Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:59:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Miniatures Durnford and friends  (Read 6541 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: Empress Miniatures Durnford and friends
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
Best so far  8)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »
Yes, I agree. The British are the low point in the Foundry range. Frankly, some of the new ones are rubbish. It is their new Zulus that I think shine, whereas the Zulus are the weak link in the Empress range for me*, though their Brits are absolutely splendid, and just brimming over with character.

*I wouldn't say they were bad, just not quite on the same level as their Brits.

Fair point. I'd still have to give it to Empress, as it were :o , as their best stuff (the British and colonial units) is far better than Foundry's equivalent and their worse is only slightly so. Foundry's Zulus may be slightly better, but not enough to make me say Empress's are poor. Overall a win for Empress on points and geting better all the time  :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 07:52:45 AM »
I wouldn't have said Empress' zulus are poor. They are well priced, they look like zulus, they look nice to paint up and you can game with them.
Oh and they match up with the Empress British, which I am sure is a major part of it! The foundry ones are likely too small!
Where's the problem?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
Where does this "poor" come from all of a sudden? Nobody said they were poor. All that was said was that Empress' Brits are better than their Zulus, and that some of Foundry's new Zulus are better than the Empress ones. And Captain Blood has shown that the new Foundry Zulus mix well with Copplestone Ngoni (who are at the "big" end of 28mm), so "likely too small" has no basis in fact.

Where's the problem? Nobody said there was a problem either, just a discussion comparing the merits of the various Zulu ranges.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
Best so far  8)

Phil's pun or the miniatures?

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 09:46:13 AM »
I find that the Empress zulus pictures on the empress site really dont do them justice at all. When i recieved mine they were really great sculpts and wonderful to paint on also the Foundry zulus are booming with individual character and the new foundry zulus have great shields, and are also brilliant. However i prefer the empress zulus because they are more realistic in my opinion 8)

mike

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
The 'problem' with the Empress Zulus is a matter of taste obviously. To my mind they lack power, movement, menace and overall animation. I have painted 148 of them so far, so I think it is at least a balanced judgement valid for me if no one else. I have painted twelve new Foundry ones, I find them more to my liking given the points I made above. However, Empress are cheaper, not withstanding their rather steep p&p charges, so that is a big plus.
Now, the Empress British are an altogether different matter, easily the best available so far, though I've found some of the standard infantry packs vary in sharpness of detail ~ some 'earlier' ones seem more sharply sculpted/cast? Their 7lb and 9lb gun crews though are the best I've seen for ages, lovely animation and design.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:02:55 PM by Yankeepedlar01 »
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
Empress postage is 10% on a standard pack and cheaper on packs over £5 in the UK. People placing larger orders will tend to do better than that. Pretty standard isn't it?

If anyone had an 'unsharp' casting then they should contact Empress directly and I'm sure they'd be taken care of  ;)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
Phil's pun or the miniatures?

Both  lol

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »
Their 7lb and 9lb gun cres though are the best I've seen for ages, lovely animation and design.

definatly agree there yankee the chap holding his helmet under his arm from the 9pndr set is ozzing with character some of the best from empress yet :-*

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »
Yes, I agree. The British are the low point in the Foundry range. Frankly, some of the new ones are rubbish. It is their new Zulus that I think shine, whereas the Zulus are the weak link in the Empress range for me*, though their Brits are absolutely splendid, and just brimming over with character.

*I wouldn't say they were bad, just not quite on the same level as their Brits.

I'll go with that in that I really like the Empress Brits and the Foundry Zulu's.

Christopher