Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Orc's Drift - The Grand Finale  (Read 133258 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: Orc's Drift - Skulldred battle report added!
« Reply #285 on: August 27, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »
Cheers for the thought fellas - must say I've never seen a softback 3rd ed book but then again there's a lot in this wide world I haven't seen yet...  ;)

Phreedh - may well have to take you up on that offer if something I've got my eye on doesn't come off in the next few days - very kind offer by the way! I've already got Ravening Hordes by the by.  :D

I do love 3rd ed though - the book that is, I seem to remember games being a bit long winded - and I too have a copy by my bed but its not a particularly pungent one so maybe I'm missing out there?  ;D)

Anyway must stop procrastinating... must paint...  o_o

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Cheers for the thought fellas - must say I've never seen a softback 3rd ed book but then again there's a lot in this wide world I haven't seen yet...  ;)

Phreedh - may well have to take you up on that offer if something I've got my eye on doesn't come off in the next few days - very kind offer by the way! I've already got Ravening Hordes by the by.  :D

I do love 3rd ed though - the book that is, I seem to remember games being a bit long winded - and I too have a copy by my bed but its not a particularly pungent one so maybe I'm missing out there?  ;D)

Anyway must stop procrastinating... must paint...  o_o

I have 3rd ed in Hardback AND softback! Also have ravening hordes! Not as cool as the 3rd ed Warhammer 'Armies' book, and I need the Siege book for 3rd.
I only have them because they are nice to own, from what I've heard, they are terribly long winded, so I will probably never play them. My softcover one is particularly dog-eared, and has some guy's address written on the inside in blue felt tip pen.

WHFRP 1st edition (or 2nd edition, which was a reprint of 1st) is great to own as well if you are into old school Warhammer, it's where a lot of the background was written. What I find the most interesting is the Ogres, which are said to have a real lust for eating and worship 'The Great Maw' a concept which GW put BACK into the background in 2005 with the 'Ogre Kingdoms' army.

Funny really.  :)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
What I find the most interesting is the Ogres, which are said to have a real lust for eating and worship 'The Great Maw' a concept which GW put BACK into the background in 2005 with the 'Ogre Kingdoms' army.

Well I never!

Is there still hope for the Zoats, Fimir, Gnomes, the Norse and Nipponese then?!  ;D ;)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #288 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
The Norse are back in the background and swamp beasts that dwell on albion (i.e. the fimir) are too.
Oh and Nippon, Cathay and Ind.

Gnomes and Zoats go unmentioned. Can't have everything though!  lol

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #289 on: August 29, 2010, 12:03:58 PM »
Mmmm interesting - I've always fancied a Fimir raiding party but been put off by the sky high prices on ebay - some new minis could be good!  8)

Sure it'll never happen though - wasn't there some aprocaphyl tale of them being dropped because of the unsavoury back story of how they reproduced?  ;D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #290 on: August 29, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure I saw a thread with some not-fimirs from another company not so long ago.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #291 on: August 29, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
Bloodmoon miniatures do the not-fimirs.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #292 on: August 30, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
Yeah remember across these chaps a while back - really nice minis...

... but green is good but only with two eyes, green is good but only with two eyes, must paint more orcs...  ;D

Finished my first batch of orc archers and nearly done the rest of the Hobhounds...  :D

Pics to come soon!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »
... and here they are!

Some villagers next methinks...  :D

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
Is that an Orc with a Centurion Plume? :o
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Delaney

• Scientist
  • With great power comes great power bills.
    • Delaney King
« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2010, 02:43:38 AM »
Sure is- a Perry sculpted, pre-Kevin Adams orc leader.
If you check out heroes for wargames book, there is a picture of the same model that someone converted by filing away the helmet, leaving him with a cool mohawk!

Love those orc archers...  hey... was it you who outbid me on that block of archers a month back?  :)
Delaney King:  Digital Artist, Sculptor, Character Artist, TransDimentional Spatula Wielder, Sandwich.
My retro mini blog:  http:www.kingsminis.blogspot.com       My own minis and games:  www.darklinggames.com

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2010, 06:32:46 AM »
Nice stuff Thants, really like the pack of hounds!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
Cheers fellas!

Hey that's no ordinary leader orc - that's Grashak Kra, fearless but slightly chewed Handler of the Hob Hounds of the feared Severed Hand Tribe!  >:D Like the sound of that conversion by the by!

I got most of my Harboth archers a while back off Hetz and had a few random 80s archers from when I were a lad so not guilty Dave!  :D

I wouldn't like to say how long some of them have been waiting for a lick of paint...

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »
Well I reckon I've earnt me a beer or two by now with this project!

Come on down to Ye Olde Slann in Space - a finer Ale House you will not find this side of the Northern Wastes..

Run by a friendly crowd -

Arthur Bitte, the Landlord -

His old Dad, Aulden Bitte (so wanted to call him Uncle Albert!)

His young daughter, Fancia Bitte (sorry!  ;D)

Helga Fästman, the barmaid/bouncer -

And life-long denizen of the old Slann -Elwin Presslay - busker and general ne'er-do-well -

He also comes complete with Barnabuss - his faithful dancing monkey and a complicated love triangle between him, Fancia and Helga!?  :o

According to the scenario notes if he is killed then the two ladies become subject to frenzy - hell hath no fury and all that!  lol

While we're on the subject of Helga - thought I'd wasted a few quid on her when she arrived and I reread the description on ebay to find I'd bought a 30mm mini by mistake! Not to be deterred I promptly placed an upturned shield (dropped platter) by her feet along with some bread rolls so she could be my rather large, half-ogre, baker! Then I procured the actual baker mini so green stuff came out again to add a spilt beer tankard and she found employment at the Alehouse instead!  :D

Loads more background/rambling on the blog - http://teasgettingcold.blogspot.com/2010/09/for-every-wound-balm.html

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »
I'm loving the Slan in Space placard! lol

He also comes complete with Barnabuss - his faithful dancing monkey and a complicated love triangle between him, Fancia and Helga!?

Hmmm, I think I have spied an unclear pronoun antecedent! Is it Barnabuss or Elwin Presslay that involved in the complicated love triangle? My money is on the monkey.
I mean... come on... just check out that dapper red hat.