Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Re: WIP: Another Victorian Street....UPDATE NEW PICS 09 August 2010  (Read 20970 times)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: WIP: Another Victorian Street
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:33 AM »
Lovely and a great idea,steampunk and VSF here I come.......... 8)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
simply (not so simple!!) a marvel -just one thing if the interiors are slot in boxes can a number be made for the changing years perhaps WWII to 1960/1970 ""Geezers"
gan canny kidder!

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.

The store fronts are indeed Grandt Line. I've used "S" Scale ( 1:64) as the O scale stuff is massive IMHO compared to 28mm minis. I bought an O scale door and window set from Grandt line and they made even my based minis look like little children.
I originally thought the S scale looked a little small but because my minis all have large bases they tend to stand a lot taller than in "life".
The front upper windows are O scale by RATIO,the small windows to the rear are from antenocitis' workshop and are a bit of a bargain coming in packs of 20!!!

The intend using the internal boxes for my "print and build" buildings aswell and they gave me good practice for using lighting effects in photoshoppe.
I like the idea of changing the boxes to fit an era ( a long with removable shop signs) and might well "borrow" that idea.

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »

I've used "S" Scale ( 1:64) as the O scale stuff is massive IMHO compared to 28mm minis. I bought an O scale door and window set from Grandt line and they made even my based minis look like little children.

Same here. If anyone gets a bee in their bonnet about it (and they have) I just hide behind the excuse its 'representative' of the real thing. Then I beat them with a blunt spoon.

I might have to get a tutorial from you on yor shop interiors, they are smashing.  :-* I keep coming back for another look.   
Don't!

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »
"I might have to get a tutorial from you on yor shop interiors, they are smashing.  Love I keep coming back for another look."

Same here! Truly outstanding stuff as always!
Please,please,please help us mere mortals enjoy some of your modelling genius and give us a sermon on how to do those funky interiors! PLEASE!!!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:06 PM »
Lovely work - quite marvelous.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
Stunning  :-* :-* :-* :-* :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Just finished the roof ( cutting out the shingles was a real pain!!!!!) and dormer windows.
I will post some pics when I can handle the roof ( still wet).

Thanks for the comment about the interiors. Hmmm... a tutorial... Really hard to do without quite a few pages.
Most of the stuff I know is purely self taught and not the "Proper Way" of doing things.
I basic terms If I want a particular item, say a bookcase for instance, I trawl the net looking for a suitable image ( making sure their are no copyright issues!). I cut away any background features using photoshop and use the colour settings to get the desired tone.
The difficult part is if I want to have items inside others. This means I have to create several "layers" using the same image, cutting out portions of the front layers so items behind remain visible ( keeping bookcase doors solid but cutting out windows). To maintain the effect of the items being behind glass I had another layer but increased the image's transparency.
One the item is all together it's then down to lighting. Photoshop allows you to create "Global lighting" so the items conform to a set light source wihin one image. You can also create spotlights to highlight certain areas ( like the glow of a lamp.) Finally you can create shadows if a layer is placed on top of another to create a 3d quality.
Not much help I know, I findit easier to show someone rather than explain it.
Here's an example of the bookcase in the Magick Shoppe.
The first image is raw straight off the net:

The next image consists of about 20 layers, including books a crystal skull and a "hand of glory":

A real boon to me was a simple tutorial book and some pointers from my brother ( his skills are astonishing and well beyond me).

Regards
PM

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
amazing!  :-*. Honestly, I feel humbled. The work you have already put into that is amazing.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »
This photo manipulation thing in combination with the real building is taking "virtual model building" one step further. I am speechless...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 06:07:44 PM »
Quite simply amazing...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
Just finished the roof ( cutting out the shingles was a real pain!!!!!)

I might be able to help there...

http://brandlin.blogspot.com/p/store.html#ecwid:category=329271&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

Am happy to entertain suggestions/requests for different styles and sizes.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 11:15:35 PM »
Thanks Brandlin, I'll keep you in mind before i blunt any more knife blades!!!

Just a quick pick of the roof on and the dormers in ( the dormers still need shingles though) and chimneys in place.
That's most of the "real world" stuff done, now back to the interior.......

Regards
PM

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »
Looks fantastic, Pappa Midnight! Now "all" you need to do is finish the tiles on the dormer windows, paint the whole thing, and take some pictures of your Victorian zombies/zombie hunters out front. It's going to look amazing! This project - zombie hunting with style - just gets better and better with every update and development. Excellent, inspiring, and just oozing cool. Keep it up!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 12:40:37 PM »
Wow!  :-*

Mind if I copy your dormer windows?