Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:21:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Highlanders  (Read 3285 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Highlanders
« on: April 26, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
From Warlord's Facebook Page...........

Warlord Games Oh my... We just received a large package of Highlander greens. 32 sculpts to be precise. To say they are sensational does not do them justice. Look for pics in the Warlord newsletter in the next few weeks...
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
Nice. Usually overated as a fighting force, but I still love 'em. I may yet do that Montrose army  :D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:33:03 AM »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:03:40 AM »
Very pretty. They seem to be mainly the snooty, well-equipped "front rank" types, so hopefully the arrant scum will appear soon  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
Some of those are a bit 'over-animated' for my tastes.
Personally, I don't like running figures waving their arms / weapons wildy in the air, although I can see why they've done this given the subject matter. Having said that, some of the metal dragoons suffered from the same problem and I didn't like them either (although the mounted dragoon with the drum on his back is a corker - sadly, you can't buy him separately...)

Warlord seem to be using several different sculptors for their 'Ye Olde Pikey and Shotte' range, and one of the reasons I find them hard to warm to, is that there doesn't seem to be a consistent style.

I really like the look of some of the figures which are recognisably from Mr Hicks (like the new Irish Brigade Command). I really don't like some of the others.
But there's no darn consistency  :-[

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »

But there's no darn consistency  :-[

Sad but true. Some of them are a perfect match for my favourites- the Perrys, some are less impressive. Young Mr Bickley's Essex is a little corker, but sadly, as far as I can tell it's his only one so far. Still, even the less inpressive sculpts are still pretty good and the plastic foot and horse are worth getting in multiples for the sheer value of building large ECW units  :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
These are the best ECW Highlanders yet,to my mind they are Montrose Highlanders hence the animated poses.Capt Blood you are a fussy man,what else is there ? Old Glory,Foundry or Eureka (not counting the Perry's Covenanters). I'll buy them as soon as I can,hopefully they will do the Irish Brigade and Gordon Horse as well.Then I could have a Montrose army to be proud of,and my Old Glory Montrose army can be retired.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
Capt Blood you are a fussy man,what else is there ?

Yes, I am. I admit it. Although I'd call it discriminating ;)

I suspect like a lot of people, I prefer advancing / skirmishing poses. Most sculptors have mastered these and their figures look fairly 'realistic' as a result.
The problem with charging or running poses is that often the figure is portrayed frozen 'mid-sprint' with one leg in the air and arms doing something odd. The sculptor likes the idea - but isn't up to the execution. The anatomy goes to pot, and all too often the figure just looks peculiar as a result.
There are always exceptions that prove the rule of course, but mostly, I think running figures look wrong.

Just my opinion, you understand. Fill your army up with charging / running figures by all means  :)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
You know I tend to agree with you,SYW grenzers in silly poses drive me up the wall >:(. However as an Montrose fan I'm happy to see some vaguely accurate minis.You should see the Old Glory sculpts,wrong kilts on some (the little kilt) and faces suitable only for zombies.And as for the Foundry minis,bloody hell they are like cartoon minis.So all I can say is yes I'm fussy as well,but if one of my favourite armies are done with some panache,I'm more than happy. ;)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
lovely looking stuff,

I think I will replace my 90 odd old glory, foundry, and eureka highlanders

cheers
matt

Offline doobry

• Student
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
nice enough figures but why do manufactuers persist in giving highlanders socks and shoes and bonnets,they always look like they'kitted ot for a wedding .When the highland host was visited on Ayrshire during the killing times shoes was top of the list for acquistion and that was'nt much later than Montrose.also i think as late as Killiekrankie the kilt was dumped for the charge.

iain

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »
I'm presuming the first greens are the better off front-rank "nobility" and hope there will be loads of poorer rear-rank clansmen in just shirts and little else. After all, they seem to be pretty hot on authenticity with the rest of their Civil War figures and the Highlanders' lack of decent clothing is well documented  :)