Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 05:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 457800 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #1275 on: November 10, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

My copy is identical except for a zebra rather than leopard skin background. Odd, that. Alongside the few two or three pics you see everywhere are quite a few I've never seen before. Interesting in that apart from in two photos (and one of them is specifically of EAMR 'scouts', not ordinary troopers) they look absolutely like regulars (complete with Wolseleys), rather than the rag-tag, leopard-skin slouch-hatted, informal band of eccentrics they are always described as.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #1276 on: November 10, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »

My copy is identical except for a zebra rather than leopard skin background. Odd, that. Alongside the few two or three pics you see everywhere are quite a few I've never seen before. Interesting in that apart from in two photos (and one of them is specifically of EAMR 'scouts', not ordinary troopers) they look absolutely like regulars (complete with Wolseleys), rather than the rag-tag, leopard-skin slouch-hatted, informal band of eccentrics they are always described as.

Zebra skin is snazzier. Leopard skin is so... I don't know... menopausal.

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #1277 on: November 10, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
Area 51: Thr Truth from Robert Doherty

Really like the series (though i`m still reading them and not in chronological sequence, depending how and when I find one at the local bookstore  ::) ) and a great source of inspiration for pulpy games

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1278 on: November 10, 2010, 04:05:36 PM »
Notice on my earlier post of today how on the photo they have mixed their manufacturers with disastrous results. Those two on the left are clearly 32mm, the others are true 25s.  ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1279 on: November 10, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
Notice on my earlier post of today how on the photo they have mixed their manufacturers with disastrous results. Those two on the left are clearly 32mm, the others are true 25s.  ;)

Hopefully, that photo is captioned with "Daddy can I have a pony, please, please?"
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #1280 on: November 10, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
The Dawn of the Tsarist Empire: The Russian Campaigns of 1708-1709. Yet another title to my Great Northern War collection.  :D

Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
« Reply #1281 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
Got a box from Mogoose Publishing today (well, it was bought through Matt`s eBay account altsain, at a pound a piece)

* The Lurker`s Guide to the Gaim (never played the rpg, but like the fluff materials)
* Battlefield evolution expansion Warbirds of WW2
* Afterblight Chronicles The Culled novel
* Twilight of Kerberos - The Clockwork King of Orl novel
* Tomes of the Dead - The Words of their Roaring novel

The novel though will take many a busdrive and trainjourney though before I can start on those, with a lot of Star Trek novels still on the way and to read  lol but I couldn`t pass em by for that price

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
« Reply #1282 on: November 16, 2010, 05:46:44 PM »
Book Time...

Star Trek novels: Greater than the Sum, A Singular Destiny, Titan - Sword of damocles, Typhon pact - Zero Sum Game, Voyager - Full Circle

Only 50 or so books to go before my stock runs dry  lol

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1283 on: November 21, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
Today I purchased a reprint of Heinlein's "Starship Troopers", and praise the Lord, it seems to be unabridged and not a "book to accompany the film". Haven't gotten very far due to graphics errands for my dear mother which took all afternoon, but I'm sufficiently intrigued to consider doing a "retro style" figure project based on that to use with the Mongoose rules sometime in the near to intermediate future.

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
« Reply #1284 on: November 25, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
Area 51 - The Reply

The Blackpowder rulebook

And a hefty tome called `Carri Armati e Veicoli da combattimento italiani della seconda guerra mondiale` by Ralp A. Riccio, with texts in english and italian, it details all the fighting vehivles of the glorious Regio Esercito during ww2.  Not cheap, as postage included it knocked me back 90 euros at Caliver, but a must have for my collection

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #1285 on: November 26, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
I've been buying loads of books lately (hurrah for the Student Loans Company ::)), these two are probably of most interest;

I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1286 on: December 07, 2010, 08:50:02 AM »
Taking advantage of Amazon's free shipping deal to Sweden:

The Road to Oxiana by Robert Byron. I've started with this and what a great travel journal through Persia and Afghanistan in the 30s this seems to be.

This latest BPRD was a bit of a disappointment. It seems like Mignola has tired of the frog war thread and tries to round it off by cramming all old story threads in there. Shoddy.

I just had a cursory insight in Operation Mincemeat and when I saw this book getting great reviews in on TV I figured I had to get it.

Brand spanking new from Osprey:

And two books on philosophy:

An interesting account of how universa have possibly evolved to come up with one which could support life and, indeed itself. Xmas present for my father in law.

And this bit of a cock punch for people who thinks a positive attitude will solve everything from cancer to career struggles.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:24:12 PM by Hammers »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1287 on: December 07, 2010, 01:05:01 PM »
The Road to Oxiana by Robert Byron. I've started with this and what a great travel journal through Persia and Afghanistan in the 30s this seems to be.

One of my favourite books ever, certainly my all time favourite travelogue. The ex-girlfriend who bought me my copy as a present many years ago was truly inspired. I can only ever think of the Shah of Persia as Marjoribanks.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #1288 on: December 07, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »
One of my favourite books ever, certainly my all time favourite travelogue. The ex-girlfriend who bought me my copy as a present many years ago was truly inspired. I can only ever think of the Shah of Persia as Marjoribanks.

lol

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1289 on: December 07, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
I received three of the four Don Troiani ACW softcover uniform booklets as a gift from an old friend for my (40th!) birthday. As I also got a number of gift cards for various book merchants so I can order the fourth as well as some other swag. I feel like a kid in a candy shop!