Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:59:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming the Battle of Rejaf  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Gaming the Battle of Rejaf
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
Belgians vs Mahdists in the border between  the Belgian Congo and the nile, 1897.  Looks very promising.

Street fighting, jungle fighting, desert fighting, Lots of Askaris, and Mahdists.

Looks like you can use all your Darkest Africa goodies for terrain, too.  (I have to research it more, but it does seem like thick jungle, scrubby desert/steppe, jungle villages and .......Mahdists)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:03:10 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gaming the Battle of Rejaf
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
I think that it sounds like a lot of fun!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
I'd love to. I'm finishing off my Force Publique army for Triumph and Tragedy as we speak. The only thing stopping me are a lack of 1890s Mahdists that I like the look of. I've been spoiled by the Perrys' 1880s range, and I really don't want to use anything less. But apart from a few leaders, nobody wears the Mark II Jibbah. I don't mind having some in the old style, but not the entire army.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:53:22 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »
Looking into it I like it even more, the Belgians had 500 Azande along for the ride: Azande vs. Mahdists - It's like celebrity deathmatch for Darkest Africa.

If you look carefully you can see the Azande spearmen in the background by that little hill.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:10:01 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:13:17 PM »
I'd like to see someone do that!

Later Mahdists and earlier non-uniformed Sudanese slavers offer great possibilites for fighting Belgians, Azande etc. Apparently one of the Azande chiefs even considered sending a rescue party to Khartoum to try and save Gordon's command, as they hated the Mahdists so much.

That would also make a splendid game  :D

I wish the Perrys would bring out a range of be-jibbahed Mahdists. They do have the Mahdi's attendants and those lovely Emirs in patched jibbahs, so hopefully they will do.

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »
I have been trying to find information out about this recently. My Force Publique are just awaiting for the bases to be done and although Azande are next into bat on the painting table if the Perrys had done the right type of figures they would have sneeked in.
There seems to be a dearth of info on the net about these conflicts, apart from http://www.trenchfighter.com/188001/226822.html I have found very little. I am trying to track down 2 old issue of Miniature Wargaming which had a article in each. Anyone else had any joy?

Mors

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:16 AM »
Read the  account of the battle at Trenchfighter, and it described the Belgians fighting through a "labryinth" of village buildings, walls, etc.  COOL!

Nice pic of Jibbas with that article:

http://www.trenchfighter.com/188001/226822.html

It may not be as "Jungley" as I thought (is that a word?), may be more desert scrub. 

Anyhoo, looks very promising.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
Looking into it I like it even more, the Belgians had 500 Azande along for the ride: Azande vs. Mahdists - It's like celebrity deathmatch for Darkest Africa.

If you look carefully you can see the Azande spearmen in the background by that little hill.

Plan a trip to Royal Museum for Central Africa at Tervuren outside Brussels, Plynkes. It is an extraordinary place of inspiration for this war and all things Congo. Horrid and inspiring, both.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »
This Trenchfighter site is a magnificent source of not so well known african colonial conflicts - thanks for providing that link. I just read the "Mafia Island" report which is THE scenario for a T&T-ruled small colonial game.

And the Royal Museum for Central Africa at Tervuren is on my agenda for February, when my wife is going to visit a girlfriend from school in Brussels; I didn't want to accompany her for that purpose, but now I have a reason ...  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
It is a good site. Before we even started this talk of Mahdists and Belgians it had already inspired me to start a force of Central Africa Rifles for T&T, so they can take on my Ngoni and do some games based on the Angoniland revolt.

I feel a bit of a heel for not telling the LAFers about it earlier now. That kind of thing is supposed to be my job around here.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:50:08 PM »
This Trenchfighter site is a magnificent source of not so well known african colonial conflicts - thanks for providing that link. I just read the "Mafia Island" report which is THE scenario for a T&T-ruled small colonial game.

And the Royal Museum for Central Africa at Tervuren is on my agenda for February, when my wife is going to visit a girlfriend from school in Brussels; I didn't want to accompany her for that purpose, but now I have a reason ...  :D

I hope I am not ruining for you by saying it is bloody brilliant.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
I hope I am not ruining for you by saying it is bloody brilliant.

No way, and now I know they have another very nice military museum in Brussels as well ... ;D

And those belgian chips ..., and the beer ...

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 03:07:17 AM »
 Reminds me, the Mahdists also had some scraps with the Ethiopians (Don't know if the Italians or French did).

As I recall, Ethiopia lost one of it's top commanders from Adowa in a victory over some Dervish.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
Both the Italians and French did indeed fight with the Mahdists. Marchand (him of the Fashoda Crisis) had a bit of a dust-up with them prior to the arrival of the Brits at Fashoda.

Thomas Pakenham's book "The Scramble for Africa" has a cool illustration of French fighting with Dervish gunboats, if you fancy that kind of thing. 1500 Dervishes in two of Gordon's old steamers (with cannon) vs. 100 black Tirailleurs with no artillery. Sounds like fun, but I think that is the entire extent of the French war with the Khalifa. Still, you could go the "what if" route if you fancy more.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »
New York Times report from 1894 on the battle of Kassala (Italians vs. Mahdists):

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9905E5DF143EEF33A25753C2A9619C94659ED7CF