Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beasts of War - from the Golden Age ... NOW WITH SCHAEDELBERG!  (Read 26483 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: Beasts of War - from the Golden Age ...
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 05:16:53 PM »
Zoids!

How I coveted Zoidzilla!  >:D

Weren't some Zoids featured as Rogue Trader battle robots or summat in 'eavy metal or one of the compendiums?

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 05:46:10 PM »
Simply Brilliant Michael. I remember almost drooling over the pictures when I got that issue. Any chance of some pictures of the dwarf pirate ship as well? ???
A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 06:09:16 PM »
Oh my. That's a bit special. And extremely well painted even all those years ago. :o

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 06:12:17 PM »
Wowzaaaaaaaaaaaaa really awesome stuff. Nice work, thanks for sharing!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 07:07:25 PM »
WOW the things you learn on this forum. That is a stunning model :-* :-* :-*.
Its amasing to learn you built it :o
I am sure I had a poster with that picture up in my room for a bout 10 years.

Online Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
 :o

Goodness gracious... utterly jaw dropping.

Absolutely fantastic.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
This makes me feel old. I stopped getting WD before issue 100, so I've not seen these things before, but they certainly are gorgeous!

Jim, Zoids are great. I wish I still had mine!

Made me feel better, actually. My collection started at 108, though, so I don't have that issue.  :'(
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
Weren't some Zoids featured as Rogue Trader battle robots or summat in 'eavy metal or one of the compendiums?

I think it was Kevin Walker who made a scout titan out of the big mollusc zoid and a set Star Wars ATST legs.

Jim, Zoids are great. I wish I still had mine!

Don't get me wrong, I loved zoids and was only missing The Great Zark (I think that was his name, the early blue stegga) and I think the little version of Red Horn the Terrible (can't remember his name). I had the annuals aswell but being the stupid t*** I was, I swapped them as bits for some GW stuff... DOH!!!

I've only got two Trooper Zoid cockpits now  :'(

It's taken off again in Japan and some of the professionally painted ones are amazing  :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »
Issue 100 was the best ever White Dwarf, mainly because of your work.

Relly nice to see some close ups and other angles. Thank you.

Absolutely, the last one I bought but sadly now lost (along with the poster?), after that it started to go bad!

Amazing stuff!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
There's an issue 100 in the local Oxfam, I might go pick it up...

Believe me Thebinmann, your nostalgic view of the old White Dwarfs is flawed, they were full of adverts. Literally. One or two articles and the rest... adverts.
The articles were usually pretty good, especially the old Blanchitsu articles.  :)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »
Rob, I don't think you are going back far enough.  I bought the first few dozen issues, and had dropped out of gaming well before issue 100.  I don't think that Warhammer had even been published yet when I stopped.  Those early ones were full of articles - mostly RPG scenarios, additional rules, character classes and so on.  And the adverts - then from multiple companies - were the only way, except for word-of-mouth, that we got to hear of most products, so they were invaluable themselves.

But that wasn't the golden age, and nor was the 1980s - despite the abilities of craftsmen such as the Admiral to work wonders with the limited supplies available.  The golden age is now - in terms of the sheer range of minis, their sculpting quality, their casting quality (I've got some late 70s stuff that looks like the mould halves were on different continents when they were cast), the variety and playability of rules, and, above all, the ability of gamers to communicate and share their work.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
nah, honestly mate, those ones, where WHFB HAD been released are still full of adverts.

Golden age of White Dwarf, in my opinion, was the mid-90s.

Golden age of miniature gaming is now. But the problem is, nostalgia always wins and people want what isn't available anymore. This is why companies can get so much enterprise by re-releasing old models.  ::)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »
There's an issue 100 in the local Oxfam, I might go pick it up...

Believe me Thebinmann, your nostalgic view of the old White Dwarfs is flawed, they were full of adverts. Literally. One or two articles and the rest... adverts.
The articles were usually pretty good, especially the old Blanchitsu articles.  :)

Maybe $but they were also full of roleplaying stuff too, and not just high priced figs and now the whole mag is one big ad for GW so that's why there are fewer ads.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »

But that wasn't the golden age, and nor was the 1980s - despite the abilities of craftsmen such as the Admiral to work wonders with the limited supplies available.  The golden age is now - in terms of the sheer range of minis, their sculpting quality, their casting quality (I've got some late 70s stuff that looks like the mould halves were on different continents when they were cast), the variety and playability of rules, and, above all, the ability of gamers to communicate and share their work.

True about range but I think he meant the golden age because tha is when it really started to imrpve, the first citadel were good but if you take the Regiments Of Renown I think the late 80s show an improvement and increase in scope (ie not just a hero and 10-12 figs that were all that same).

Additionally for me it was the golden age because it was more affordable, the GW sales alone were amazing (I found a Young Dragn, Hobgolin rocket crew and a load of other packs that I bought for a pound each!) and they also stock RPGs (including non-GW stuff!). So for me it was the golden age because it was the start of really quality in hobby!

When was WD100?

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 03:03:20 PM »
Sheer class, is it wrong to want to use it in a game?

Oh and one man's nostalgia is another man's true appreciation of a certain style. If you love 80's minis you love 80's minis and that's just it.