Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 08:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697129
  • Total Topics: 118809
  • Online Today: 409
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF Anarchists  (Read 6574 times)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
VSF Anarchists
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
Hey guys

does anyone know where one would start if one was trying to create a small VSF 28mm Anarchist force for GASLIGHT?

I am heavily inspired by the Warlord of the Air and Land Ironclads by Michael Moorcock. I have yet to read the Steel Tsar.

I'm going to work on some British first, but I would love to do some anarchists at some point. They seem rather dubious! :D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: VSF Anarchists
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »
There are some "Nanarchists" in the Pax Limpopo line...

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_153_161&sort=3a

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:28:36 PM »
haha

Not quite what I have in mind.

I was thinking more along the organised force kind of route I guess.

To be honest, I really want to go along the lines of the anarchists in Warlord of the Air! :P

I'll have to read it again.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
haha

Not quite what I have in mind.

To be honest, I really want to go along the lines of the anarchists in Warlord of the Air! :P

I'll have to read it again.

Maybe use some "Ragged Confederates" for starters, to get that motley look? Or some less "wild west" looking figures, from Foundry, for instance.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
Not read that one. Care to give a brief synopsis?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »

Isnt that a oxymoron?, after all one anarchist bombed his mates in a meeting because he didnt believe they should have meetings.

If its uniformed you are after what about Parrooms masked minions, they also do some bomb throwing anarchists.
Mine are mainly in civilian type wear, undercoated but not painted Im afraid.

Cheers Mors

PS You may like the works of George Griffiths, things like The Angel of the Revolution -anarchists in aeronefs!

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 01:22:53 AM »
I did a team of mercs for 40K some years back, I went out a got any figure with even vaguely appropriate weaponry. When it came to painting, they all had a different colour scheme, but all had blue bandanas. If you really want a unique mish-mash of a force, walk into your local second-hand mini dealer and grab whatever comes to hand.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:21:20 AM »
West Wind has a pack of Anarchist Vampires with Bombs, but true to form only have pictures of one of the models up.

I've seen the entire pack. You may want to do head swaps, but a good set of figs.

Mors mentioned Paroom Station. Here they are:

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_30&products_id=306

And whats wrong with the Nanarchists?  ;) They would be a must for any Anarchist force.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:26:53 AM »
Not read that one. Care to give a brief synopsis?

It's part of the Nomad of Time series. It's actually based in 1902, but has a distinct VSF feel, with all the Land Ironclads and Airships involved in the series.
This WIKI entry could tell you more than I ever could!  lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nomad_of_the_Time_Streams

Basically, it's Moorcock, so it must be worth reading.  ;)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »
I am building a vsf force around Gangs of newyork figures they will be a confederation of the True Blue Americans and Iirsh amaerican gangs and as such will be very much anti British. There are lots of figures form Brigade, The Virtual Armchair General and others who would do as armed civilians and the like to act as anarchists

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:11:34 AM »
That sounds perfect!

I'm thinking of having a mad scientist as their 'leader', reknowned for nicking automata from the empire and painting them black, bearing the death's head and circled 'A' of the anarchists!  :)

The west wind vampires look great. And they are UK based which is a plus. I'll just have to get more 'miniature smart'.  :)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:27 AM »
That sounds perfect!

I'm thinking of having a mad scientist as their 'leader', reknowned for nicking automata from the empire and painting them black, bearing the death's head and circled 'A' of the anarchists!  :)

The west wind vampires look great. And they are UK based which is a plus. I'll just have to get more 'miniature smart'.  :)
Check Northstar they do the Brigade gangters, WW also have a mob and victorian civilians in their Gothic horror range and many of the Wild west figures can fit in too.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
actually, these guy look the job!
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_18&products_id=82

Maybe these guys:
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_19&products_id=40

And of course, your mad vamps!

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_30&products_id=306

I'll probably add in some historical Anarchists too! Gotta do some research tonight I think!  :D

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »
It is also worth checking out some other ranges such as partizans (for WW2), with flat caps and the like they would work quite well, possibly may have to do some head swaps. There may be demolition guys, I am sure WW have some and Black tree etc

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:29:24 AM »
I'm getting more aquainted with Anarchist imagery lately, the (A) symbol (symbolising 'Order is Anarchy, Anarchy is Order' apparently) only acheived common usage after 1968, and the first definite case of it being used by Anarchists was 1963. Apparently there's a photo from the War in Spain (so, say circa 1937) where a guy has an 'A' in a circle on his hat, and it's assumed he's an Anarchist, but it's not certain.

Before 1931, Anarchists used the Black Flag and/or the Red Flag. Sometimes they'd have symbols like death's heads/skull and crossbones, or fists, to symbolise resistance to authority.

After 1931 the diagonally-quatered red-and-black flag of the Anarcho-Syndicalists became more common.

... after all one anarchist bombed his mates in a meeting because he didnt believe they should have meetings...

Do you have a reference for that? It sounds pretty extraordinary.

In the 1880s there was an Anarchist Party in Italy, I'm pretty certain. An organised group of Anarchists in Sheffield was fielding candidates in elections in the same period IIRC. So the idea of 'organised Anarchists' isn't too far-fetched...