Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My workbench  (Read 360934 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: My workbench
« Reply #540 on: April 08, 2014, 09:29:36 AM »
Mead... Unless you are a brewmeister of previously unheard skills, I'd rather drink the contents of the cleaning pot.

I don't know what they put in the brew you've tasted, but I can assure you that my mead tastes absolutely fine. I can best describe it as close to a cream sherry.

I know some people add hop and/or other bitter tastes, but I prefer the pure version.

I've also tasted destilled mead, which is also not quite to my taste.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

former user

« Reply #541 on: April 08, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
I'd rather drink the contents of the cleaning pot.
brewing mead is acually not difficult, if you maintain strict hygiene. otherwise it might actually taste like manure, because it turns into it...

I prefer to add lemon or ginger during the brew to spice it up. I've done it many times.
but maybe it is too cold in Gotland....

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #542 on: April 08, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
Am I the only one that prefers spirits you buy in quantities of jerry cans from a shifty farmer?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #543 on: April 08, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »
Am I the only one that prefers spirits you buy in quantities of jerry cans from a shifty farmer?

I like most dark spirits, not so much the white/clear ones. Whisk(e)y, dark rum, cognac, etc., but mead is not really a spirit, but a wine (with honey + water substituting the fruit juice).

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #544 on: April 09, 2014, 06:58:57 AM »
No you are not the only one but first i have to locate the shifty farmer.  8)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #545 on: May 07, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
I've worked my way through this whole thread over the last couple of days. I'm unbelievably jealous. I used to have a nice little area in our utility room where I could paint stuff and leave all my bits and bobs lying around (as it were):

(this was the workbench while I was in the middle of tidying up a WW2 Japanese officer's sword that the previous owner had left in our house when we bought it - no, seriously)

Unfortunately, we bought a tumble dryer and it's replaced the workbench. I now have to get all my stuff out every time I want to paint anything, and then put it away at the end of the evening. Consequently I've done next to nothing for months, except a little bit of a couple of 1/72 Revell kits with the kids.
 :(

Still, having seen some of the solutions on this thread, necessity is the mother of invention *and* the handmaiden of harmonious marriage, so I'll come up with some way of doing this in the living room while the lovely Mrs K is watching her girly nonsense.

I use a fold up desk, a bit like the ones you would have used in school for exams. Its small enough that I can that it takes up little space and I can keep it set up for long peroids of time without it getting in the way to much and simple to put away if you need to reclaim the extra space. I bought it originally for practicing close up magic and card tricks but kind of got bored of it quite quickly.

http://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/education-furniture/exam-desks/titan-folding-exam-desk.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=XMLbase_feed&utm_term=Exam+Desks&utm_campaign=Titan_Folding_Exam_Desk&gclid=CIm_jr6vmb4CFRIPtAodGiMAQA

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #546 on: December 19, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
I've never had a work area as such. I usually paint laying down in bed or on the sofa - always whilst half-watching TV (though I've noticed this causes me some eye strain changing focus!). Left thumb is the palette, and I have a plastic storage box that I keep all my paints in. That just sits under a table until it needs to come out.

I've always been 'ok' with my painting results, but would love a spare room just for hobby stuff.

Offline bishop odo

• Bookworm
« Reply #547 on: January 31, 2015, 12:26:43 AM »
I'm in the process of building and new painting desk, currently this is a mock up. Finished product will have a shelf and Mirror angled backsplash for more light. Right now the desk area is in a basement, the man cave, so natural light is out of the question, so as you can see, I added a 4 foot florescent T8 light fixture, that right now is a little to warm in tone, it was supposed to be a 3600, so I think I need go up one level in warmth, Lowe's has two more levels available. Anyone else have this problem or can recommended any T8 32 watt bulbs would be helpful. I realize that a lot of you are in the UK, but any suggestion would be great.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/blacktemplar33/Painting%20Desk/Paintingdeskinprocess1.jpg

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:29:22 AM by bishop odo »

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #548 on: February 08, 2015, 04:34:26 AM »
We are super-fortunate and were able to build our own house. My husband and his dad (and lots of other friends and family) built it from the ground up on nights and weekends. The only gaming related output from that time was a total conversion to digital maps which was daunting, but no painting or modeling.

As soon as we moved into the house, Teshub nailed an old workbench to the yet-unfinished wall, pulled up a card table in front of it, and got back to the hobby.

A few years later, we finished the ground floor and opened up our dedicated multi-purpose playroom. Kids played on one side, we played on the other. The door has a lock, so crafting went on at the counter while there were young 'uns about.

Eventually we put shelving in behind the counters. Paints, brushes and mirrors are on the low shelf, hidden from this view. Mini WIPs are in the plastic drawers on the low shelf, middle. Under the game table are stacked bins with houses, walls, taller terrain pieces. Underneath the counter are also more plastic drawers with completed works. (Completely unrelated and just as completely non-negotiable on the right shelves are my scrapbooking materials.)

Along the wall where the door to the crafting space is located, are the newest editions to the space, pull-away overland maps.

It only takes Teshub about 5 minutes to set up shop for painting and modeling.

We generally keep the work space set up until gameday, when it takes about 5 minutes to put away and pull out the papers and dice boxes (custom made with leftover wood from our kitchen cabinets).

And play:

It helps that we're both gamers. It is how we fell in love almost 25 years ago after all.

Hope you enjoyed the tour, thanks for looking!
Jevenkah

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #549 on: February 08, 2015, 04:39:56 AM »
What an amazingly versatile space!  :o

-Todd

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #550 on: February 08, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
Wonderful space.

Wish I had it.  :D

Shows how much you get out of your hobby, and how much you put in.

Thanks for sharing.

sigh. back to my little study for me.

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #551 on: February 08, 2015, 04:59:02 PM »
Thanks all!

It's a wonderous space, with tall windows and lots of natural light. The versatility is key, as seen in these shots from preparing for a summer backpacking trip in between 2 game nights : http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=54058.msg829197#msg829197

It can get busy on the counter too, in striking one set to prepare for the next. This was tearing down League of Nil-ith Horn Chronicles #6 (#1 &#2 here) and setting up Sagas of the Gautrian Kings #48:

We've often talked about how therapeutic our hobby is for us. The inspiration we've gotten from the LAF has fueled many a project over here. I'm happy to share our fun!

Jevenkah

Offline TurnbullMW

• Lurker
« Reply #552 on: March 09, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
Well here's my modest space some time last year.
I was then attempting to balance working from home with getting some figures painted with having a life... Now the works out of the way at least for the immediate future I  have two less screens on the desk and a chance at last to do some significant painting ( I Hope) . Not pictured.. the pile of unpainted lead serving as shield in the event of a nuclear blast in London/putting a strain on the rafters below

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #553 on: March 30, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »
Here's a picture of my workbench in a very rare state - organized

I finally broke down and bought a commercial workbench that when cleaned up passes the wife requirements for apperances. 

I only wish the same could be said of me.....
Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2015, 01:49:25 PM »
Where is that gorgeous workbench from, pray tell?  :-*
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."