Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to start Ragnarok  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
How to start Ragnarok
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:24:40 PM »
I've got an idea for a pulp RPG game starting shortly after WWI.  This will be a serial game for my new group of heroes “The Liberty Fliers”.  The heroes are employed by a wealthy American named John J. Jones (fictional) who runs his own private army (think Sky Captain but not in a heroic role himself).    My first plan was to have the first story arc revolve around Atlantis but then I decided that Ragnarok would be an interesting idea.  Basically a secret society of German Imperialist who want to re-instate the Kaiser and restore the German Empire are gathering artifacts they will need to bring about Ragnarok.  Once they are ready they will demand the restoration of the German Empire or they will bring about the destruction of the world as we know it.  
I'm not sure where to start though.  I don't know much more about Ragnarok than it's the Norse Apocalypse.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
How to start Ragnarok
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:49:25 PM »
First up, one of the portents is three successive winters with no summers in between. So they need a mad scientist to build them a weather control machine.  :)

As far as artifacts go, I seem to recall something about a ship made out of human finger nails (Sounds like a project for Westphalia Chris!).

Ragnarok is very complicated and silly, and its all fated to happen a certain way at a certain time. Not sure one can really hurry it along. Also you won't need dice, as everyone has their fate and can't avoid it, even the Gods.

Hmmm. That isn't very helpful. I'll go away and look at books and have a think.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
How to start Ragnarok
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:09 PM »
I thought the whole point of Ragnarok was that the gods of Valhalla and the Giants more or less kill each other off in selected combats, but enough of the Valhalla gods survive to create a new world whose fate was not yet determined.

You could do the creepy boat of bone and nail grown in one of those Frankenstein bio-vats, especially since Chris can be hard to get a hold of.

Also I believe Wagner has Odin's spear, Gungnir, shattered, so Odin loses record of his oaths. Maybe the industrialist creates his own copy of Gungnir and has to research all of Odin's Oaths, which gives you an excuse to have him sack a library or museum.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
How to start Ragnarok
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:30:37 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

As far as artifacts go, I seem to recall something about a ship made out of human finger nails (Sounds like a project for Westphalia Chris!).

:lipps: *baaaaarf*

And here I thought GW´s "Nurgle" schtick was disgusting!

:lol:

On the whole "doomsday" thing, maybe less Norse, more Nibelungs? I´m not an expert for medieval German epics, but you could re-animate the dragon... something like the "Kriegersaurus Rex" of Major General fame... locate artifacts created by the dwarves (although Wagner´s Alberich is pretty much the "eternal jew", so it would rank right up with certain "jewish rituals" performed on reclusive Mediterranean islands...).

However, I´d certainly prefer German monarchists to be the villains, rather than have ANOTHER incarnation of evil Nazis run wild... take note, though, that the whole "Trve Arisk Norsk Bullshit" thing is more of a Nazi Occultism thing rather than Imperial ideology.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
How to start Ragnarok
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
Quote from: "Plynkes"

:lipps: *baaaaarf*

And here I thought GW´s "Nurgle" schtick was disgusting!

:lol:

On the whole "doomsday" thing, maybe less Norse, more Nibelungs? I´m not an expert for medieval German epics, but you could re-animate the dragon... something like the "Kriegersaurus Rex" of Major General fame... locate artifacts created by the dwarves (although Wagner´s Alberich is pretty much the "eternal jew", so it would rank right up with certain "jewish rituals" performed on reclusive Mediterranean islands...).

However, I´d certainly prefer German monarchists to be the villains, rather than have ANOTHER incarnation of evil Nazis run wild... take note, though, that the whole "Trve Arisk Norsk Bullshit" thing is more of a Nazi Occultism thing rather than Imperial ideology.

Ohhh I like that.  Kriegersaurus Rex has a nice ring to it and Ragnarok has been done a couple times recently in pulp.  I'm gonna have to start reading up.  I like that idea.  Biplanes vs Dragons........

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
How to start Ragnarok
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »
Actually the "Liberty Fliers" and the "Liberty Air Corps" will eventually face "Evil Nazis" TM but their first enemy will be German Imperialist.  Then Commies.  Then "Evil Nazis" TM.