Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690492
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Future  (Read 9101 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
Dark Future
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
All i know is it was a GW Game a while back

Does anybody have a pdf floating around?

If so ill be happy to give an email so you can send it to me :D

love to hear from you all

Steve

Offline meninobesta

• Mad Scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
Re: Dark Future
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:11:55 PM »
you can get it from here, the pdf has the rules, an expansion book and some White dwarf articles!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat1290025&categoryId=1100014&section=&aId=5300012
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:27:47 PM »
The models are great... the rules, however, aren't so good.

post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:21:41 AM »
The game was okay, but I agree the range was the best part. I picked up two copies of the game, extra battlecars, a ton of bikes and just about the complete range of miniatures. Cool stuff
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:03:36 AM »
Where did you get all that? I've been getting bits and pieces to prep to play Warlands, but they've been few and far between!

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
I remember as a kid reading through my uncles very old white dwarfs that I loved the Dark Future models and artwork, never really had any chance to look at the rules.

Mixing Necromunda and Gorkamorka together would probably work for vehicle gangs.
Nuclear Renaissance by Ramshackle is another vehicle gang system.
Aberrant Games are still working on Warlands their 20mm post-apoc vehicle game.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Online swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
You can normally get Darkfuture figs of Ebay expect to pay a quid a figure though.
To be honest I just use the figs in a sort of mass Necromunda game with the cars just being a bit of eye candy.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »
Meninobesta thankyou so much youve found me all the other rules i wanted
even though ive still got what i believe to be the original DungeonBowl rules ;)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:49:30 PM »
Even if i dont find the game

Brew house bash is a winner :D

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:55:06 PM »
Where did you get all that? I've been getting bits and pieces to prep to play Warlands, but they've been few and far between!

A lot of it I got back when the game came out, in fact I have all the original WD issues with Dark Future articles in them (actually the only WD's I have left.) Then about 6 or 7 years ago when the woman wasn't working I thinned my collection and sold a lot of older figures on eBay. At that time I recycled a bit back into my collection and filled in most of the gaps in the mini line (I really think I only needed a few figures to complete it) acquiring more than a few extra bikes at that time and a battle cars box set and (most cooly) a still shrink wrapped copy of the game. DF is a favored part of my collection, maybe the rules aren't perfect, they're still fun for what they are.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »
Sweet! Maybe when I get my stuff painted, we can get together for a game! Pennsylvania isn't all that far away... ;)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »
Sounds cool, I've made more than a couple trips to NY. I'd been looking at Warlands, but right now I'm pretty focused on WWWII and 1949:SoTR.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »
Die Hard whats SOTR Like?
Seen it around but never tried it

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »
Die Hard whats SOTR Like?
Seen it around but never tried it

I'd been scoping out all the Weird WWII minis that had been popping up for awhile now and they reminded me a lot of the games I played 40 years ago with my Marx plastic army men and MPC (and other) plastic monsters so I decided to check it out. There are a couple different sets of mechanics out there now for gaming WWWII, but to be honest I chose SoTR based on the miniatures, although there are a number of figures from other lines I plan on adding (and in fact this is approved of by the games designers) the basic troops and characters from West Wind appealed to me most as a primarily painter and modeler first and gamer secondly. Not that I didn't check out any of the other rules options (in fact, that search was what originally led me to LAF.

That said, I really like the SoTR rules, though so far I've only played a few smaller scale games while I build and paint my forces. They are based around a platoon formation, although I've been using them at the squad level so far and they scale down fine. They are I go-you go, which I prefer to alternating activations and keep both players immersed in the game play. There are options for whatever weird aspect you prefer, from zombies, werewolfs and vampires to giant mechs. There are game stats included for a host of US, British, German and Soviet vehicles, including rules for customizing the vehicles and creating your own mechs. As a predominately ranged game (in which most weapons realistically cover the whole boards distance) the combined arms/armor damage is not complicated and works well. And I think that the command/order mechanic can be tweaked to solo play with minimal work, but also really captures the feel of command in regular games.

They just released the first supplement for the game, Doomsday, which increases the major factions troop and support options, refines the mech creation guidelines, and introduces partisan forces into the game. Now, no game is perfect, but personally, I haven't been this enthusiastic about the gaming aspect of the hobby in a long time. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to get an answer for them, but I can honestly say that I fully recommend checking out Secrets of the Third Reich, I give it two thumbs up.

Oh, and the have a great forum where the designers are active with the game community and everyone, them included, are helpful in any aspect conceivable, from the rules to the models. If you want to check it out:

http://secretsofthethirdreich.com/forums/index.php

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

Mixing Necromunda and Gorkamorka together would probably work for vehicle gangs.
Nuclear Renaissance by Ramshackle is another vehicle gang system.
Aberrant Games are still working on Warlands their 20mm post-apoc vehicle game.

Ive got the new rules just about finished, they are off to the printers next week. I will post some publicity stuff up when I release it. Oh yes, we also already have a big range of figures and vehicles in 30mm scale available....

Anyway, loved dark furure when it came out. The track sections were cool and the scale was great. I converted up a load of my matchbox cars.