Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 532
Total: 538

Recent

Author Topic: 3D Aliens  (Read 7695 times)

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
3D Aliens
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
3 things just occured to me:

- People still won't have time to sculpt nicely detailed figs on the computer.  So they might still buy nicely designed computer sculpts in software format from talented sculptors.  Just that you can "print" as many figs as you need from home.

- Some enterprising person might decide to design a software that provides some basic figure poses, with drag and click uniforms and equipment - to raise fast armies!

- Horror of horrors!  One day the "printing" will also be in full colour!!  What will happen to figure painting then!?!!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
3D Aliens
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
The kind of digital sculpting-to-production that GW is doing is tremendously expensive. I think they're the only people who can afford it right now.

I wonder if they CAN afford it? Sales are dropping and they are closing stores all over the place. Seems like they afre taking quite a risk investing in expensive machinery while the primarely young smell-like-socks teenage lad customer find it harder and harder to press mum and dad for £20 for a box of plastic gnomes.

Here's one of the quotes I read:
From todays 'LondonLite' (a free paper given out in the city) business section:
"Games Workshop...delivered yet another blow to its army of long suffering shareholders today with its second profit warning this year. The company...will now shut 35 loss-making stores and axe 10% of its staff. Various back-office functions will be combined in a move it is hoped will save £7 million a year.
Chief executive John Kirby warned in January that Christmas sales had failed to make up for a weak summer. Games Workshop shares...as high as 410p before that statement, today fell 87.5p to 240p."

Anyway, I think we are seeing just the first passes on this in this particular industry. As with everything else it will get cheaper and smaller and soon the art is all in the design. Hell, I just purchased a home metal etching kit for $100 from MicroMart. 10 years from now I can probably buy a home miniature making kit.  8)

Offline abbot_amaury

• Librarian
    • http://www.amazing-tintales.de
3D Aliens
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »
Quote from: "dominic"

- People still won't have time to sculpt nicely detailed figs on the computer.  So they might still buy nicely designed computer sculpts in software format from talented sculptors.  Just that you can "print" as many figs as you need from home.

There will be high quality 3D-scanners (of course  :wink: ): so you could dress up yourself in some pulpy outfit, scan yourself, resize the image to 28mm-scale (resize your muscles and things to 40mm-scale if you prefer) and print the whole thing on a 3d printer (copy shops will supply all those equipment of course).

Then we could exchange the image files of our 28mm-alter egos (with enlarged muscles...) ... And everybody can play with Grimm (even whole armies of Grimms!) and Witchheimers and Richs and .....

Gruß, Hagen

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
3D Aliens
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »
Quote from: "abbot_amaury"
... And everybody can play with Grimm (even whole armies of Grimms!) and Witchheimers and Richs and .....

That's just SCARY! :o

A whole army of me, Grimm, and the Professor. Throw in a few Petes, Polynikes, and a few others and you'd have the making of a pretty inept fighting force.  :lol:
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
3D Aliens
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »
Quote from: "dominic"

- People still won't have time to sculpt nicely detailed figs on the computer.  So they might still buy nicely designed computer sculpts in software format from talented sculptors. Just that you can "print" as many figs as you need from home.

You shouldn't forget, the kids today are better in handling mouse and keyboard than brush or a sculpting tool.
And you shouldn't underrate the criminal potential...
Like I already said, it's the same with mp3s, why should people BUY something online when they can exchange the files for free? Or why do you think GW isn't selling the Warhammer rule- and army books online? They know what would happen.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...