Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689603
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post Apocalypse Greens  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Post Apocalypse Greens
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »
In response to requests ( http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=1959 ), here are my greens of some Mad Max/Post-Apocalypse type figures:

1.  My first proper attempt at a sculpt.  My inability to get heads looking right meant that I avoided the issue by sculpting him with a mask.

2.  Polearm man. Not quite sure about the weapon.  Not happy with the trousers and boots.  No progress on faces!

3.  Better hair and mask (still no progress).  Armed with a chained removed from an EM4 figure (Copplestone) conversion

4.  Bowman. A better mask than some earlier figures. Just as well apocalypse survivors are an ugly (or very shy!) bunch.

5.  The prisoner. Number 5 in the sequence rather than Number 6  :lol:  This is a repeat sculpt of an earlier figure (See below) to see if I could reproduce my sculpts to some extent.

6.  Chainsaw man, armed with a spare Foundry chainsaw.  Hopefully I will be finishing off his head very soon.

7.  Molotov thrower.  Another figure that now needs his head completing.

8.  This figure is intended to man a heavy weapon (Flamer). I have yet to add any hands. He's a bit chubby in the face but was an improvement on my few previous attempts.

9.  An earlier sculpt of the prisoner figure, this time painted up and paraded on the front of a scavenger buggy!

10.  Another painted figure.  This was a part figure used as a driver.  The head came fron a Westwind biker (Which I believe Lowtardog was kind enough to donate to me a year or so ago)

Please feel free to comment on them.

Here is the very first attempt I made at sculpting:

As you can see its pretty crude.  With a little bit of practice the figures I am producing are getting better.  I should point out that I have no sculpting training of any kind other than pottery lessons at school around 30 years ago!  What little I have found out in the interim has come from the internet.

If I can manage it, you can.  Have a go.  After all, you just can't have too many miniatures in the world (Probably something to do with needing to fill an ever expanding universe)  :mrgreen:

BTW Sorry for the very long post.  :oops:

Overlord.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Post Apocalypse Greens
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:42:33 PM »
Some reasonable pieces there.
You say you're not happy with the boots and trousers on the polearm man.
Could you add a zip to the boots, make them like m/c boots perhaps ? And maybe either zips or perhaps better would be straps and buckles on the trousers ?

Look forward to the next ones.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Post Apocalypse Greens
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »
Some really good starts there. Here is a hopefully helpful comment. Unless you were trying to make all the figures to look like their clothes are too big for them, you might want to reduce the folds in some places. If you look at a person with a leg forward, the fabric is usally pulled tight across the front of the thigh. And a couple of the models look like their pants are riding right up their butt crack.

I try and look at photos of people in the positions I am emulating to see how their clothes look when I'm sculpting.

Keep it up though. Your work looks like it is improving greatly with each sculpt.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Post Apocalypse Greens
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
Unless you were trying to make all the figures to look like their clothes are too big for them, you might want to reduce the folds in some places.

I realise the clothing is generally baggy. I was going for a generic "boiler-suit" kind of look for them.  Some of the earlier sculpts are definately too baggy and have been over-sculpted.  This (hopefully) improved on each successive sculpt.

There is no doubt that practice improves the end product. You start to learn what does and doesnt work.  Also the tools I use have grown over time as I try different things.

My biggest problem is that these few greens have been spread out over more than a year.  I intend to make an effort to try and sculpt a bit more regularly in the future.  In fact, I've been trying out Procreate putty for the first time today.  I thought I should as its still early days and if its better than Kneadatite (for me personally) then I can make the switch now.

Thanks for the comments.  

Overlord