Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:33:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Another Lurker comes in from the cold  (Read 4837 times)

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
Another Lurker comes in from the cold
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:14 PM »
A quick intro from me....this site has given me lots of pleasurable reading for many months now so it's time to join up and participate

I blame it all on Airfix - I first noticed plastic crack in the 60's when it came in poly bags topped off with a colourful header card or in little boxes with 48 little plastic soldiers inside. 

2/6d (12.5p to you young uns) would buy me a model which was instantly prised off the sprue and stuck together with great globs of polystyrene cement.  Slap the decals on (if they weren't too fiddly) and I was finished.

Then the Spitfire, Sherman or whatever model I had bought that week, would attack the Airfix troops laid out on the living room floor and battle would commence.

Later I would paint the models and read the Airfix Magazine and play simple wargames with simple terrian and go to the library and borrow books about the Napoleonic Wars and the World Wars of the 20th century.

So began my life long love of history and enjoyment of a creative hobby that still gives me immense pleasure today (even in my dotage when I am forced to wear 2.5 magnifying glasses to paint a barn door)

Like everybody else I had distractions - beer, girls, cars, marriage, children, career, children through college, etc. 

But I returned to the fold some time back seduced while passing a Games Workshop store some 15 years (or more) ago.

I now have a sizeable lead mountain, rules by the score (pdf publishing make rulesets irrestible for those of us with little or no willpower)

and a man cave! (no the kids can't come back home). 

My butterfly nature takes me across all periods and genres but I am currently enamoured of .....

Gothic Horror - painting up some Westwind minis and have purchased, read and made plans for playing Savage Worlds Horror Wars, Chaos in Carpathia or BASH Fantasy but can't decide which

Supers - I also love comics and have a large box full of Heroclix waiting to be rebased and tarted up (BASH or Supersytem3)

Pulp is cool - I want to do Dinosaur Hunts with hunters, native tribes, giant spiders and snakes, jungle ruins, the odd screaming female bait and maybe a large and somewhat narked ape (does that sound familiar?) - perhaps I should set it on undiscovered island set in a mist shrouded sea.

Conan - REH and the 70's B+W Savage Sword Comics.  Such a fertile background for a low powered magic fantasy setting

WW1 air (Bag the Hun and others) and WW2 skirmish (Battlefield Evolution)

and all the others - Warmaster, Space Hulk, Dungeons of various sorts

I have them all and can occaisionally (but not often) pressgang an opponent

I also like boardgames as long as they are conflict based (and they are easier to find a group for)

It's an addiction ... and like Alcoholics Anonymous I need fellow suffers around me for support

[stands up]

My name is pauld ..... and I'm a miniatureholic

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: Another Lurker comes in from the cold
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:07 PM »
...and maybe a large and somewhat narked ape (does that sound familiar?)

A fifty-foot... lady?

It's an addiction ... and like Alcoholics Anonymous I need fellow suffers around me for support

And I believe others will back me in this, but if I am correct, it is more fun to wallow in it than resort to group therapy. ;)

Welcome aboard, by the way!
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »
Welcome to the LAF, Pauld!  :)
Leave your wet boots with the Butlerbot and have the Orderly bring you a Scotch. It seems you know your way around here, so the standard tour is skipped and you can proceed directly to the briefing room  :D
per aspera ad astra

former user

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:10:57 AM »
welcome

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »
Welcome aboard, your storey sounds alot like mine. I too started my addiction with AirFix figures & models.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 08:49:22 AM »
Yes, mine too - except you missed off the bit where, having tired of / slightly broken said Spitfire or Sherman, one put it down the end of one's garden and shot it to pieces with one's air rifle  :D

Good God - Airfix Magazine... I'd forgotten all about that one... Classic articles like 'How to convert the HO/OO Robin Hood set into dervishes using only pins and Das modelling clay'  ;)

Anyway - welcome. Leave your zombies at the door, and don't go near the VSF enthusiasts. They're all bonkers.

:)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 09:18:03 AM »
Welcome.......
I blame it all on Airfix - I first noticed plastic crack in the 60's when it came in poly bags topped off with a colourful header card or in little boxes with 48 little plastic soldiers inside. 

2/6d (12.5p to you young uns) would buy me a model which was instantly prised off the sprue and stuck together with great globs of polystyrene cement.  Slap the decals on (if they weren't too fiddly) and I was finished.

Then the Spitfire, Sherman or whatever model I had bought that week, would attack the Airfix troops laid out on the living room floor and battle would commence.

Later I would paint the models and read the Airfix Magazine and play simple wargames with simple terrian and go to the library and borrow books about the Napoleonic Wars and the World Wars of the 20th century.

So began my life long love of history and enjoyment of a creative hobby that still gives me immense pleasure today (even in my dotage when I am forced to wear 2.5 magnifying glasses to paint a barn door)

Me too, slowly moving from 15 to 28mm as well.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:05 AM »
Welcome aboard!! Your story sounds hauntingly familiar!! :D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
My name is pauld ..... and I'm a miniatureholic

Hi pauld! lol

...and welcome on the LAF
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »
Thank you one and all for the kind welcome .... It is much much appreciated

You are, without doubt, a very civilized bunch

I'm off for a spot of Tiffin before my daily perusal of the boards

So I'll catch you later

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
Be careful talking about "tiffin" - Sir Sydney Rough-Diamond and the VSF crowd might get the wrong mental image :~}
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »
Nothing wrong wiv a bit of tiffin.

Welcome anyway

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »
Welcome Pauld,

A man cave - how I long for one of them...still waiting for the fledglings to fly the nest!
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 07:50:24 AM »
...Good God - Airfix Magazine... I'd forgotten all about that one... Classic articles like 'How to convert the HO/OO Robin Hood set into dervishes using only pins and Das modelling clay'  ;) ...

Like this one?  :D

Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline pauld

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
I'll read that later - thanks

I seem to remember some mods were to be done with a razor blade, plasticine and banana oil to harden it

Banana oil ???

I could never find it then - I'm sure they were taking the proverbial