Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sci-fi Hover Car  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
Sci-fi Hover Car
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »
In the end I didn't enter the Making Things contest. The more I looked at my work the more I thought "this is just stuff stuck on a pencil sharpener with no real building involved at all" and I didn't want to cause the judges any hassle in debating whether or not it should be disqualified.

So here it is anyway. I'm quite proud of how the little guy turned out.

The front:

The back:

I'm kinda proud of the oil drips

Offline Little Pete

• Bookworm
Re: Sci-fi Hover Car
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »
The oil drips look very good. My only difficulty is figuring out which way around it is supposed to go.

I think the way there is no apparent hatch, door, or front windscreen is what throws me. A door on each side would really make it more apparent that it is a vehicle for people to go in and let the eye figure out which way up it is. Also, perhaps you could drill a hole and put it on some kind of flying base/stand so it was more obviously hovering.

Still, fantastic creativity in use of an otherwise little used item. Thums up sire  :)

Offline Joe Fish

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
It looks like the top hatch is a lever-action construct to open the whole fuselage along the middle.   :)

Everyday objects are always fun to make minor tweaks into gaming pieces.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »
Thanks for the compliments!

As far as doors and windscreens go, I imagine the entire front cockpit, which is supposed to be shiny, reflective glass, opening on a hinge with those little prongs on the side as a kind of door handle.

I did toy with the idea of building a proper door for it but size-wise there wasn't really room.

Also, for gaming purposes I'm going to sit it on a shot glass when it's flying. The original plan was to drill it for a flying base but I didn't want to risk breaking it.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »
Sorry mate I don't get it?  ???

I think the problem I have is it still looks like a piece of stationary. Not being harsh but It doesn't look like you prepped or primed the piece, just painted onto the gloss plastic correct? Also the silver/metal paint has brush strokes in it and looks painted on. If the surface was matt you could have very gradually drybrushed to give it a nice metallic finish.

I take it it's anti/grav/vtol etc... it would be good to see an area on the car that equates to a repulsion or prepulsion system. I can see your lights (tops of 1/35 containers I think?) front and rear but no real visual, (screeens, windows or cameras etc.. and the glass idea doesn't translate to the model).

End of the day I'm glad your happy with it but I'm just very confused. Probably just me.

Please take these critisms as they are intended as I'm not digging just trying to inspire!

:)

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »
I think we have a joker in our midst.  :)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »
No digs taken, I totally get where you're coming from Vyper. The paint job was a total rush job over a very small amount of time. As far as priming goes, I just coated the whole thing in gloss black spray and then drybrushed metallics over it.

And it's not a joke post, just something I did for a bit of fun.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »
No digs taken, I totally get where you're coming from Vyper. The paint job was a total rush job over a very small amount of time. As far as priming goes, I just coated the whole thing in gloss black spray and then drybrushed metallics over it.

And it's not a joke post, just something I did for a bit of fun.

But it's not drybrushed mate it's well...smeered. Sorry but the technique's all wrong and the gloss doesn't help you.

Back to staples I think, can you still use it as a sharpener? ;)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 07:41:46 PM »
Haha, I can't use it as a pencil sharpener any more- there's a cut-down head from a mechanical pencil masquerading as an exhaust port of some kind and blocking up the pencil hole.

No need to apologise though.  8)

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »
I saw these on Matakishi's Tea House and thought they were awesome
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »
 :o :o

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

lol
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.