Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690991
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Very good propaganda Japanese war posters  (Read 12025 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Very good propaganda Japanese war posters
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:58:18 PM »
Just found that. Dont know the era, but I think its World War 1 (because of biplanes and adrian helments on some troops)

Posters tell that its Siberian War. Maybe someon eknow what war do they mean. I need to make a google research :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:08:10 PM by Fjodin »

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Re: Japanese war posters
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »

Yep. Its World War 1 :) Look at German Uniform. But I have no idea if Japans fought so massive battles with Germans.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »
Japanese are kicking russians asses to :)

These 2 are my favourites: Biplane and BATTLE OF TRAINS!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »
I'm confused too  ???

I would have thought the Siberian War against the Russians would be the Russo-Japanese War. If these pictures ar meant o depict that war they were certainly done at a much later date. There are pictures with biplanes (not used until WW1) and what appears to be a depiction of Germans in these pics:

Perhaps the artist was getting German and Russian uniforms confused. Or the pictures with 'Germans' in might depict the Siege of Tsingtao in 1914.

Alternatively, the artist might have confused German and Russian uniforms for British uniforms when depicting the defeats inflicted on Malamute's Brits by Jimbibbly's Japanese  lol

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Very good propaganda Japanese war posters
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
The Siberian Intervention of 1918–1922 was the dispatch of troops of the Entente powers to the Russian Maritime Provinces as part of a larger effort by the western powers and Japan to support White Russian forces against the Bolshevik Red Army during the Russian Civil War. The Imperial Japanese Army continued to occupy Siberia even after other Allied forces had withdrawn in 1920.
I would imagine the Russian uniforms are an invention of a civilian artist..................
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:25:59 PM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:30 PM »
I can only suggest that they are highly imaginative renderings of the Japanese intervention in Siberia circa 1918-1922. Some of the pictures seem to depict German and possibly even Austrian troops which would apply only at Tsingtao, on the other hand the apparent picklehaubes may just be a poor rendering of the Bolshevik schlem.

At any rate the artist seem sto have a rather cavalier approach to historical or uniform accuracy. The train and the aircraft do suggest a later period. As Russia and Japan were nominal allies during the Great War that leaves me to believe that the posters are meant to depict a highly romanticised version of the Japanese occupation of Vladivostok and the maritime provinces of Siberia. INteresting, amusing but I would try using them as a painting guide.

Oops whilst posting it seems I was beaten to the punch.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:33:27 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:25:49 AM »
Very interesting pics. Japanese fighting Russians, Germans and even french! If its Allied Intervention , so why all uniforms are from 1914? But as Alternative History pics they are VERY INSPIRING. Now I want to get ww1 japanese army :)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
By the way, does any know any other propaganda pics with battles? (WW1 or Colonials)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »
Actually, the Russians were still issuing pickelhaubes to certain Guards units as late as the Revolution. So, Russian troops in "German" helmets isn't so far out there as you'd think...

The Japanese uniforms are appropriate for the occupation of Tsingtao and the Intervention. Nothing here specifically says 1914.

-Doc

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
Those Japanese artists just made stuff up they weren't familiar with anyway. The Japanese public were hungry for depictions of war and artists catered to this need, even if they had no idea what the war (or the uniforms or other kit) really looked like. I have a book about the Great War in the air, and it shows a Japanese illustration of a sea battle in the European theatre. It is entirely imaginary, filled with ludicrous, totally made-up flying machines all attacking each other and the ships. Every square inch of the picture has something in it. Zeppelins, U-Boats, Dreadnoughts, Dick Dastardly-style flying machines, all pounding the hell out of each other. It's like the kind of battle drawings you would draw as a kid. Actually looks like it would be quite a fun VSF game.

Wish I could find a pic of it online.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »
Every time I check this forum there's something really cool. I love these, thanks for posting them.

I'd love to see that one too.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »
Those Japanese artists just made stuff up they weren't familiar with anyway. The Japanese public were hungry for depictions of war and artists catered to this need, even if they had no idea what the war (or the uniforms or other kit) really looked like. I have a book about the Great War in the air, and it shows a Japanese illustration of a sea battle in the European theatre. It is entirely imaginary, filled with ludicrous, totally made-up flying machines all attacking each other and the ships. Every square inch of the picture has something in it. Zeppelins, U-Boats, Dreadnoughts, Dick Dastardly-style flying machines, all pounding the hell out of each other. It's like the kind of battle drawings you would draw as a kid. Actually looks like it would be quite a fun VSF game.

I think I know which one you mean. Just plain batsh*t crazy, as you'd expect from the Japanese ;) - goes to show where all that manga/anime madness comes from. I've got it in a Time Life book (the German Edition is called "Kampfflieger des Ersten Weltkriegs"), but that one's in Germany at the moment... :(

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:23:30 AM »
I believe it is the same book, the one with the page about flechettes that you kindly emailed to me quite some time ago. Not long after I happened upon a copy in a bargain bookshop and so bought it.