Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:52:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Demo game advice, please!  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Demo game advice, please!
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
I am planning to run demo games of (amongst others) Strange Aeons in the nearest club (my old club, actually) somewhen during fall this year.

Any advice on the best approach to hook newcomers? They may be from 10 to 50 years old...

I'd like to have a couple of demo scenarios planned and prepared for well in advance of the actual event, so I better start soon!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Demo game advice, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
It's hard to get it wrong as the rules are tight and simple to grasp. Just don't involve the campaign system as it can be a bit tricky to grasp at first.
I'd start with two agents and one character (Tommygun, Double barrel, 2 pistols) against a nice variety of models, like:

Cultist Leader (5) (.22)
Cultist (1) (.22)
Cultist (1) (Bowie Knife)
Cultist (Double Barrel)
Fishman (6)

Introduce a simple scenario (Retrieve the Artifacts is nice) and keep it simple. You can highlight the campaign system after a demo to show what would happen if the game continues to make the players want more ("Now if we had continued, the character and this agent would have received a free skill (pick the cool ones), they might had found some interesting map pieces so they could hire a commando or maybe even a sniper!" etc. etc.).
If the con isn't that crowded you can also switch sides with the players, so both can play the goos guys and the bad guys.

But most importantly: have fun and let them have fun 8)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »
It's hard to get it wrong as the rules are tight and simple to grasp. Just don't involve the campaign system as it can be a bit tricky to grasp at first.
I'd start with two agents and one character (Tommygun, Double barrel, 2 pistols) against a nice variety of models, like:

Cultist Leader (5) (.22)
Cultist (1) (.22)
Cultist (1) (Bowie Knife)
Cultist (Double Barrel)
Fishman (6)

Introduce a simple scenario (Retrieve the Artifacts is nice) and keep it simple. You can highlight the campaign system after a demo to show what would happen if the game continues to make the players want more ("Now if we had continued, the character and this agent would have received a free skill (pick the cool ones), they might had found some interesting map pieces so they could hire a commando or maybe even a sniper!" etc. etc.).
If the con isn't that crowded you can also switch sides with the players, so both can play the goos guys and the bad guys.

But most importantly: have fun and let them have fun 8)

Very close to the first game I ever played (we simply rolled 'Retrieve the Artifacts'), and I like the feeling of urgency in getting the crates before the opponent.

It won't be a con, but a simple Saturday or Sunday where the club is usually open, and I (and hopefully Duregar) go there, set up 2 or 3 tables, and then go from there with anyone interested (It will be announced in advance at the club, I think/hope).

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
I agree with Mal, this is how we 'officially' demo the game. Retrieve The Artifacts is a great starter and if interest is there for a second game I usually play a Quest Scenario with a little more 'horror' flavor...The Devil's Hop Yard being my personal favorite.

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
IMHO...

Good looking minis and terrain will always draw people in- no matter the game or genre.

Having good energy, enthusiasm for the game, and to paraphrase Malebolgia, 'letting them have fun', will set the hook.

It sounds like you have the right idea already! ;)
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
OK, let's see if we can get some GW fan-boys converted  ;)

I intend to try to get more people around here involved in non-GW gaming.

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
I never played strange aeons but have demo alot of different games in my gaming years the few basic with demoing any games is always be polite and never talk down to anyone.
explan the rules briefly before you start
if possible dont play let as many people play as possible.
if you do play dont wipe the other player out like you would do a regualar game make a few mistakes to let them get the best of you and get a better feel of the rules.
aways act like your having a blast A few ooh , awes and whoops never hert and can dawn people into play the next game.
never put down another game let your game do the talking
i did a demo in may and ran the same game for about 10 hours with a 30min break in the middle but I had fun the whole time and so did the players I think that what hooks future players is am I going to have fun playing this game
I hope that helped a little