Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690840
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SoTR US Armored Infantry  (Read 4035 times)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
SoTR US Armored Infantry
« on: December 25, 2009, 04:10:52 AM »
Finished the first batch of infantry for my US force. The somewhat unconventional color scheme was done in tribute to the plastic army men of my childhood which the game reminded me of (my plastic Marx guys fighting it out with my MPC plastic monsters.) Working on batch 2 right now, command and special weapons. Just basic bases for now as I plan on making a dedicated board to play on and will eventually do them up to match.

We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: SoTR US Armored Infantry
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 06:56:11 AM »
hey they work for me. Good job
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:44:31 AM »
 They look good.I got my son some for Christmas.He also bought a few packs with his birthday money.I have had the job of cleaning and glueing them together.Still waiting for a few packs to arrive.

What is the game like?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
Plastic armymen look is good. It's why I paint all of mine green too.  ;)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 03:47:35 PM »
Not keen on clours or technique but see what you're aiming to acheive there bud.

The Commander
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 12:02:54 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
I don't care for the eyepopping :o shade of green you have going on there, but the painting technique is spot-on.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

former user

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
lovely theme and nicely done  :-*

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 01:26:43 AM »
Thanks for the comments. IRL the green highlights aren't quite as bright as the sunlight made them in the pics, I guess I should come up with a proper picture taking set up but I've never photographed enough minis to consider it a worthwhile investment of time. As with most of the stuff I paint these days, lot of experimentation with mixing different techniques for different effects, some worked and some didn't. The came close enough to what I was shooting for though that the Germans I do next will be done in a gray "plastic army men" scheme. I can understand that it's not for everyone but at 50 it was a cool thing to remind me of my childhood.

@manic_miner, I've only played a few games at squad size level as I build my platoons and support, but I'm really pleased with the mechanics and would recommend checking them out. Players take turns moving as opposed to moving your whole army at once, the ranges of most weapons realistically cover the whole board and the command/order mechanic captured the feel of battle for me. Although I came for the miniatures I'm really pleased with the game and look forward to playing it a lot more. Can't wait to finish off the basic troops and start adding zombies and monsters.   

former user

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 07:47:04 AM »
please, can You give details on the gear? it is just the kind of drybrush technique I like to use in such cases and I would like to know about the colour combination

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
I guess it is in the same ilk as using traditional 'Britains' tin soldiers or German tin soldiers (like those currently sold by irregular miniatures).

They are very nice models and I can see how one could adapt the technique you have used to paint them effectively and efficiently.
I'd perhaps choose more muted colours, but your reasoning behind not doing so is justified!

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 01:38:57 AM »
please, can You give details on the gear? it is just the kind of drybrush technique I like to use in such cases and I would like to know about the colour combination

The combination that I came up with that I liked best was (over a white base coat) a layer of P3 Thrall Flesh followed by a black ink wash applied liberally. Then a moderate dry brush of Thrall Flesh again. Heavier recesses left black, lighter ones got the old GW Orc Flesh ink with a brush. Finished with some highlights of Thrall Flesh again lightened with basic white.