Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:45:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mexican Posse Project  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
I've started the Mexican Outlaw Posse that I mentioned over on the Workbench forum the other day.

No photos at the moment as I forgot to bring the camera along but so far I've cleaned and based up most of the twelve figure posse including four mounted figures. They're a mixture of (newer) Foundry and Artizan, basically all the Mexicans I could get hold of from both ranges! I may have a rummage through the lead mountain for one or two additional figures to add as gunslingers or other hired guns when I get home tonight.

Tomorrow I've got to clean and base the last couple of figures before adding the ground texture to the bases and giving everything a nice undercoat. The last lot of Old West figures that I painted had a light brown undercoat which worked quite well. This time I'm going to use a white undercoat which should complement the browns shades and off whites I'm planning to use on the figures.

I'll let you know how it goes same time tomorrow, hopefully with some photos.

Cheers

Jim

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »
I had a rummage and have added a Black Scorpion gunslinger to the posse as well. When based he scales nicely against the Foundry and Artizan figures as they have large hats which help to hide the difference in height, Black Scorpion figures tending to be on the large side.

On my expedition through the lead mountain I also uncovered some nice Foundry Darkest Africa Victorian ladies which I'm going to make into another 'different' posse...probably law(women)?

I'm basing up at the moment, using a mixture of filler, PVA and sand. Messy but it should look good in the end. I should finish by the end of the day and I'll aim to get some work in progress photos up this evening.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 01:29:29 PM »
Looking forward to the photos!

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »
I started painting today after cleaning, basing and undercoating over the last two days. It tool quite a while to get this done as I was also keeping a watchful eye on the kids...and I'm slow anyway! Whilst they've been painting up their LOTR figures (quite well in fact, given that half of them are new to gaming) we've been watching the LOTR trilogy on the projector, which also tends to distract a little.

Anyway, it's been a day of blocking in with some basic shades, lots of buffs, browns and other toned down colours.

As you can see there's quite a lot to do and it's all looking a little bit 'beige' so far.

There are a few more figures in the posse but as I'm not sure if the links to the photos will work anyway, you'll have to wait till tomorrow for the whole lot. It's a bit more colour tomorrow, although still mainly blocking in.

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
Well, that didn't seem to work!

I'll try this instead:

If that works I'll eat my sombrero...

Offline Buzgob

• Librarian
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 08:50:48 AM »
Hehe, enjoy the meal  :lol:
Nice start, hombre!!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 AM »
Hi Boggler

They are looking good - well done :)
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »
Thanks Helen,

I'm hoping to have more photos for you by the end of the day, although it's going to be later rather than earlier. So far today I've been blocking in and have nearly finished some of the figures, perhaps around half of the twelve. I'm running out of shades though as I don't want to go too far off on a tangent so that the posse still has a common 'theme'. I've been using foundry paints, which are great for this sort of thing, but have also tried out some of the new GW paints...very easy to use as they're easily diluted and cover well.

More later....

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
Here we go:

Not a lot of progress...but I'm getting there slowly :wink: [/img]

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:24:39 AM »
Today is the last day of the activity week so I'm going to try to get as much final blocking in done as I can. That way I'll be able to start layering and shading when I get the time over the next month or so. I don't expect I'll get much time as my wife is having another baby in a few days time so I'll be up all night and zombiefied all day for the next six months :D

Anyway, I'll post new pictures as and when things move forward. I'm hoping to use the posse in a month or so at the local club so I'll have to get them finished by then. I told you I was a slow painter!  :lol:

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 08:26:16 AM »
Not sure about thre blue (grey eventually) poncho / blanket on the mounted figure...what do you think?

Offline revford

• Mastermind
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »
Quote from: "Boggler"
Not sure about thre blue (grey eventually) poncho / blanket on the mounted figure...what do you think?

It will look fine once it gets a highlight.  Maybe a white trim or other pattern may soften the look a bit?
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Oswald_Thierstein

• Student
    • Wargames club selestat - center alsace
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 11:04:11 PM »
Hello,
there are nice figures.
 :)
I have the same posse with artizan and foundry figures.
I have just add some foundry mexican peones to my posse.
good luck for the next fight in new-mexico.
oswald

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Mexican Posse Project
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
I've finally (six months later  :roll: ) got round to finishing these figures off although I've got a few more stages left to go before they're done and dusted.

I'll post some photos as soon  as they're in a decent enough state to be presentable.