Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 04:09:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696747
  • Total Topics: 118788
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 457757 times)

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #900 on: December 14, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

an early chrimbo prezzie  :)

Oh the lucky little boy !

Those who don't know should have a lot of fun reading the free on line version :

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/webcomic/stripIndex.php?currentPlate=1
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #901 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:38 AM »
Picked up a whole heap of books past saturday in Waterstone`s in Canterbury (being belgian, I usually cross the channel a few times a year, as that is cheaper then the expensive shipping due to weight of books)

* Star Trek Titan: Synthesis - James Swallow
* Star Trek Enterprise: The Romulan War - Michael A Martin
* Star Trek Voyager: Unworthy - Kirsten Beyer
* Star Trek Destiny: Gods of Night - David Mack
* Star Trek Destiny: Mere Mortals - David Mack
* Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon - Terrance Dicks
* Torchwood: The Undertaker`s Gift - Trevor Baxendale
* Torchwood: Consequences - a couple of writers
* Torchwood: Risk Assesement - James Goss
* EVE: The Empyrean Age - Tony Gonzales
* The Infinity Bridge - George Mann

Then from Westgate Games the old MGP 1st Edition roleplay book Babylon 5: the Psi Corps

while yesterday the Warmaster Ancients and Warmaster Ancient Armies arrived by post from Magister Militum

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #902 on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:18 AM »
Oh the lucky little boy !

Those who don't know should have a lot of fun reading the free on line version :

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/webcomic/stripIndex.php?currentPlate=1

Oh, I am a sucker for ligne claire but I was totally unaware of this one.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #903 on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:43 AM »
Oh, I am a sucker for ligne claire but I was totally unaware of this one.

I´d like to advise you to check the online version first before buying the book. I´m an LC fan myself, including modern "epigons", but this one felt a bit too stiff and a bit stilted for my taste, so I probably won't be buying the book; that said, it has a decent plot idea which is well executed, but seems to be quite lacking in places.

Note that this is a purely personal opinion. I´d just advise checking the free stuff out first to avoid potential disappointment.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #904 on: December 15, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
I´d like to advise you to check the online version first before buying the book. I´m an LC fan myself, including modern "epigons", but this one felt a bit too stiff and a bit stilted for my taste, so I probably won't be buying the book

I've notice that phenomenon in the genre. The genius of Herge in the art of instilling action and motion in the drawings is hard to copy.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #905 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:39 PM »
More birthday loot via a gift card from my fantastic mother-in-law!

Sons of the Mountains" The Highland Regiments in the French and Indian War, 1756-1767

That should spur me on to paint my pile of Eureka highlanders!

A "Most Troublesome Situation" The British Military and the Pontiac Indian Uprising of 1763-1764

I'm hoping that one motivates me to finish up my Eureka provincials and comquest Miamis.

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #906 on: December 16, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
For the french readers preferably  ;) :

a nice reedition of the great Micheluzzi :

Scroll down here to see more :

http://www.editionsmosquito.com/ouvrage.php?id=129

And two new albums from David B, one the most impressive french "new wave" BD (more than comics) artist :

A flying dutchman variation :

And he signs the scenario of this crazy story of cow-boys in Argentina, with Indians Gods, occultists sisters and anarchists gangs !

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #907 on: December 16, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
"The Soldier" by Richard Humble and Richard Scollins. An illustrated history of the soldier from 3000BC to the present day.

If you love Richard Scollins illustrations this books covers a number of his illustrations both in black and white and colour.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #908 on: December 16, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
Went Christmas shopping today. Saw this in Waterstones (in the "Computing for Seniors" Section... What kind of dickheads are Waterstones hiring these days?  ::))

If they had made this when I was seventeen I would have been SO fucking there, man.

At the end of the day I gave in and bought it as a little treat for myself (a generous discount sticker on it didn't help matters). Not to play, just to quietly read, smile, and fondly recall the days when young Plynkes would have been SO fucking there, man.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #909 on: December 16, 2009, 11:32:53 PM »
Went Christmas shopping today. Saw this in Waterstones (in the "Computing for Seniors" Section... What kind of dickheads are Waterstones hiring these days?  ::))

If they had made this when I was seventeen I would have been SO fucking there, man.

At the end of the day I gave in and bought it as a little treat for myself (a generous discount sticker on it didn't help matters). Not to play, just to quietly read, smile, and fondly recall the days when young Plynkes would have been SO fucking there, man.

lol

Sounds as though you're still so fucking there, man!

Cheers
Andy

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #910 on: December 17, 2009, 03:07:18 AM »
Sounds as though you're still so fucking there, man!

He's wishing he was seventeen again.   ;)  Well, maybe not seventeen, because no one wishes they were seventeen, but you know what I mean...

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #911 on: December 17, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »

The last book from my birthday loot. It is small, but looks like a good read and a great source of scenario material to boot.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #912 on: December 17, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
Going back to Christmas shopping, I noticed loads of those temporary Pound shops that spring up around Christmas in all the vacant lots that are empty because of the recession. Mostly full of junk, but there were some good things. I was thinking about getting this for my nephew Reg, the subject matter is just his kind of thing...

But I think that's more of a present for a girl, isn't it? What do you think? I don't want to piss him off. They also had the Jonas Brothers' book on the Thirty Years War, but he's not really into all that 17th Century stuff.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #913 on: December 17, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »
Going back to Christmas shopping, I noticed loads of those temporary Pound shops that spring up around Christmas in all the vacant lots that are empty because of the recession. Mostly full of junk, but there were some good things. I was thinking about getting this for my nephew Reg, the subject matter is just his kind of thing...

But I think that's more of a present for a girl, isn't it? What do you think? I don't want to piss him off. They also had the Jonas Brothers' book on the Thirty Years War, but he's not really into all that 17th Century stuff.

I think he'd be mortally offended, I mean come on man, Hanna Montana is for girls! Dude you old folks don't know anything!  ;) lol

Actually I was going to write a witty post an extremely comical about some common pop culture icons... and then I realized that I couldn't actually recall any...

... :-X

Cheers
Andy

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #914 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20:12 PM »
Plynkes,
I NEED one of those for my granddaughter!!  After all she has already told me that she wants to start painting minis  o_o
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.