Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690799
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British Police Officer with MP5 'on patrol'  (Read 17395 times)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
Re: British Police Officer with MP5 'on patrol'
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »
I agree. I think its a perfectly fine and usable figure. Perhaps not 100% spot-on if youre intimately familiar with the equipment, but fine for most.
I particularly like the pose/stance.
The only modern British police figures I have are the Hasslefree ones. I wonder how it would compare in size?

http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=33
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
now aren't we picky these days  ;) ;)

Yes former user you are quite correct, perhaps I am being too nit picking on this, although Grimjack did ask me for some technical advice. I hate to criticise a figure sculptor, because I can't do it myself, and I admire those who can. But I will admit to being very interested in this project because of my previous professional connection with the subject matter, and therefore perhaps my desire to get it right is greater than most.

Actually, I thought the Hasslefree figures were absolutely superb and got it spot on!!

My defence rests Sir.  :) :) :)
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
Although the figure looks good at first glance with a good pose and a decent feel for the subject I must say that I would prefer if the equipment was added to to make it more correct. I'm also not convinced by the hair or the back view of the legs.

I would like to get a range of decent modern police, I had high hopes for the No Go Zone figures (the game is good) but they've all been sub par so far so I've avoided them.

This is already better than them but could, with just a little tweek or two, be perfect :)

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »
like it and wwill purchase when ready I   want a few different poses, I agree about the equipment and maybe the hat but still a good figure thats not available elsewhere , thanks for filling that gap when no one else would (except the hot fuzz ones from hasslefree)

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
Thank you for all your comments, I have e-mailed the sculptor and suggested he have a look here on LAF.

There are more on the way. The average cop carries so much kit that we had to make a trade-off between the 28mm sculpt and reality. We will try to provide the best minis we can to fill a gap.

I hope to have more pictures to show you fairly soon.
Remember: the dice are not your friends!

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
Random question from the US:

I always thought that British Officers were not allowed to carry firearms. Are they now required to be armed due to concerns for safety? Are these special "SWAT" type officers?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Offline Grimjack

• Scientist
  • Z List Wargames Industry Celebrity
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
The ordinary 'cop on the street' is not armed on the whole but we have seen an increase in specially trained armed officers at airports, coastal ports and, scarily for me, my home city of Nottingham at times. They are known as Armed Response Unit officers and are used to support other officers.

Having said that, many parts of the police service have 'standard' officers carrying pepper and CS spray, plus tazers whilst on patrol. Back in my brief day, we had a radio, torch, gloves, cuffs and a truncheon (shortened version of the American billy club-type). Interestingly, we avoided using our truncheon due to the fact that we had to fill out a lot of paperwork if we did, as it was technically classed as an offensive weapon!

As part of the new range, we are including members of the CO19, London's premier armed response unit - now, those people look more like SWAT and have vehicles, weapons, etc. to match.

Hope this helps, whether you see armed officers over here depends upon where you visit, etc. Most of the time, the ' British Bobby' still predominates.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 08:45:27 PM »
scarily for me, my home city of Nottingham at times.

Didn't realise you hung around the same haunt as me :)

The only time I see the armed guys in Nottingham these days is when there is a high profile court case on. Then the transfer routes will be guarded, as will the streets around the court house. However as the court house is between the train station and the bus station, a short distance from one of the shopping centres, they're still seen fairly often :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »

looking at it, I think it's the arse that is putting the proportions out... from the front, the legs look ok as the groin is hidden by the pose/crease of the trousers, but from the back the arse/thigh crease (for want of a better word) looks too low... perk the cheek up a bit and it should be ok... I'll defer to others about the kit...

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »
Looks good to me, more kit would be a nice addition.

It's already looking far better than the No Go Zone minis I picked up last year.

Great project there Grimjack, it's also great that we have people like Trooper here who can give real expert advice on the subject, I'm looking forward to seeing this range develop.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
At some point, some folk are going to see a magnificent new miniature and look back and reflect that they contributed to its creation by their detailed knowledge of policemen's bums. Some may find that worrisome but I say no, embrace diversity! And anyone who spends the amount of time required, admiring Plod's posterior is an unlikely candidate to be lobbing rocks at them next time the G8 rocks into town.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
Grimjack, I take your comments on board, but you've invested a lot of effort in this project, not to mention money, so I wanted it to be right. Some compromise is obviously required, if only to accommodate casting etc. Besides, you are filling an important gap in the market with these figures. So I'll keep quiet about the missing back pockets on the trousers then.

I await the finished products eagerly. Sorry to be a pain.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 12:20:19 AM »
now aren't we picky these days  ;) ;)

apart from everyone being entitled to his own oppinion,

could it be that we all are more critical when it comes to miniatures that we are very aware of the prototype, either because we have a well researched idea of it or because it is a today, real life object we see all the time (as in this case)?
only an impression of mine, without counting me out  ;)

in this case, I see the point about the haircut and the "missing" equipment.
However, a belt full a stuff might look normal on a human 1:1, but possibly a bit overstuffed on a 28 mm model and concealing the pelvis area. After all, it is only a prototypical interpretation of an armed security agent, or not?

Could it be that we accept something from earlier times more easily because we are used to simplified interpretations we see in media (of any kind?)
I recall how roman soldiers and their equipment were reconstructed before people started to do experimental archaeology and the picture changed a lot....

It's just a long wanted figure/concept so my comments are only aimed to help to get it perfect, (or as near as dammit)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

former user

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »
 :-X

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood - I had hoped to give a reflected and differentiated comment...
As it happens, I realized myself how picky I tend to get when it comes to stoneage and cavemen  ;)
I'd call it professional malformation  ;) ;)

Anyway, may I add to the other constructive contributions in suggesting that the huge amount of equipment might be cast separately, thus allowing everyone to add the personally fancied amount, and also giving the option for Near Future equipment and increase the target group of buyers? Maybe separate heads too?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »
I like him a lot, as said I think tighten up the arse cheeks and seat of his pants will remove the short leg look :)

The hat is fine as you will see coppers who wear them some of which look a little big and other small on their heads