Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696747
  • Total Topics: 118788
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 457753 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Latest book NOT received
« Reply #855 on: October 29, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »
Have you boys and girls purchased every copy of Osprey's 'Russian Civil War: The Red Army v.1: The Red Army Vol 1' just to spite me? I can *not* find a copy out ther which a pasty faced Scandinavian with 3 mouths to feed can purchase within the limits of his hobby budget.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:37:11 PM by Hammers »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #856 on: October 29, 2009, 07:20:28 PM »
Have you boys and girls purchased every copy of Osprey's 'Russian Civil War: The Red Army v.1: The Red Army Vol 1' just to spite me? I can *not* find a copy out ther which a pasty faced Scandinavian with 3 mouths to feed can purchase within the limits of his hobby budget.

You're not the only searcher for this one.  I find it a bit ridiculous that Volume 2 on the Whites is still in print, yet you can't get the original release.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #857 on: November 02, 2009, 04:35:37 AM »
Not new but it's amazing what you can find when digging around your own dusty old bookshelves.  A couple of interesting reads by Donald Featherstone and a booklet of patterns and such for making AWI uniforms and equipment.  Anybody want to roll your own 1776 pattern musket cartridge? (I really have some weird stuff in my book collection.  I should begin to catalogue it some day but it'd be a huge job.)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #858 on: November 02, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »
Agreed, Plynkes, I read it thru, found it tedious and disjointed because of the lack of quoted place names as well.

I read about half of "The Forgotten Front" and gave up. In a massive contrast to Byron Farwell's works I found it to be very dull going and not too readable at all. Worse than this is the way the author in his complex descriptions of the movements in the campaign constantly refers to place-names that aren't on any of the maps provided, making it almost impossible for form a vision in one's mind of what was going on. I hate it when books do that!
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline silvana

• Librarian
« Reply #859 on: November 06, 2009, 07:38:01 AM »
My next project is going to be modelling some west figures, so today I went to Hylands Bookshop and found a couple of beauties.

1. The story of the West by Robin May Published 1996
2. Portraits of the Old West by Frederick Nolan 1997

Both are old books probably secondhand (not expensive) - though they both have great reference photos.
Buildings, streetscapes, horses & portraits - aah I'm so pleased to have found them.

Also while l was there I couldn't resist. I bought

General Washington's Army (1) by Marko Zlatich. Illustrated by Peter F Copeland Osprey publishing.

I have lot's of reading to do.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #860 on: November 06, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »

Yes Peder I've them all plus the Russian variant, Polish and Ukraine versions and some others. Am I an expert? No Sir! However they are good reference for painting uniforms which has come in handy just recently for a commission.

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #861 on: November 10, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Found a dsicount book store in carlisle that's probably been there for ages and got myself; English civil war archeology, tank commanders; knights of the modern age and a guide to the korean conflict for £2 each. Also almost got a book on modelling warships of the iron and steel age
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #862 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »
Voltan, where is this store? I'm in and out of Carlisle all the time and I can't think where you mean. New books or second hand?  ???

Mind you, these days I'm usually only let off the leash long enough to pop into Tommy's on Bank Street for my comic book fix before I'm dragged round another shoe shop.  :(

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #863 on: November 10, 2009, 04:44:27 PM »
It's in the lanes, off the square where the fountainy type thing used to be, it's called publishers book clearence , by coincidence, I've a feeling the unit used to be a shoe shop at one point  ;D, there's not that much choice but most of it seems to be a couple of quid, oh yeah and it is new books.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #864 on: November 10, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Ah, gotcha, cheers!  :) I remember being hustled past there at a fair old pace last weekend. I'll have to try and have a peep in next time I'm up there.

Just as an aside, have you been in the new charity bookshop at the back of the Lanes? Just past the escalators up to the library, past the newsagents and cash point, on the corner. They had a handful of old GW codexes and army books last ime I was in for a couple of quid each (be well out of date now, but might still be useful for painting tips etc?).

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #865 on: November 10, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »
Didn't know that was there, last I knew that was a local food shop, will have to add it too the circuit of cheap book places  :D

I hope everyone has enjoyed our lonely planet guide to carlisles book shops  o_o

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #866 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Osprey´s Thermopylae 480 BC. Last stand of the 300.

Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #867 on: November 12, 2009, 12:18:26 PM »
Got these in the mail today:

Yummy.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #868 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
Just got the new BPRD book myself. Yummy indeed. Looks like its building up to a real apocalyptic finale (of this story arc anyway) in the next book.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #869 on: November 12, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
Terry Prachetts Nation (I actually wanted Unseen Academicals for my birthday but dear old Mama saw Nation in Tesco for cheaper...)