Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:09:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 633
Total: 637

Recent

Author Topic: Carry on "up the Waa-Zooo" bought to you by the GWC Australia Pic heavy  (Read 6488 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Up the Wa-Zooo

It was cool afternoon in the Highlands, the sun was setting fast, a chilly breeze swept across the courtyard and cut clean through your coat like a frozen blade, before taking the breath from your lungs. There were several figures were headed towards the lights of the “Gutted Dog”.
Huddled in a corner near the crackling open fire, several Archaeologists were speaking of the exciting find by Professor Buggarov and his team from the University of Glasgow, the hieroglyphic piece of stone spoke of a treasure beyond belief hidden in the upper reaches of the White Nile. The lost Treasure and Tomb of the Kushite Pharaoh Analmaye on a branch of the White Nile, the group of archaeologists cannot agree on a team leader so they all leave the “Gutted Dog” mumbling under their breathes, “I will be the first” is heard as they head into the cold night.................

Turn 1, surprise, surprise all of the teams arrive at the villages at the foothills of the Waa-Zooo falls at the same time as the Submarine cannot travel any further upstream, however a river Taxi operates on the river this time of year, and the teams are then split on either side of the river.

On the Sudanese village side of the river Professor Buggarov with his University of Glasgow team Prof.Rufus T Firefly of the Freedonia, Lilli Marlene...adventuress...The Browning Brothers, Kid and Boy...Teddy "The Owl" Rosefield...Harry "shotgun"Haroldsen... Tony Greystokell...Drogo Baggins... Toby Samwise and finally Albert Baden-Powell. Professor Buggarov manages to persuade the local Riverboat taxi captain to take him further up the river by boat hopefully saving him some time and the hassle.

Beside them the adventurous Professor Emily Fiterole was sponsored and protected by her long time lover and Chinese Warlord Whoo Flung Dung, and his gang of cutthroats, Capt Yaaatzee, Cpl Dimsum, Lcpl (Lewis gunner) Chopsuuee, and privates How-So, How-Lo, Chill-lee, Fa-lee, Fa-So, and Hung-low.

Prof Crispian Smythe-Murchley (pith helmet)along with Doctor Woodbine Starkadder sensibly employed a local Guide “Hwatt” upon arrival and he served them well till the last, his forever faithful friend Col. Felix Anstruther-Clarke, Jasbir Randhawa Singh his batman, his Mad Scotsman Mattie McWillow armed with a large stick and a bad temper, Mr Tommy Smith is in the plus-fours and holding a brolly, Billy Fish, The Kid (the kid), Bloke armed only with his fists and a simple ethical code and Captain Conrad (the feller with the 303 and the cap)

And on the Ethiopian side of the River,
Colonel Archibald Fenton DCM KFC with his Bengali Volunteer Rifles along with Captain   Walter Walcarpet, Cpl Bill Poster, Lcpl I Wanna Sigh(thompson), Lcpl I Will “monkey hunter” Sigh (boys ATR), Private I Gunna Sigh (lewis gunner), Private I Shudda Sigh ( bren gun), Private Ray Sleader, Private Howard I-No and Private Terry Cotta.

Major Robert “Bingo” Rodgering and his faithful White Russians, lead by Captain Alexander “Bullo” Stroganov, Sgt Ivor Tossoff, Cpl Ivor Igottagoski, Lcpl Imar Flogoff, Private Mickeal Mylifesuckski, Private Ivor Haddenough, Private Boris Kosco, Private Piot Nevergoski, Private Sasha Nevergoski, Private Vasily Igottagoski, and Private Vladamir Zuckski.

Professor Lawrence of Argh-Rabia and his Protectors of the Sands lead by Captain Mustapha Poo, Sgt M’Balz Es-Hairi , Cpl Haid D’Salaami, lcpl Hous Bin Pharteen, Private I-Bin Pharteen, Private I-Zheet M’Drawzz, Private Yuliqa Mididiq, Private Al-Suq Akweer, Private Yul Strokheet Al-Wauch, and  Private Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupur .

and finally Professor Witchheimerand his gang of adventurers, Colonel Sebastian Cutthroat-Smythe MC and Bar, the celebrated novelist Eric Blair, Naughty Lola (in the aircraft) Dennis “machine gun” Thompson, Hamish Mctavish, Sophia Lockhart Flawse, and...........
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:02:06 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Carry on "up the Waa-Zooo" bought to you by the GWC Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »
Turn two

Prof Fiterole and her crew set off at a fast pace and are the first to enter the long Elephant grass, a Rhino is surprised and charges the crew goring private How-So of the warlords gang.

Meanwhile in the middle of the River Professor Buggarov and his River boat intrudes on a Bull Hippo who doesn’t like boats invading his territory and surfaces only to get a gob full of lead for his trouble, several times

On the other side of the river the four teams push on flushing some Hippos and their calves out, Major Rodgering loses the twin Brothers of his team, trampled to death Private Piot Nevergoski , Private Sasha Nevergoski. Private Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupur is pulverised and has ended up a looking like a brown pile, and Private Ray Sleader of the Bengali Volunteer Rifles is now minus an appendage.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:03:44 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:50:59 AM »
Turn Three
Prof Fiterole continues up the mountain, but fails to notice a Idol in the brush, upon passing the sacred idol the hat hunters pounce, taking two hats  (with heads attached!) for the chiefs hat collection

Dr Starkadder and his team travel in safety with the faithful guide preventing them getting in any trouble.

