Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:18:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VBCW What Rules?  (Read 7026 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
VBCW What Rules?
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:02:30 PM »
I am planning to start painting my first VBCW army- a small group of Liverpool based communistist, dock workers and radicals. I have some IRA figures to paint, and have been spying some other suitable minis, from copplestone, Pulp figures and Artizan Designs.

The big question I have is what rules should I use, and where do I get it? Where can I read the 'fluff' of the game period so that I can make informed choises about my force? I know that the setting is quite free-form, being based on fictional historic events, but I want to try to be as authentic as I can.

I would welcome any advice.  :)

Rob
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: VBCW What Rules?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »
It is of course all fictional ... The Leader by Guy Walters is quite a good book to get into the feel of the goings on, as are the biographies of the Mitford and Curzon sisters as it has a lot of fact about Mosley and the period, it all could have easily happened one feels ... the 'source books' from Solway are good background stuff although obviously you are then buying into 'their' background (which is a good culmination of stuff from people all) ... I have nearly finished an alternative 'alternative' background book but it is geared towards 'Flying Lead' from Ganesha Games (obviously as I wrote them it would be!). Should be available fairly soon.

Rules wise depends on the scale you want to do ... any WWI - WWII + rules should work OK depending ... again we do mainly skirmish (10-15 figs a side) and use Flying Lead and then the new 'big battle' rules for platoon stuff. But lots of people use the LOTOW variation which appeared in a mag a month or two ago, Rate of Fire, Rules of Engagement etc ... My favourite (apart from mine of course) have been 'Triumph and Tragedy' which are a 1930s Pulp type set of rules which work real well for platoon + action. I know the Lardies have a supplement covering the genre for their company level WWI set which is good if you like their mechanics ... basically the world is your oyster really ...

It is such a fun period to get into as the quasi historical feel is good and you can have weird and wonderful forces which probably are closer to history than many would seem!

Rich J
Rich J

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:19:31 PM »
Best advice is write your own - trust me, it will be more satisfying (and cheaper) than buying a set - VBCW is all about the character of the forces involved, so you can really make it a feature of the rule sthemselves - such a sby the use of random chance/event cards.

If you don't fancy writing a set yourself, i'd suggest having a look on GWP, as there are loads of threads about rules, particuallry given that the GWPers have staged loads of VBCW games, with anything from half a dozen figure skirmishes up to multi-day, multi-table campaigns.

;)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 03:23:53 PM »
I'm assuming you have the various books from Solway Crafts, if not that's what you need.

I second the suggestions of Triumph and Tragedy and the GWP.

http://gwargamesp.18.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=4
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I will have to try to pick up the solway books at salute. Is anyone running any VBCW games at Salute?

Offline mendoza

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
We have Where Heroes Dare from Iron Ivan...very good rules for this games...

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:51:38 PM »
Empress have some free downloads of rules specifically for VBCW called 'And Was Jerusalem Builded Here?', available here: http://www.empressminiatures.com/page15.htm

What you will have to do is prepare your own event cards to use with these.

As for background, personally I favour an eclectic mix of Jeeves and Wooster, Miss Marple (and 'country house' thriller/drama/capers), 'When the Boat Comes In', 'Dad's Army' and a dash of Weird World War Two/Call of Cthulhu, with stuff I've just made up for no reason other than whimsy.

For example, in my version/backstory, Roderick Spode AKA Lord Sidcup takes the place of Oswald Mosely; but in Northern England (especially Lancashire and Yorkshire) there is a rival Fascist organisation called the British League of Fascists, as the 'Union' is considered too southern and poncey.

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:27 PM »
Akula has it right - writing your own is probably best.

However, the best published rules for the level of game AVBCW is pitched at (platoon vs platoon) is Great Escape Games Rules of Engagement.  Quick, simple, fun.

However, i'd add some method (such as cards) for random wierd stuff happening...
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
British League of Fascists, as the 'Union' is considered too southern and poncey.

lol

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »
Empress have some free downloads of rules specifically for VBCW called 'And Was Jerusalem Builded Here?', available here: http://www.empressminiatures.com/page15.htm

This is a great set of rules. There are some really great ideas in there, really fire up the imagination!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
Look on the GWP site, there are a few sets of event cards there that are ready made.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
This is a great set of rules. There are some really great ideas in there, really fire up the imagination!

That's quite ironic considering they were based on the rules contained in 'Charge!' by Brig. Peter Young & Lt.Col James Lawford, first published in 1970 iirc. PDE chose them for their antiquity and amateur-like attitude to gaming as he thought it would gel well with the 'style' of VBCW.

Don't get me wrong, PDE's additions and changes were well thought through and definitely added to the games played. He just showed that the original rules still had legs after forty years. He could only have topped this by basing them on 'Little Wars'.

Other folks have used Warhammer Great War, Legends of the Old West, the Lardies' Through The Mud and the Blood (which has VBCW lists in a free supplement) and of course 'Triumph and Tragedy', to name but a few. There's also the 'Brigadier 38' rules designed specifically for VBCW. All depends what sort of game you want to play and how you want to play it.

:)  

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
Don't get me wrong, PDE's additions and changes were well thought through and definitely added to the games played. He just showed that the original rules still had legs after forty years. He could only have topped this by basing them on 'Little Wars'.

So, maybe the  future is 54mm lead men with matchstick firing Britain's cannons..............  :D

Full circle achieved!  ;)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
I agree,write your own; I have just finished my own rule for a game this Sunday,what are they called? Well I wanted a British,whimsical name.....'Hostilitys Amongst the Hollyhocks' ::)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »
So, maybe the  future is 54mm lead men with matchstick firing Britain's cannons..............  :D

What do you mean future? Am I doing it wrong if that's what I've been doing all this time?  :?