Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Where to get Legends of the High Seas in the US?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Where to get Legends of the High Seas in the US?
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
Just a quick question for all the pirates, privateers, and government troops in the know - where can I get my hands on the Legends of the High Seas rulebook in the US? I've checked The War Store (usually good for most things), and it's listed as out of stock, and I even checked eBay (not eBay UK), and the only one listed is from a British store, with ten dollars for shipping. If there's no other way to get, that's how I'll do it, but I thought somebody out there might know of an American alternative.
Thanks in advance!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
Re: Where to get Legends of the High Seas in the US?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:49:43 AM »
Gee Hawkeye I would have said the Warstore. I got mine from the compleat strategist here in NYC. I think they may be sold out. But I could ask if you want.

Rob

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:31:37 AM »
Thanks, Rob, that's very kind of you, but I checked the link provided by Schogun, and Brigade Games have the book - thanks Schogun!

So now the only thing between me and yet another game/period/project is just a single order online....

It looks great, though, and the miniatues, boats, and terrain on this board are a real inspiration.

Thanks again!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 04:20:06 AM »
It's a great game you love it.

Rob

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 03:06:05 PM »
My FLGS still has it in stock...  Check yours.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »
I tried, Richard, but I'm in the middle of Kansas, and quite apart from the fact that my local games store isn't actually that 'local', it really only stocks GW and Clix stuff - so no luck there! However, I did just order it from Brigade, so I'm looking forward to getting it. And thanks, Kidterminal - I think you're right! I get the feeling I'm going to enjoy it!
Now I just have to figure out which ranges to go for. Black Scorpion have some great looking models, but I have a few of their Old West models, and I know they're quite a bit taller than a lot of other ranges, so if I go with them I'm stuck. What else is out there? I know there's Foundry, of course, but Artizan have a few pirates, but beyond that, I really don't know. Boats, I know, I can get from Games of War (I guess they ship to the US), and I know Old Glory have some too, so in a way those might be the easiest part of all.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
While you were just on the Brigade Games site did you see their line of pirates?

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
So Brigade Games have some too? I didn't look, to be honest - I wanted to get the book as soon as I could!
Hmmm. How do they match-up scalewise to Foundry, Artizan, and Black Scorpion?
More food for thought - I'm looking forward to getting the book! I have Legends of the Old West, and if the production values of the High Seas book are the same, I know that there's going to be lots of eye-candy. Perfect reading for the snowy weather here, if it's still coming down when the book arrives.
[Edit] - Just checked the Brigade pirates, Operator5, and they are NICE! The swashbucklers are excellent too. They seem to me to have the same sort of heft and proportions as Foundry - would that be a good estimate? If so, that's too ranges that would work really well together, so it's something to think about.
Thanks for all the useful info everyone.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:12:02 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
I did a pirates showcase years ago. It's in serious need of an update, but it's still a good resource.
http://www.frothersunite.com/files/wk/sc/pirates/pirates1/pirates.htm

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
The swashbucklers are excellent too. They seem to me to have the same sort of heft and proportions as Foundry - would that be a good estimate? If so, that's too ranges that would work really well together, so it's something to think about.
Thanks for all the useful info everyone.

They match up very well with Foundry. Those are the two I use together. Black Scorpion would be too tall.

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »
Thanks Operator5, that's what I thought. Mind you, between Foundry, Brigade, and the two or three packs of Artizan pirates, that's a great selection! I think that's the way I'll be going.

And thanks for the link, White Knight - very useful! I'm going to have a look through it as soon as I've posted this.

Oh, another question occurs to me - the Playmobil pirate ship/boat that a lot of people are referring to in posts on this board. I'm guessing, from the number of people using it, that it's a good scale for 28mm, but I'm wondering a few things about it. The first thing is a bit obvious, I suppose - which Playmobil ship/boat is it? The next thing is - what's the detailing like, and does it take much work to make it playable for 28mm? Thanks in adcvance!

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
I have Black Scorpion, Artizan, Foundry and a few Reaper pirates. The Reaper figures vary a lot. I have a Reaper pirate girl taller than the Black Scorpion figures! There are also Reaper pirates who fit in nicely with the Artizans. If all the figures I own, I like the Black Scorpion figures the best. Though I did pick up the Foundry Treasure Island set by the Perry Bros. Great set! I mix the Foundry sets by the Perry Bros.(Treasure Island & American War of Independence) to form my Royal Navy crew. And use the Black Scorpion and Reaper figures to make the pirate crew. The fact that I base the Foundry figures on the same slotta bases as the Black Scorpion & Artizan figures helps a lot with the height issue.

Your site was a great help in picking my figures White Knight thanks!

Rob

Offline nemo

• Schoolboy
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 11:55:34 PM »
Try DZUR's hobbies on ebay.  She can get you Black Scorpion, Artizan, Reapers, and many, many otherss.  She does mail order and is very prompt and communicative.

Cheers

nemo