Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 03:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696805
  • Total Topics: 118794
  • Online Today: 508
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest book received  (Read 457794 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Latest book received
« Reply #600 on: December 02, 2008, 08:04:52 PM »
Geezers!  "Shut It!"  arrived this morning.  :)

Now I just can't shift a craving for a bacon sarnie.
Try a Spangle.  lol
Glad to see another Geezer joining the firm.  8)

Go on my Son :D

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #601 on: December 03, 2008, 05:23:17 AM »
“Jade Rooster”, by R.L. Crossman:

This one snuck up on me.  It seems that Amazon.com is now well aware of my tastes, and pushes any form of nautical historical fiction my way.  I resisted this recommendation for some time because, much to my astonishment, it cost as much through Amazon as through any other book store--hey!  I eventually got my hands on it by combining various coupons and gift certificates through Barnes & Noble. 

My first impression wasn’t very good, as I early in the book experienced some trouble determining who was speaking during conversations.  I’ve never noticed this problem in other works of fiction.  Something else that jumped out at me is the poor editing and production values of the book.  Letters are often missing from particular words, changing their meaning; occasionally entire words are missing; and on at least one occasion, two versions of the same sentence were presented, as if the author hadn’t yet decided which version he preferred.  These oddities caused me to pay special attention to the cover illustration, which looks like a Xeroxed color copy of a better graphic.  I’ve started to wonder if this is one of those new “Internet books” I’ve been hearing about.

The production values aside, however, this is a very good book, depicting the shadowy world of the Orient in the early 20th Century.  Indeed, five Amazon.com reader/reviewers have given it an average of five stars.  Like Patrick O’Brian, who authored my favorite Captain Aubrey series, the author of “Jade Rooster” has the ability to use dialogue, terminology, and slang to transport the reader back in time, and I was wholly engrossed in the characters and events.    I would think, as well, that gamers, especially those in this forum, would be impressed with the story, as an entire cast of characters could be constructed from Bob Murch’s “Pulp Figures” line of miniatures. 

Have at it.

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #602 on: December 03, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
Glad to see another Geezer joining the firm.  8)

Go on my Son :D

It's you two to blame for this.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #603 on: December 03, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

Volume 5 of the reprinted Charley's War in graphic novel format. Giving a copy to my big bruv and the nephew for Christmas too, so Shhhhh, don't tell 'em...
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #604 on: December 04, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
I hate these words "graphic novel" but I think is the best we have to translate some of the "european comics production".

One of the best author of them is Attilio Micheluzzi, an Italian as good as Pratt to my eyes.
Read "Bab el-Manded", "Siberia" "Rosso Stenton's tribulations" or "Marcel Labrume" if you could find them...

The good news is that the French Editor Mosquito had just compiled the rare "Petra Cherie", first serialized in Italian magazines between 1977 and 1982, in a very good B&W book.
Petra de Karlowitz is a young and rich lady, who, at the start of the book, fought the "Huns" in her ghost plane - a Sopwith Camel without roundel ! - above the Flanders in 1917. Her adventures will lead her to Russia, via The Balkans & Palestine.

The bad news is it's in french evidently, but as the price is pretty fair (35 € for 336 pages) maybe it's an excellent way to learn it  ;)

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #605 on: December 04, 2008, 01:38:05 PM »
Yes, "Graphic Novel" is not the best phrase we have. But what I meant was they are now available in hard-bound book format, whereas they were originally published in a weekly comic.

That book looks just my cup of tea. Have to get the old French/English dictionary out.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #606 on: December 04, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
Yes, "Graphic Novel" is not the best phrase we have. But what I meant was they are now available in hard-bound book format, whereas they were originally published in a weekly comic.
Well. you can't even use the expression 'trade paperback' when it isn't. A paperback, I mean...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #607 on: December 04, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

I'm sorry, my comment about the "graphic novel" was not at all an answer to your post. With my poor english writings, I try to think my "posts" in advance, and I wanted to make this comment even before I read you, so no critic intended.

But you were of course one of the few Lafers  I thought who could be interrested by Petra, cause I can't write now "Camel Sopwith" without immmediately thinking FFFFF !

meow,
Matt

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #608 on: December 04, 2008, 05:58:48 PM »
No worries, Matt. It's all friendly discussion, no offence taken. :)

Petra Chérie does look like I would enjoy it, even if I have to go back to school to read it. Especially given the setting, and the fact that those pictures remind me more than a little of Corto Maltese, which I love.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #609 on: December 08, 2008, 08:06:20 PM »
About a female PI in inter-war London, starting 1929:

#1:

#3:

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
« Reply #610 on: December 08, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
I got "The Leader" by Guy Walters Saturday. Kind of what-if based around Edward's abdication (or, in this case non-abdication), and Moseley's rise to power. Gripping reading so far...
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #611 on: December 08, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »
I got "The Leader" by Guy Walters Saturday. Kind of what-if based around Edward's abdication (or, in this case non-abdication), and Moseley's rise to power. Gripping reading so far...

Its a good book :D

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #612 on: December 11, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
My birthday brought me quite a bounty yesterday. I received the fifth Captain Alatriste book, "The King's Gold" which means I should be playing a game of Gloire very soon! My sainted wife also remembered my mentioning a beautiful early edition of "Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates" in the local used book store a few months back and surprised me with it! Most of the illustrations are in black and white, but there are some stunning full color ones as well. This is quite possibly the most beautiful book I have ever owned.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #613 on: December 14, 2008, 08:26:32 PM »
I recently got these in the mail:

Image removed for policy reasons. Click to follow link.

The first one, a Abe Sapien standalone, is quite palatable when it comes to art and story. Very gothic, even to Mignola' normal standards. It is not drawn and inked by Mignola unimitable but Alexander's style is, as said, passable.

The other one is a quite good B.P.R.D story in the WWWII genre, set in Berlin 1946, also concocted by Mignola. It is however drawn by some complete hack. I feel cheated on this one and I don't understand how Mignola could put black crayons in the hand of this chimp. Do in no way feel obliged to complete your collection with this wasted stack of paper.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 10:38:25 PM by Hammers »

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #614 on: December 14, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
I recently got the "Red Badge of Courage" about the American Civil War. Quite a good read so far. I believe it's a classic too.  :)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com