Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:07:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Orc's Drift - The Grand Finale  (Read 133248 times)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: Orc's Drift
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2010, 10:07:39 PM »
OK, here goes... the pictures don't really convey the general impression but I'll comment on each and you can decide for yourself if Mega Minis are something to go for. I do recommend them though. =)

First up, from the left: GW Skeleton, Mega "Aging wizard" (Human NPC), Mega "Cleric crusader" (Human NPC), GW Militiaman

The aging wizard is just the right size. Cleric crusader is as close you can get while still on the small side. In the picture they both look fine - but when holding the cleric in your hand it is a tad smallish. Works just fine with 80s citadel though!

Next, from the left: GW Militiaman, Mega "Questing Ranger" (Grenadier), Mega "Fighting Cleric" (Grenadier), Mega "Monk with staff" (Townsfolk), GW Skeleton.

These are a bit harder to pinpoint. The feeling of the grenadier minis is wrong, scale wise. They feel smaller. I guess they'd be classified as heroic 25mm? Same with the monk. They work - but there's something not quite right about the scale. They're a bit too slender... or rather, the GW minis are a bit too chunky. =)

Finally, a few Arabians.

These are defenitely too small to mix with GW without thinking "hey, these are smaller". I bought them to use as pawns for a board game though - so it doesn't trouble me. They are the smallest of the bunch, as can be seen below where I compare the different Mega Minis.

Conclusion? Well, the scale can be a bit hit and miss. At the price and service level, they are very well worth it though. Especially if you need to bulk up on towns people. The arabians were the poorest sculpts. The Grenadier line are very crisp casts, but not as nice as the Human NPC line.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
Cheers Phreedh -very handy - think I might get in trouble if I go ahead though... :-[

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2010, 01:09:36 AM »
Was having the same probs when the missus took offense at my spending a bit when my son was just born. Luckily, my friend, also a new dad, took off w/ his buddies on a 3-day golfing weekend, and I looked like a Prince! :D

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2010, 06:39:56 AM »
Hehe - fortune favours the brave!  :D

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2010, 08:45:51 AM »
I always point out I could be down the pub watching footy every other night,  golfing as you pointed out, on crack or even worse addicted to shoes and face cream. The last one there is liable to go up in your face if you don't time it well. It only seams an expensive hobby if you ignore how much everything else costs. Having said that I know when I've spent too much and the other world voucher scheme and my goblin spear quest has put me close to the edge for a little while.

The mega minis look good for scale. Anyone looked at the old glory revolting peasants? The sculpts probably ain't the best but a big variety of poses and the right scale for older stuff. I'm looking at the women and children in particular.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:19 PM »
I always point out I could be down the pub watching footy every other night,  golfing as you pointed out, on crack or even worse addicted to shoes and face cream.

All good points but I don't have a leg to stand on as my other leisurely pursuit is clay pigeon shooting...  ::)

... and I was sorely tempted by the Otherworld offer... :P

Pictures of the Old Glory revolting peasants would be very useful - how do websites sell stuff without pictures?!

These could have potential though -

http://www.oldgloryuk.com/disp_item.php?c=384&oc=4598

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2010, 08:37:03 AM »
Hey they ain't bad, certainly fill in the mega mini holes with some decent looking females.

The Old Glory revolting peasants can be seen on the US site which incidentally is about the only way to get hold of the women and children pack at the moment.

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/products.asp?cat=169

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:39:37 AM by Erny »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
Those revolting peasants look quite tasty!  :D ;)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2010, 01:07:50 AM »
Got a load of painting done at the weekend but having left my camera at work there's a bit of a backlog....

Here's the first lot but as its getting late I'll post the rest tomorrow!  o_o

First up is Fangor Gripe, Chieftain of the Vile Rune Orcs, and tasked with the destruction of the Wood Elf garrison at Kachas Pass before meeting the rest of the Orc invasion force at Orc's Drift.

Having acquired four nice Big'uns I thought they'd go nicely with the old alternative rider that came with the War Wyvern and together they'd fit the bill for King Fyarr's Royal bodyguard - wait for it....

The Fyarr Guard!  lol

Not 100% convinced by the shield - had a brainwave to use a couple of the old plastic goblin shields that came with the horrible platic gobbo spearmen from the 4th ed. rules - nice leering face! Tried to paint a crown to emulate the motif on the shields for the Fyarr Guard in the scenario booklet but because the surface wasn't flat it isn't very defined - may change them for flat shields yet and have a go at freehand...  :'(

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2010, 06:29:06 AM »
Now there's lovely...

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:42 AM »
Finally! Glad to see a post from you again! =) Love the old one-eye! Reminds me of the fimir. Agree with you on the shields, it's a bit unclear what's going on above the goblin head. Not bad enough for you to redo them with other shields, though. They look good!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »
Cheers guys - good to be back - bloody work keeps getting in the way!  >:(

I agree with you Phreedh on the fimir - now I have to resist starting a warband - definitely can't afford that!

As for the shields might try to sharpen them up a bit with some outlining and more highlights although the motif (if you happen to own the Orc's Drift scenario you'll know what thet look like!) is a strong one and I'd like to do it justice so may end up freehanding it... when I can lay my hand on some nice large flat round shields...

Quick update for this morning - Bagrash, the Kwae Karr shaman - bit more on him and the others on my blog -

http://teasgettingcold.blogspot.com/2010/05/you-want-to-see-doctor-about-that.html

... and here's the all important pics!

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2010, 07:38:36 AM »
Your Bagrash looks great. :)

Btw, I didn't catch the joke in "The Fyarr Guard"... please enlighten me!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2010, 07:45:16 AM »
Your Bagrash looks great. :)

Btw, I didn't catch the joke in "The Fyarr Guard"... please enlighten me!

Fire Guard?

Now there's lovely (you know the Welsh (I mean Dwarven) guard from Rorke's (I mean Orc's) Drift)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:48 AM »
Fire Guard?

Now there's lovely (you know the Welsh (I mean Dwarven) guard from Rorke's (I mean Orc's) Drift)
Being Swedish I didn't even think to pronounce it like "fire"... I thought "fy'-arr", and it seems I lack the proper frame of reference as well. =) After a quick google, I now get the header on Thant's blog as well... "about as much use as a chocolate fire guard".

Island kooks... :P