Today: 456
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The state of "bring what you have" rank and flank?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
Re: The state of "bring what you have" rank and flank?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2024, 04:23:06 AM »
Oathmark is the way.

Offline Seal

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2024, 06:19:00 AM »
As already stated, Oathmark may be the way to go. One Page Age of Fantasy rules may be of interest, too.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 01:02:58 PM »
I went all out for Warlords of Erehwon when it was released; bought the book and loads of dice. Played with my (former) WHFB Night Goblin army and had an absolute blast.

Well, the two games I got in, that is, since my regular opponent didn't like it. But the fact I trounced him both times might have something to do with that ::)

The turn system is the same as that of Bolt Action; random picking of dice from a bag, which holds one dice for each unit on the table. I like the mechanic, but your mileage may vary...

Overall, I do think it ticks most if not all of your boxes; it's a fun, fast game, with generic rules that can accomodate every fantasy flavour you can come up with  :)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline DarkBlack

• Schoolboy
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2024, 02:09:31 PM »
That's a good list of suggestions to look into.
Thanks everyone!

The forthcoming Hobgoblin should fill this niche. It’s been forthcoming for what seems like a very long long time and I don’t know when it’s due to be published but it’s currently on pre-order.

https://planetsmashergames.com/hobgoblin/
I heard about that a while ago. Thought it was worth a look, but never heard about it being done, so haven't looked again.

Also in the ‘upcoming’ column is a fantasy supplement for Never Mind the Billhooks. I think it’s due to be published in Wargames Illustrated in the next few months. Also James Morris’ Midgard is supposed to be able to handle monsters, magic and heroes.

One page rules has ‘fantasy regiments’, which is simple and has profiles for store-brand versions of warhammer units, so it should be easy to find stats for anything you might want to use.
Kings of War units too.
I wonder, is having equivalent units in OPR the mark of a game being "mainstream"?  ;D

Oathmark is the way.
I definitely know of the minis, how's the game doing though?

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2024, 09:10:16 PM »
If I'm not prepared to buy models specifically for a particular wargame and finding Kings of War a bit too technical and competative, then what is available for rank and flank?

Edit: I'm looking for games/rules that I can use my existing collection of miniatures.

I play KoW with Hail Ceasar command system. This improves it a lot for two reasons
-adds some randomness to the ,,move the right amount in the right angle" geometry lesson, but this is a manageable randomness
-it adds extra sense to the characters- I always hate when overpowered characters turn a fantasy battle into a skirmish arena. This makes them into actual commanders.

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2024, 05:16:18 PM »
Those who are Hobgoblin-curious now have the opportunity to see what the physical rule book looks like:

Spoiler: very nice.

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2024, 07:27:00 PM »
Another contender I’ve just remembered but otherwise no little about is War of Orcs and Dwarves, published by Sally Forth. There was a review in MWBG, and later a battle report, which can be found here:

https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/product/wars-of-orcs-and-dwarves-book/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2024, 08:11:57 PM »
Those who are Hobgoblin-curious now have the opportunity to see what the physical rule book looks like:

Spoiler: very nice.

I dug out the PDF from the Kickstarter - not having realised that the final version had been released until promoted by this threat - and it looks excellent.

From the 'beta' games we played, there's a similar system to Kings of War's nerve in 'doom' - units break when they reach a certain total. But this neatly works as an army-morale system too, as breaking units add doom tokens to their neighbours.

One thing the game does really well is to ground the 'build your own' aspect in core troop types. So you get the sort of rock/paper/scissors foundation that you get in HOTT and the like, but can customise on top of that. That gives it an edge over Mayhem, for example, which is a brilliant game but could do with some anchoring on what standard units should look like.

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2024, 08:30:42 PM »
Based on a reading of the QS rules and the few play-through videos I’ve watched, I thought it might be a bit too simple but I’m sure the system can be tweaked if desired. Given the length of its gestation I also feel sure much thought has gone into the design and the apparent simplicity does not necessarily mean it is over-simplistic. Even if the game play proves disappointing, however, the quality of the art in the book makes it an almost mandatory purchase. Such is my current thinking, anyway, and I don’t even identify as a hobgoblin.