Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese and other SE Asian buildings?  (Read 11277 times)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: Chinese and other SE Asian buildings?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »
Nah, as it probably was an existing settlement with a small harbour somewhere on the south-east Chinese coast, before being turned into a trading station for the European powers, I think it should have an 'anglofied' Chinese (Cantonese?) name.

When I think of one, I'll post about it in my Pulp Stuff thread.  :)

31st parallel north = East China Sea

31 in Cantonese =Samling

SAME LING OUTPOST  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 11:39:20 PM »
All the french suppliers of Chinese buildings make me giggle a bit for an entirely silly reason. I don't know if this is true in France, but over here in Canada, "Shepherd's pie" translates as "Paté Chinois" in French!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 04:03:40 AM »
All the french suppliers of Chinese buildings make me giggle a bit for an entirely silly reason. I don't know if this is true in France, but over here in Canada, "Shepherd's pie" translates as "Paté Chinois" in French!

True; in french cuisine it would be hachis parmentier - according to wikipedia!  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 09:59:35 PM »
31st parallel north = East China Sea

31 in Cantonese =Samling

SAME LING OUTPOST  ;)

Not bad - I'll see if it grows on me.  :)

I lust received confirmation that the building complex is underway from China (of all places  lol ). Even if it should turn out to be a wrong size, it will be a nice project to build and paint with my daughters (and even more so if it fits the bill and I have to modify the roofs to make the interiors accessible).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »
Not bad - I'll see if it grows on me.  :)

I lust received confirmation that the building complex is underway from China (of all places  lol ). Even if it should turn out to be a wrong size, it will be a nice project to build and paint with my daughters (and even more so if it fits the bill and I have to modify the roofs to make the interiors accessible).

Argonor, a family hobby project is just GREAT! Hope you can use the building for your wretched hive of scum and villany eastern trade establishment!  ;) 

I also have an idea to someday make a "China Station" Pulp setting inspired by the 80s TV series "Tales of the Golden Monkey", so I am very curious to see how yours turns out to be!  :) 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:35:29 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 10:50:30 PM »
Argonor, a family hobby project is just GREAT! Hope you can use the building for your wretched hive of scum and villany eastern trade establishment!  ;) 

I also have an idea to someday make a "China Station" Pulp setting inspired by the 80s TV series "Tales of the Golden Monkey", so I am very curious to see how yours turns out to be!  :) 

Don't hold your breath, though, my last Pulp project took about 9 years from conception to finish  lol

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=932.0

I am actually just now rebasing the last couple of minis, and hope to soon get going on expanding the factions into full Pulp Alley size Leagues, as I prefer simpler, faster rules these days.

Too many plans/minis, too little time...  ::)

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 12:32:39 AM »
These may be too urban for your needs, but Knights of Dice do a great Chinatown range
http://knightsofdice.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51_65&zenid=bce9836318b511e3e1f55a0bf53cf7dd

Also Watchful i studios have a chinese "sacred building" which was one of the nicest mdf/resin kits I have assembled and painted.
http://www.watchfulistudio.com/store/c8/Buildings.html

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 12:39:33 AM »
Don't hold your breath, though, my last Pulp project took about 9 years from conception to finish  lol

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=932.0

I can't see the pictures!  :(

I am actually just now rebasing the last couple of minis, and hope to soon get going on expanding the factions into full Pulp Alley size Leagues, as I prefer simpler, faster rules these days.

Clear bases is the way to go, IMHO!  ;)

Too many plans/minis, too little time...  ::)

Sadly, this is true!  :'(

Isn't the travel itself more significative than reaching the destination?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:08:33 AM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »
I can't see the pictures!  :(

Try this link, scroll down a bit:
http://argonor-wargames.blogspot.dk/search/label/Pulp

Clear bases is the way to go, IMHO!  ;)

Not for me, I'm doing all steel washers (I am just working on getting rid of the slottas in my collection)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 07:56:31 PM »
These may be too urban for your needs, but Knights of Dice do a great Chinatown range
http://knightsofdice.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51_65&zenid=bce9836318b511e3e1f55a0bf53cf7dd

Also Watchful i studios have a chinese "sacred building" which was one of the nicest mdf/resin kits I have assembled and painted.
http://www.watchfulistudio.com/store/c8/Buildings.html

Thanks, I am aware of Knights of Dice's fantastic Art Deco buildings range - they are on my wish list for somewhen in the future  :)

As for the WI building, it is surely nice, but I have decided that all my future building purchases will be mdf (or the equivalent). It is cheap (ompared to other products), light (less postage), durable when treated right, and almost most important: nearly always has accessible interiors for that extra 'oomph'.

I appreciate your input, though - no idea is wasted, as inspiration can be found in a myriad of sources.  :)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »

Not for me, I'm doing all steel washers (I am just working on getting rid of the slottas in my collection)

Don't you feel upset when a miniature with a jungle-themed base go indoors and ruin the carpet with mud and foliage?  :o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 09:03:10 PM »
Don't you feel upset when a miniature with a jungle-themed base go indoors and ruin the carpet with mud and foliage?  :o

Nope. I'm much more concerned by Vikings standing on slaps of thick glass. Besides, I use the magnetic properties of the washers for storage (and soon also for movement trays), and cannot be bothered to buy expensive neodyne magnets, remove integral bases, drill holes in bases, etc., etc....

I also like the weight added by the washers - and all in all I am very happy with that choice for bases.  :)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 09:27:03 PM »
Nope. I'm much more concerned by Vikings standing on slaps of thick glass. Besides, I use the magnetic properties of the washers for storage (and soon also for movement trays), and cannot be bothered to buy expensive neodyne magnets, remove integral bases, drill holes in bases, etc., etc....

I also like the weight added by the washers - and all in all I am very happy with that choice for bases.  :)

Argonor, I agree with you that removing integral bases can be s**t... but my carpets are very happy with the results! lol  Since I really put a lot of consideration in the terrain modeling aspect of the hobby, I think that all the time and effort needed to get a really nice set of terrain is valid, and then letting every model benefit from it by standing by it on a clear base!  ;)

Since I don't use movement trays, I also don't need to drill holes or use magnets with my 1mm acrylic clear bases, only a small dot of my super secret crazy glue!  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:41:17 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »
Well, I took the chance and ordered this (link courtesy of Poiter50):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391274897869

I got this in January, btw. Alas, it is too small, I think, probably suited for 15 or 20 mm. I shall still build it and try to modify it for gaming purposes - then I can use it as reference for building a 28mm version at a later time.

Future posts about it will be added to this thread:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72812.0

Online fusilierdan

• Librarian