Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1983 times)

Offline comet5

• Librarian
Hello
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »
I only discovered this forum a couple of months ago and havevisited daily since then, thought it time to say hi.  My name is Mark and I'vebeen a wargamer as long as I can remember, I belong to The Old Guard Wargames club in Sidcup, we have about 16 members, I play the usual eclectic mix of periods but most of my toy soldiers are 20mm plastics, recently completed a huge Dark Age Viking army.  Currently thanks to finding Matakishis website I am building a town for a 28mm sci-fi game we intend to display at the Skirmish show in Sidcup.  The figures are mainly old 40K figures from the 80's & 90's.

As my first pictures are of a game of Crossfire I've just played with my son, an impromptu set up on my painting table (sorry, dining room table).  He grasped the idea of the rules quickly and managed to beat me, he played Necrons.

Alea Iacta Est

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »
Wow - cool looking game! Necrons vs Santa Claus and friends in a 1920s adobe seaside town surrounded by giant half-cucumbers!

I get the feeling you're going to fit in very well here   lol - don't go over to the colonial games forum though, they'll only tell you that the snowmen's eyes are made with the wrong sort of coal  ;)

Glad you stopped lurking and started posting, that table does really look greaty. I'm a big fan of home-made stuff. What exactly are the giant cucumber things? Some kind of cactus I guess, but... details please!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
Welcome aboard :)

Your set up looks great and somehow...familiar (even your round table is the same as mine  lol )

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
Welcome aboard! Looks like a fab game!!!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
Thanks, the cucumbers are trees from Heroscape.

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
Hi Mark and welcome

It's great to see that Sidcup has got it's own club at last.

My formative years were spent in New Eltham and I had to wander upto the Eltham when South London Warlords had a club meeting there. 

Is your club looking for new members as I have some friends who live in Sidcup and whose son is into wargaming?

Hugh
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
We're always looking for new members, our club used to meet in Eltham in St Luke's Church Hall until they priced us out of existence, we now meet at Hurst Road Community Centre, Hurst Road, Sidcup ever Thursday evening at 19:30hrs, we charge nothing for the first visit, £3 from then on.  We do however have an minimum age requirement of 16 though.  Physical age mind you if it was a mental age requirement I would not be allowed in myself.

Mark

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
Cheers Mark.

St Luke's is where SLW used to  meet back in the 70's.

I'll pass your details on to our friend's son. I think he's 16 this year so it's something he can look forward to.

Offline comet5

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »
I know the club split some time  before I joined in 1986.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 05:44:47 PM »
Quite the thrilling adventure the jolly fat man and his wench went on. Welcome aboard!  :)
Everything is better with lizardmen.