Prof Buggarov departs his river taxi and elects to travel by foot, meanwhile  Naughty Lola surveys the lay of the land from the safety of her aircraft

And the teams get to view the Waa-Zooo Falls and the great stepped Pyramid and Giant temple atop them

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:05:20 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »
Turn Four
Prof Fiterole continues across the rope bridge without any further problems.

Dr Starkadder’s team follows close behind as they head up to the caves.

However things on the other side of the river have become quite nasty for Maj Rodgering with a certain Skull rock was passed a rather peeved large ape appeared, and takes out three members of his team Sgt Ivor Tossoff, Private Vasily Igottagoski, and Private Ivor Haddenough.

All of the gangs got a shot off but the kill shot was performed by “monkey hunter” Lcpl I Will Sigh with his boys ATR.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:05:43 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
Turn 5 and 6
The teams enter the cave and are bothered by some locals upon exit
Professor Lawrence of Argh-Rabia team loses another two members
Privates Al-Suq Akweer and  Yul Strokheet Al-Wauch. The rest of the team pass by without a loss.

Professor Lawrence of Argh-Rabia is the first to make it too the temple and mounts the steps

Followed by Maj Rodgering

And all the teams read the inscriptions and those who can translate the hieroglyphics decide to descend into the dark tavern below.
Professor Witchheimer takes head of the hieroglyphic warning and remains outside
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:06:49 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
Turn 7
The first team to descend is Professor Lawrence of Argh-Rabia team, who find a nasty surprise at the bottom of the rope and lose three members Hous Bin Pharteen,I-Bin Pharteen and I-Zheet M’Drawzz,  to the crocodiles leaving only four team members left in his party.

Professor Buggeroff team make it down safely

Dr Starkadder’s team make it down safely

“Hwatt” Starkadder’s guide doesn’t make it and is taken by the crocodiles! It was heard “Jolly Good, no need to pay the chap now is there” in the semi darkness.

And finally Prof Fiterole and Colonel Archibald Fenton DCM KFC with his Bengali Volunteer Rifles.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:07:12 AM by bluewillow »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »
Turn 8
The hieroglyphics on the walls warn of the impending doom and some teams are scared and leap into the water returning to the waterfall, leaving on Professor Buggeroff, Dr Starkadder and Colonel Archibald Fenton DCM KFC and there teams to seek out the sarcophagus of Pharaoh Analmaye.
Dr Starkadder sends Bloke and the Big Willow backed up by Jasbir Randhawa Singh to move the sarcophagus

They successfully move it only to find the mummy of Pharaoh Analmaye protecting his treasure, Bloke surprised lays a quick three punch combo and the big Willow finishes him off with a Liverpool Kiss, and a swift boot for his troubles.

Professor Buggeroff, Dr Starkadder and Colonel Archibald Fenton DCM KFC depart the tomb laden with treasures beyond their belief!

Bought to you by the Goulburn Wargames Club Australia
Terrain by Bluewillow
Figures in no necessary order from
Bob Murch (chinese acting as Russians , Chinese)
Foundry (tribesmen)
Artizan
Hasslefree
Daze miniatures (Kong)
Essex Miniatures
Westwind
Copplestone
Ral Partha

Cheers
matt
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:08:16 AM by bluewillow »

Offline Conrad Hawkwood

• Librarian
    • http://www.drunkendragoonproductions.com/gardedukorps/index.php
Re: Carry on "up the Waa-Zooo" bought to you by the GWC Australia Pic heavy
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »
and Professor Rufus T Firefly of the Freedonia Institute of Paranormal Activity and Paleontology said  it was great fun,,

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »
Great show old boy!

Was this game played using .45 Adventures?

Rob

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »
Was this game played using .45 Adventures?

no a set written by Starkadder and Greywolf, one sheet of paper, scenario specific action cards and the lots of free Kreigspiel.

cheers
matt

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:47:17 PM »
Interesting. Thanks.

Rob

Offline Conrad Hawkwood

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »
We don't use published rule for our games but much prefer a very stripped down set..it is better the players know as little as possible..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 10:27:00 AM by Conrad Hawkwood »

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »
Rules by Greywolf with acerbic commentary from myself.

It is our belief that the moderator/umpire is the "daimon" of the narrative drive.

Extensive rulesets merely force a patina of "reality" on something inherently unreal. I once had the displeasure of of having to moderate a three hour "discussion" on the flight characteristics of gargoyles. When I pointed out that gargoyles didn't so much fly as plummet from whatever building they had fallen, I was politely informed that I knew nothing and was a card-carrying idiot.

In my youth I encountered a description of a radio serial with several authors. It was fun for them to leave their hero in some improbable but horrendously tricky situation at the end of each episode ("The cliffhanger"). The challenge was for the next scriptwriter to get the hero out of it.

If you couldn't do it, then creative defeat was admitted with the phrase "With one convulsive bound, Carter was free."

All of which means that a good day out in a pulp adventure is down to the moderator/umpire and her or his imagination, organisation and inspiration. Extensive rules tend to cloud that approach, slow the narrative and allow for "lawyers" to hijack the day. The players still push the narrative within that context, of course and they provide the fun and joy of any such adventure.

I've been following that approach for almost thirty years and I've never had a bad game.

I shall now step down from my soapbox. Thanks to Bluewillow for a great day.

It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Conrad Hawkwood

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
Yes the mummy was a bit of a dud.. three puncheds a whack with a  very big stick and  two Glasgow kisses and it was all over for  it..

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
Yes the mummy was a bit of a dud.. three puncheds a whack with a  very big stick and  two Glasgow kisses and it was all over for  it..

well the Big Willow is a deft as any with a swift Glasgow kiss  lol