Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British Infantry  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: British Infantry
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
Huh! No one has even mentioned webbing........

My take on NW Europe; Use the Vallejo Brit. Uniform,use a mix such as chocolate brown for the shade and a beige brown for the highlights,it should be browny not too green.However Canadian made uniforms were greener as were armoured uniforms.
   Orctrader I think you may got a dud bottle,I've two bottles of Brit.Uniform,each is different.....one lighter one darker and the difference in colour is distinct.
  If you can still get it use Mike Owen's (Artizan Design) Brit Uniform download,excellent and it was free.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »

And furthermore Brit. Uniform is a colour,a khaki colour.Not a Federal Standard,much like German Field Grey the variations are endless........

BTW Plynkes is the Brit Uniform man,his advise is usually spot on. ;)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Orctrader I think you may got a dud bottle,I've two bottles of Brit.Uniform,each is different.....one lighter one darker and the difference in colour is distinct.
  If you can still get it use Mike Owen's (Artizan Design) Brit Uniform download,excellent and it was free.

Could be right on the "dud."  I often find that paint varies dramatically.  And I have the Artizan d/load.   :)

My Commandos are recent painting so I can recall the "research."  Quite a lot of testing and picture-gazing.  Rejected the Vallejo Brit uniform as mentioned.  Rejected the Panzer Aces British...whatever it's called.  Tested - and rejected -  various combinations - I mix and intermix as I go anyway.  I felt the "final" recipe was just about right.   :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
Could be right on the "dud."  I often find that paint varies dramatically.  And I have the Artizan d/load.   :)

My Commandos are recent painting so I can recall the "research."  Quite a lot of testing and picture-gazing.  Rejected the Vallejo Brit uniform as mentioned.  Rejected the Panzer Aces British...whatever it's called.  Tested - and rejected -  various combinations - I mix and intermix as I go anyway.  I felt the "final" recipe was just about right.   :)

That's the way to do it,ones own eye ;)

Cheers

Guy

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
BTW Plynkes is the Brit Uniform man,his advise is usually spot on. ;)

Very nice of you to say so, but I actually get this kind of thing hopelessly wrong rather too often.  lol
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »
Range of mid browns will do, with variations in how much grey and how much yellow mixed in. I use enamels and Humbrol 26 is perfect for a yellowish - but still quite acceptable - variant.

Like feldgrau, dye lots and wear varied the colour greatly. Don't mix in green as the uniforms were brown.

Armoured battledress was exactly the same. NOT greener. All branches used denim battle dress in warm weather and this could be green-brown.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 05:41:55 AM »
Should have been more specific,I was not refering to the battledress as such for tankies,rather their working clothes. Armoured units were  the arm most associated (in my mind) with that colour.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:03:22 AM by Greywolf »