Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:08:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696747
  • Total Topics: 118788
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 457751 times)

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #1245 on: October 09, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #1246 on: October 10, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »

Beautiful artwork and illustrations, as always, but a bit sub-par in the text - words missing, dodgy grammar and/or spelling, picture captions that don't always reflect what is actually illustrated, etc.  Minor issues, to be sure, but distracting nonetheless.

Waiting to see their next release, in Feb.2011 - WWI uniforms!
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1247 on: October 10, 2010, 01:49:06 AM »
A nice book, I bought it for my 19th Century-mad nephew for his birthday in the summer. Colour plates by the bucketload, which shallow people like me really enjoy.

But I agree, some of the captions are just outright wrong. Shoddy work. Bad show.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1248 on: October 12, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
WH ECW ruleset
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #1249 on: October 13, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »
PDF versions of Two Hour Wargame's "Larger Than Life" and "Lost Land" rulesets; they're the usual tables-inside-tables-with-bonus-tables hell, but having run THW's zombie game several times, the rules actually flow very smoothly once you start playing, and most of the tables can safely be ignored - a lot of them are for scenario or character development. Hopefully the same is true on the pulpier end of the THW spectrum as well!

The actual paper books are enroute, depending on the vagaries of USPS and Canada Post.

I've also been reading a lot of NWF/BoB/Great Game non-fiction lately - several of Peter Hopkirk's works on the area. I've just started "Setting The East Ablaze", Central Asia during and after the Russian Civil War, with the Bolsheviks busy trying to export their revolution. Well written books, and inspiring for gaming!

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #1250 on: October 13, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
HOPKIRK ROCKS!! Ooops, didn't mean to yell...His "Foreign Devils on the Silk Road" is chock full of archaeologists fighting bandists and exploring the Taklamakon desert! Talk about scenario ideas! o_o

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #1251 on: October 14, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »

Man, what I wouldn't give to see Troiani's collection of militaria!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #1252 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »
HOPKIRK ROCKS!! Ooops, didn't mean to yell...His "Foreign Devils on the Silk Road" is chock full of archaeologists fighting bandists and exploring the Taklamakon desert! Talk about scenario ideas! o_o

That's next on my reading list; currently about halfway through "Setting the East Ablaze". I skimmed through the library copy of "Silk Road" I have, some very pulpy photos at least!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1253 on: October 14, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
Reivers, published by Montlight Publications, written by Keith Durham and Angus McBride.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #1254 on: October 18, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »
Got a copy of 'Zombies: A Hunters Guide' in the mail from Osprey. I know what your thinking, "I've had enough of zombies already!"...well, so had I. And then I read this book. Really well done. Some great art throughout, both new and from various zombie stuff that the zombie-fan will love. Mostly I enjoyed the text, a very well written and well thought out take on zombies throughout history. So, if you like zombies or history or high production quality...or all three. You should get this book. :)

Offline Lupus

• Mad Scientist
    • http://z11.invisionfree.com/Kashindan/index.php?act=idx
« Reply #1255 on: October 22, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »
Got a copy of 'Zombies: A Hunters Guide' in the mail from Osprey. I know what your thinking, "I've had enough of zombies already!"...well, so had I. And then I read this book. Really well done. Some great art throughout, both new and from various zombie stuff that the zombie-fan will love. Mostly I enjoyed the text, a very well written and well thought out take on zombies throughout history. So, if you like zombies or history or high production quality...or all three. You should get this book. :)

Yes got a copy of this myself and its not half bad as you've said..

Become who you really are... [/i]

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #1256 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »

Beautiful artwork and illustrations, as always, but a bit sub-par in the text - words missing, dodgy grammar and/or spelling, picture captions that don't always reflect what is actually illustrated, etc.  Minor issues, to be sure, but distracting nonetheless.

Waiting to see their next release, in Feb.2011 - WWI uniforms!

I just got a copy of this, too, although have not had much time to look at it. Found it a little odd that, despite being called 'Military uniforms of the 19th century', it begins with the Crimean War, therefore only covering half of the 100 years...
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline bigmanfran

• Librarian
    • The Angry Lurker
« Reply #1257 on: October 22, 2010, 12:11:39 PM »
Got a copy of 'Zombies: A Hunters Guide' in the mail from Osprey. I know what your thinking, "I've had enough of zombies already!"...well, so had I. And then I read this book. Really well done. Some great art throughout, both new and from various zombie stuff that the zombie-fan will love. Mostly I enjoyed the text, a very well written and well thought out take on zombies throughout history. So, if you like zombies or history or high production quality...or all three. You should get this book.

Got this myself and really liked it and did a review on my blog.

http://theangrylurker.blogspot.com/
Bitter,twisted and resentful.

http://theangrylurker.blogspot.com/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #1258 on: October 22, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
The incursion boardgame:

The Doomsday 1949 book:

And a freebie with my westwind order  8) , the Supersystem rules:

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #1259 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:53 PM »
I just got a copy of this, too, although have not had much time to look at it. Found it a little odd that, despite being called 'Military uniforms of the 19th century', it begins with the Crimean War, therefore only covering half of the 100 years...

Well, they're not strictly lying, they are 19th Century uniforms! I see your point, though.  However, when someone asks you about 19th C. conflicts, don't you automatically tend to think in terms of 'modern' Colonial-type wars? It usually takes a bit of mental adjustment to realize that most of the Napoleonic Wars were also in that century, they being so far back in time.