Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mithril - An Unexpected Party  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Mithril - An Unexpected Party
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 08:28:48 PM »
I don't know much about Mithril and don't own any of their figures.  Am I missing something?

Well you asked and this I consider my particular area of expertise. All Mithril minis are sculpted by Chris Tubb and was for a long while aiming for the ICE MERP(now folded) gamers. Customer surveys however showed that their customer base was in equal parts RPers, collectors and miniature painters (including wargamers). They got slapped on their fingers for producing miniatures too obviously directed towards the latter group when GW bought the Tolkien Enterprize/New Line franchise but retained the right to produce collectors minis. They have tried various marketing strategies to broaden the base but seem to be down a rather small but faithful collector group.

I hear that they come "primed."  Does this mean that they are (properly) cleaned up prior to the priming?

Sort of. You can find flash lines beneath the primer but rarely.

I hear that they NEVER re-release limited editions and that, unlike some other  ::) figure companies, a limited edition is exactly that

True. But except for a few items has never been impossible to find most miniatures on ebay at a reasonable price.

and, therefore, has great "investment" potential. Is this true?
They certainly maintain that and while not completely untrue it is very exaggerated claim.

I hear that their figures "hold their price" more than others. 

As with antiques, if you are prepared to wait for the right buyer this is true. But to my knowledge there is only a handfull of miniatures from their catalogue which will fetch eye boggling prices at auctions. If any of you have one of the fabled M16 (Female Ranger of the North) MIB you are sitting on a small fortune. I saw a nice one, OOP, go for roughly €500.

With regard to this actual vignette, well as others have said - the price.  And I'm just not "sure" about the figures themselves and the "floor" seems less convincing than most basework I see around here.  But the figures might be paintable.  ???

To be honest the quality of Mithrils varies a lot. Some are outright inspired work, others are plain Mr. Easy-To-Cast duds. I do still think they are very nice and a joy to paint although they have a lot of fiddly detail.

Take a gander here at some of my now rather old stuff: www.tsome.com. I would say I have gone some way since I painted those but I am still very fond of my collection and hope to find some room for them again.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:18:50 PM by Hammers »

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: Mithril - An Unexpected Party
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »
If any of you have one of the fabled M16 (Female Ranger of the North) MIB you are sitting on a small fortune. I saw a nice one, OOP, go for roughly €500

Er......PM me if anyone wants one...no sword but looks okay. Picked it up a few years back  :)