Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:09:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696747
  • Total Topics: 118788
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 457752 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #990 on: March 23, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
Back on the Hellboy's road again. I've missed that feeling.

The Troll-witch is one of the best Hellboy's stories ever and one of Mignola's own favourites.

"No blow struck..no drop of blood spilled..and I wonder...how will you feel about that?"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #991 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
It's spend spend spend at Schloss Plynkes. Read all the Otto Prohaskas, only got one Jack Aubrey to go (saving it for a holiday - I always like to take Lucky Jack on holiday), read all the Flashies ages ago. Desperately in need of a good series to dive into.

Only one place to go, I think...

Yep, I've read some of 'em before, but now I've got the fucking lot, and so you can all look forward to me boring everyone shitless complaining about how more recent depictions have got it all entirely wrong;)

Currently Allan is fighting some nasty Masai (he just cut one's hand off with a Zulu axe), which is always fun.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #992 on: March 23, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
Otto Prohaskas,

Speaking of this, will there be nothing forthcoming about the honorable Ritter?

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #993 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »
Found this classic from the early 80s on eBay.

Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #994 on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
Speaking of this, will there be nothing forthcoming about the honorable Ritter?

Dunno. But they were written one a year, from 1991 to 1994. That would make one think Mr. Biggins is taking an awfully long break, or that he has told all the stories he has in him on that subject. They feel complete to me, but perhaps I'll be proven wrong. Maybe Ottokar did something interesting between the wars, but didn't he spend time in a Nazi concentration camp? Not sure I want to read that one.

Here we are: According to the internet he's working on a series called The Surgeon's Apprentice, which will be available for download to Kindle, whatever the hell that is.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #995 on: March 24, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
I had no idea there were so many Quartermain stories, I've only ever read King Solomons Mines and Allan Quartermain - thought that was the lot!

How embarrassing...  :o

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #996 on: March 24, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
I haven't read "She and Allan" yet, but it does smack a little of milking it for every penny. It's like one of those Judge Dredd vs. Batman vs. Popeye vs. Predator-type crossovers that they do in the comics to make the fanboys wet themselves.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #997 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:28 AM »
a lovely souvenir gift from my girlfriend;

I am a happy panda, I have all in a very good audio book version but this is something that I will put on my bookshelves with much pride.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #998 on: March 24, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
Dunno. But they were written one a year, from 1991 to 1994. That would make one think Mr. Biggins is taking an awfully long break, or that he has told all the stories he has in him on that subject. They feel complete to me, but perhaps I'll be proven wrong. Maybe Ottokar did something interesting between the wars, but didn't he spend time in a Nazi concentration camp? Not sure I want to read that one.

Here we are: According to the internet he's working on a series called The Surgeon's Apprentice, which will be available for download to Kindle, whatever the hell that is.

Kindle is one of these tablets you read electronic texts from. It has ties with Amazon.

As for Ottokar, he mentions he did a turn in the Paraguayan or was it Bolivian navy between the wars and then served in the Polish navy. I am personally curious about his South American adventures.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #999 on: March 24, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
Got this yesterday:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outlaw-Angus-Donald/dp/0751542083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269438836&sr=1-1

Picked it up from The Works for two quid.

A retelling of the Robin Hood story, trying to make it historically believeable rather than the Hollywood nonsense we are all used to. Only about a third of the way through, but very enjoyable so far, very Bernard Cornwell in style.

Not sure if its shaping up to be the first of a series yet, but from what I've read so far it reminds me of Cornwell's Viking books, so could well be.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #1000 on: March 24, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
Kindle is one of these tablets you read electronic texts from. It has ties with Amazon.

Oh yes. Aren't those wonderful inventions. It was about time somebody invented a format for literature that you could carry in your hand. I was getting a bit sick of lugging those great long scrolls of vellum and massive leather-bound folios around with me everywhere.

'Ere, hang on a minute...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1001 on: March 24, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
Oh yes. Aren't those wonderful inventions. It was about time somebody invented a format for literature that you could carry in your hand. I was getting a bit sick of lugging those great long scrolls of vellum and massive leather-bound folios around with me everywhere.

'Ere, hang on a minute...

Yes. Also, there are some quite dodgy things going on about what you actually buy when you download digital texts. A book you can buy, it is yours, you can pass it on etc, but with tablets, especially Kindle, they want to implement new rules. There's a lot of that going on these days.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1002 on: March 24, 2010, 02:35:18 PM »
Got this yesterday:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outlaw-Angus-Donald/dp/0751542083/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269438836&sr=1-1

Picked it up from The Works for two quid.

A retelling of the Robin Hood story, trying to make it historically believeable rather than the Hollywood nonsense we are all used to. Only about a third of the way through, but very enjoyable so far, very Bernard Cornwell in style.

Not sure if its shaping up to be the first of a series yet, but from what I've read so far it reminds me of Cornwell's Viking books, so could well be.

Yes I read it last year, quite enjoyed it and you are right very much Cornwell inspired writing style

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #1003 on: March 24, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
I was getting a bit sick of lugging those great long scrolls of vellum and massive leather-bound folios around with me everywhere.

Pah!  They'll never replace the clay tablet!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #1004 on: March 24, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
Just picked up 4 WAB books in a charity shop for £5!  :D

Not a WAB player, but still!  ;D